The Rest of This Year and Beyond

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Apparently Bob Murray said Eaves will play again. If not this year, then next. He'll know this weekend if he will be back this season

THE PUCK NETWORK - Ducks N Pucks - Hockey Hot Stove With Bob Murray

Thank you for this.

the fact that a fan's podcast gets more news Duck related than any f***ing member of our media is a joke.

I wonder what the "side thing" is with Eaves?

The "we want another Josh Manson type" makes me nervous and excited at the same time. We need another clone of Manson badly, but that doesn't mean overpay one or one that is 40 years old.

Last edited:

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Thank you for this.

the fact that a fan's podcast gets more news Duck related than any ****ing member of our media is a joke.

The "we want another Josh Manson type" makes me nervous and excited at the same time. We need another clone of Manson badly, but that doesn't mean overpay one or one's that 40 years old.

This was my reaction as well. I may be out in left field, but I know Dallas has been trying to beef up their RW for a while, and depending on Nichushkin's plans, I wonder if something around Silf for Johns could make sense.

Nice to have a definitive sense that Eaves is coming back. That seems to go against the grain of what many were (rightfully) assuming. I'm glad he mentioned Terry, it may be a 'no duh' statement, but it's good to put it out there that TT's a priority this season. It may be a longshot, but that means there's a chance that both Eaves and Terry could be available for a potential run. Could change the look of things quite a bit (defense notwithstanding).

Also good to have clarity on the fact that Murray doesn't want to go through a rebuild. No big surprise, but it should help shape some of the discussion to a finer point when that is a given.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Thank you for this.

the fact that a fan's podcast gets more news Duck related than any ****ing member of our media is a joke.

The "we want another Josh Manson type" makes me nervous and excited at the same time. We need another clone of Manson badly, but that doesn't mean overpay one or one's that 40 years old.
I asked The Weeknd about the side thing and he said it was it out of my league too, yah. That guy's no help.

Edit - also, Karlsson is no Manson type.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The fact that Murray wants Terry to come play this season after college season ends is intriguing

He would only be eligible for the regular season given he would sign after the deadline right? Or have they changed the college player rules since last time we had a decent one sign at the end of their season.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Apparently Bob Murray said Eaves will play again. If not this year, then next. He'll know this weekend if he will be back this season

THE PUCK NETWORK - Ducks N Pucks - Hockey Hot Stove With Bob Murray

That article while not expressly staying it kind of implies the Vatanen for Henrique deal could have gone down at the draft. I love Henrique but I sure would love to have Theodore and no Bieksa about now...

I also like what I’ve seen from Pettersson but he’s still far from nhl ready and I hope the plan isn’t to keep Manson babysitting him in the playoffs. Manson’s play has really gone down a notch since he’s been put down on that pairing.

Reactions: Duck Off

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
No he's good because he was on the reserve list. No different than Charlie McAvoy last year amongst others.

Ok that’s good then. I remember when Bonino came in in 2010 I think they said he wouldn’t be eligible to play in playoffs but he got some regular season games in. Turns out we missed the playoffs anyway but we were still in the hunt at that point.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Troy Terry could be our Frederik Gaudreau, Last playoffs the final four teams were held together by glue, need some fresh healthy bodies to come in and play with nothing to lose.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Terry was clearly better than Kelly at the Olympics. He could be a huge add for Carlyle to play 5 minutes a game in the playoffs.

Reactions: Duck Off

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Since there were no quotes used, it's hard to tell exactly what Bob did or didn't say about Terry. The way the article reads I wonder if Bob has an inkling that he has a good chance to sign Terry asap (post DU season) and that if signed, get Terry into some NHL games?

Too bad Stephens couldn't be bothered to actually attend something like this or even better, schedule a one on one with Bob himself. After all he's practically the team's only non paid mouth piece.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
That article while not expressly staying it kind of implies the Vatanen for Henrique deal could have gone down at the draft. I love Henrique but I sure would love to have Theodore and no Bieksa about now...

I also like what I’ve seen from Pettersson but he’s still far from nhl ready and I hope the plan isn’t to keep Manson babysitting him in the playoffs. Manson’s play has really gone down a notch since he’s been put down on that pairing.

Ever broken a tooth and had that pain? And how you keep poking it with your tongue making it hurt again. I’d rather have that than Bieksa right now

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Since there were no quotes used, it's hard to tell exactly what Bob did or didn't say about Terry. The way the article reads I wonder if Bob has an inkling that he has a good chance to sign Terry asap (post DU season) and that if signed, get Terry into some NHL games?

Too bad Stephens couldn't be bothered to actually attend something like this or even better, schedule a one on one with Bob himself. After all he's practically the team's only non paid mouth piece.
Not usually one to defend Stephens, but this was a season ticket holder only event, so I’m guessing no press were allowed. That is, unless you count Kent French, Hayward, etc. press.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Not usually one to defend Stephens, but this was a season ticket holder only event, so I’m guessing no press were allowed. That is, unless you count Kent French, Hayward, etc. press.
Can't imagine why the press wouldn't be allowed. You know Bob would never say anything to even one person publicly if he didn't want it know to the world.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Can't imagine why the press wouldn't be allowed. You know Bob would never say anything to even one person publicly if he didn't want it know to the world.
Whether they’re allowed or not, I’m not sure so maybe it is a laziness issue I have no idea. But I’ve been to several of these over the years, and I’ve never seen any reporters or cameras other than those belonging to the team. These sessions are a special privilege for SSH and I always assumed they don’t want any distraction or interference from press.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Whether they’re allowed or not, I’m not sure so maybe it is a laziness issue I have no idea. But I’ve been to several of these over the years, and I’ve never seen any reporters or cameras other than those belonging to the team. These sessions are a special privilege for SSH and I always assumed they don’t want any distraction or interference from press.
Well, if this were Toronto I could see that. Given we have no press to speak of and Stephens has never asked a tough question in his life, I can't imagine why he wouldn't be invited to hang around. Yeah, it is a perk for STH but again, Bob's not letting anything out he wants to keep secret.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
This was my reaction as well. I may be out in left field, but I know Dallas has been trying to beef up their RW for a while, and depending on Nichushkin's plans, I wonder if something around Silf for Johns could make sense.

Nice to have a definitive sense that Eaves is coming back. That seems to go against the grain of what many were (rightfully) assuming. I'm glad he mentioned Terry, it may be a 'no duh' statement, but it's good to put it out there that TT's a priority this season. It may be a longshot, but that means there's a chance that both Eaves and Terry could be available for a potential run. Could change the look of things quite a bit (defense notwithstanding).

Also good to have clarity on the fact that Murray doesn't want to go through a rebuild. No big surprise, but it should help shape some of the discussion to a finer point when that is a given.
I've been told eaves is definitely out this year but is expected back at the start of next year.

Last edited:

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Well, if this were Toronto I could see that. Given we have no press to speak of and Stephens has never asked a tough question in his life, I can't imagine why he wouldn't be invited to hang around. Yeah, it is a perk for STH but again, Bob's not letting anything out he wants to keep secret.
Just to give you a definite answer on this, Stephens told someone on his Twitter that reporters have always been kept out of these things, and that he’s “let his feelings be known” on the matter. I don’t know what that means exactly, but I’m guessing that he would like to have access.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Just to give you a definite answer on this, Stephens told someone on his Twitter that reporters have always been kept out of these things, and that he’s “let his feelings be known” on the matter. I don’t know what that means exactly, but I’m guessing that he would like to have access.
OK, thanks. That's really stupid if they intentionally keep him out. Like I said, this ain't exactly Toronto. ;)

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Next season:

Rakell - Getzlaf (NMC) - Perry (NMC)
Ritchie (RFA) - Henrique - Kase (RFA)
Cogliano (NTC) - Kesler (NMC) - Silfverberg
X - X - Eaves (?)(NTC)

Fowler (NTC) - Montour (RFA)
Lindholm - Manson (NTC*)
X - X
Holzer

Gibson - Miller (NTC)

* Start of 19-20 season

Total cap hit: $63 million
Total salaries: $68.8 million
Estimated cap space: $12 million

Guys fighting for roster spots:
Roy (RFA), Kossila (RFA), Kerdiles (RFA), Welinski (RFA), Jones, Steel, Terry (?), Larsson, Pettersson, Mahura, Megna, Blandisi, Fiore, maybe more?

The "crew" is definitely not going to change a lot, that much is certain. As it currently stands, we only have four roster spots available, and could have a LOT of guys competing for those. One doesn't have to be a genius to realize that we may have a problem here.

One thing is certain though -- IF we choose to extend some of these guys, this is absolutely the last chance for Roy, Kossila, Kerdiles, Welinski, Blandisi and Megna to crack the NHL roster. They'll soon lose their waiver exemption status, if they haven't already, and we're all perfectly aware of how Bob likes to handle those situations...

Not sure if $12 million is enough to sign our key RFAs and fill the vacant roster spots, especially when Bob is on tape saying that he wants to somehow bring in another "Josh Manson", and that he wants to add another goalie on a long-term contract. Bob will no doubt nickel and dime Ritchie onto a bridge deal of some sort, but I'd look for longer-term contracts for Montour and Kase, perhaps somewhere in the $3 million AAV range each?

If the money isn't enough, the attention then turns to Silfverberg and Henrique, who only have a year remaining on their contracts and have relatively large salaries ($3.75 and $5.5 million, respectively). Silf's play as of late has definitely put him on the trade board, if he doesn't pick up the pace I'd say there's a fairly good chance that he's getting dealt during the offseason. No idea what Bob does with Henrique, but one thing is for certain -- if that NJ 3rd rounder is all that he has to show from that Vatanen trade, he's going to look like an absolute idiot. IMO he either has to extend Rico or trade him to get some futures, but he can't afford to just let Rico hit UFA.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
No idea what Bob does with Henrique, but one thing is for certain -- if that NJ 3rd rounder is all that he has to show from that Vatanen trade, he's going to look like an absolute idiot. IMO he either has to extend Rico or trade him to get some futures, but he can't afford to just let Rico hit UFA.

Especially since that's effectively the return for Vats and Theo, or at least that's the optics of it. I'm still just shaking my head in amazement that they chose to go that route rather than dealing with the KB situation via buyout or at least asking him to waive. What a myriad of problems that would have solved

Reactions: Getzmonster

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Especially since that's effectively the return for Vats and Theo, or at least that's the optics of it. I'm still just shaking my head in amazement that they chose to go that route rather than dealing with the KB situation via buyout or at least asking him to waive. What a myriad of problems that would have solved
What am I missing here that getting bxa to waive would’ve solved that problem? We still had 4 dmen to protect and only 3 spots available?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad