The Ryan McDonagh Appreciation thread -- it's about time for one

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Ironically, I'm very critical of him this year. I don't think his focus level is where it should be at - where it's been at for the last 2 seasons.

Love him but soooooo many mental lapses this year.

Then again.. the whole team has had this problem.

Yeah well nahhhhh

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Ironically, I'm very critical of him this year. I don't think his focus level is where it should be at - where it's been at for the last 2 seasons.

Love him but soooooo many mental lapses this year.

Then again.. the whole team has had this problem.

He's had lapses, but without a doubt still the best and most consistent defensemen and it's not even close. Stralman is probably behind him somewhere in the rearview.

It's hard for any player to play a perfect game every game given what this team has produced thus far this season. I don't think there is anything wrong with being critical of the team's best players as long as that criticism is also taking in to consideration the regular level of play exerted by said players.

Which is why the Lundqvist "discussions" going on right now are a travesty.

McD should be wearing every letter right now except one 'A' which should be on Zucc's chest.

BarbaraAlphanse

He's had lapses, but without a doubt still the best and most consistent defensemen and it's not even close. Stralman is probably behind him somewhere in the rearview.

It's hard for any player to play a perfect game every game given what this team has produced thus far this season. I don't think there is anything wrong with being critical of the team's best players as long as that criticism is also taking in to consideration the regular level of play exerted by said players.

Which is why the Lundqvist "discussions" going on right now are a travesty.

McD should be wearing every letter right now except one 'A' which should be on Zucc's chest.

I think he definitely has been our best defenseman. I've just been very critical of him. I don't think our coaching staff is teaching our players how to focus properly. He makes really good flashy plays that indicate how skilled he is but then he'll come back the next game to make a string of head scratching plays.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I think he definitely has been our best defenseman. I've just been very critical of him. I don't think our coaching staff is teaching our players how to focus properly. He makes really good flashy plays that indicate how skilled he is but then he'll come back the next game to make a string of head scratching plays.

That may very well be an issue with focus, which some onus falls on the coaching staff, but I also think it is McD himself trying to transition his game to a more two-way style that implements some offensive flair. That will take some adjustment on both sides of his game.

Everyone deserves scrutiny at times, but it's really hard to not let a few bone head plays now and then from your most consistent players roll off your back given the state of this atrocious roster.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Any "rough stretch" he has lasts on a game to game basis, not week to week. The only prolonged bad stretch of his I can remember was in February (or March?) of 2011-2012 where we went .500 for the month. Besides that, any bad play is an aberration that is usually gone after the game, if not the period.

Only possible thing he could add to his game is being more physical, which we see flashes of. I'm not gonna push our RYan Suter to be anything more than he already is though.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Wait, was there seriously a thread where people said Franson is better than McDonagh?

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He'll be a Top-5 defenseman in the League in 2-3 years. Said it last year when all you guys were praising Staal and saying he was our true #1. It's was McD then and it's McD now and it'll hopefully be him for the next 15+ years

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
McD is the guy. We are lucky to have him.

there was a great gif from the 2012 playoffs of him stopping a breakaway and depositing the opposing player in the net.

RangersHank*

Why should McD wear a letter? Letters arent for the best players, they are for leaders and we have no leaders on this team. IMO, nobody should have a letters.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
mcdonagh.gif

J0qYncz.gif

perrybench.gif

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
He'll be a Top-5 defenseman in the League in 2-3 years. Said it last year when all you guys were praising Staal and saying he was our true #1. It's was McD then and it's McD now and it'll hopefully be him for the next 15+ years

He's already top 5

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
He's made some mistakes this year, but I think that's a result of him expanding his offense and trying to be a more complete player. The guys a stud, and he's going to get even better before all is said and done.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm sorry I'm still not convinced OEL is that much better than McDonagh. I'm just not.

Even though that's like the universal HF consensus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad