The Rest of This Year and Beyond

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Anaheim Ducks - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

So, now that the TDL has come and gone (not with a bang, but a whimper), would like to discuss what you think the future holds for the Ducks. Would appreciate honest and reasonable discussion, but maybe that's a lot to ask after what just happened.

GM / Coach: Figure not much is going to change with GMBM and your coach and mine, RC.

Players: So, according to CapFriendly:
  • UFAs locked up past 2017-18: Getz, Perry, Kesler, Henrique, Raks, Silf, Eaves, Cogs, Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Gibson (technically RFA though but whatever), Miller. Total 8 forwards, 3 defense, both goalies.
  • UFAs whose contracts are up after this season and are (hopefully) not going to be re-signed: Chimera, Vermette, Kelly, Bieksa, Beauchemin.
  • UFAs / RFAs (not including Pettersson or other AHLers) who we probably should re-sign: Kossila, Ritchie (yeah I know, I know), Kase, Montour. Maybe also JT Brown (shrug) and Grant.
  • Non-NHLers in the wings for maybe near future: Roy, Welinski, Jones, Steel, Larsson, Fiore, Terry (anyone else I'm missing that has good potential?)
My bottom line, I feel that this was just a really poor season overall...unlucky injuries possibly being a main cause of us never getting team cohesion. A lot of players underperforming, and not being able to make up for Bieksa and (armchair) coaching decisions.

I feel Getzlaf still has plenty in the tank. Perry less reliable but still a 50 point player. Kesler expect somewhat of a rebound once he fully heals. Eaves expect him back next season (this is my belief at least). With no Beauch or Bieksa, expect better overall stability and performance on D.

In all, think we'll be competitive next season, hopefully with some decent off-season signings, some renewed contracts (lookin' at you, Rico), and some opportunities for rookies. I might be an optimist, but there it is.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 of Kerdiles/Kossila/Roy/Terry (if he signs) in the lineup to start next season. They sure as f***ing hell better sign Henrique.

One of Cogs/Silf should go, since we decided to randomly sign Cogs most likely Silf.

JT Brown can go, Grant should be re-signed (he has an awesome player to have) but our coach seems to hate him for whatever reason so he will probably be gone as well.

The whole list of UFA can go and it would be an upgrade

I really hope we sign Terry.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
1. Shut Kesler down for the rest of the season. Make sure he's as healthy as possible to start next year.
2. Get Terry signed once his college season ends and get him some games in.
3. Hope and pray we can hit some lottery ball magic like Dallas did last year.
4. This is the most important one- Find a coach and GM that know what it takes to put together a team in the modern age. Yes, that means fast, attacking hockey. Not passive D zone play combined with dump and don't chase hockey.
5. Trade Silf for futures unless his contract demands are in line with his current deal.
6. NO MORE BIEKSA LIKE SIGNINGS
7. Rico extension

Reactions: Spazkat and Mallard

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
after today and the last 2 games, my interest level in keeping up with the ducks has dropped a bit for the remainder of the season, with all the crazy TDL moves im very excited to see how TB and Winnipeg too, i'll be following them a bit as we move forward.

Looking forward to the off-season/draft as thats always a very fun time for us. and PLEASE PLEASE i hope we sign terry

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
At least you don't have to worry much about LA or SJ winning the cup (knock on wood) with all the powerhouse teams out there

That's better than we can say about some recent years

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
At least you don't have to worry much about LA or SJ winning the cup (knock on wood) with all the powerhouse teams out there

That's better than we can say about some recent years
I honestly don't think LA or Sj can beat us in a playoff series, no chance either win a cup

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I honestly don't think LA or Sj can beat us in a playoff series, no chance either win a cup
SJ would in my opinion. Kane's a big add and if Thornton can get healthy they'll be pretty solid. The Kane deal was a good move for them. They will have a legit chance to re-sign him too, and if not you only gave up a 2nd round pick and a meh prospect. Honestly have no idea what Vegas is thinking overpaying for Tatar instead of beating SJ's offer for Kane

LA has been a disaster since they won their 2nd cup.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
2018/19 line combos (just having fun):

1F: Rakell, Getzlaf, Healthy Eaves
2F: Henrique, Terry or Steel, Perry
3F: Cogliano, Healthy Kesler, Kase
4F: Kossila, Grant, new signing

1D: Lindholm, Montour
2D: Fowler, Manson
3D: Pettersson / Larsson / Megna / Welinski + new signing (or hell, combine two and shelter them)

In the wings (depth AHL or trade): Ritchie, Silfverberg, Jones (not trade in this case), Fiore, Tropp, Roy

UFAs to consider: Calvin de Haan, Ian Cole (if he's not re-signed), Patric Hornqvist

That look good? Bad?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
As for the rest of the season and beyond.

Season- Whatever happens happens, if we make the playoffs great, if we don't great I don't really care at this point.
Judging by our moves, were not planning on giving any of our younger guys a look/chance this season like kerdelis/kossila/Larsson/welinski/etc. which is unfortunate because I'm interested to see if any could leave a good impression before the offseason so we have a better idea of what we have in the AHL/NHL ready players.

Our GM/Coach are stuck in the past, building teams the old way getting "vets" when youth is clearly the way to go now... something needs to change with them, we are not going to go anywhere signing guys like bieska + Chimera as our solutions.

I would much rather have seen guys like Pettersson, Larson, megna, welinski all year over guys like beauchmin/bieska, and same can be said up front Kelly/chimera/vermette are likely taking spots away form guys like kossila/roy/fiore/kerdelis.

Kesler should be taken out of the line up the rest of the year, hes clearly not 100%... might as well let him get a full off season and hope he can come back and play closer to himself next season. Throw our shitty game plans out the window.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

3D: Pettersson / Larsson / Megna / Welinski + new signing (or hell, combine two and shelter them)

In the wings (depth AHL or trade): Ritchie, Silfverberg, Jones (not trade in this case), Fiore, Tropp, Roy

UFAs to consider: Calvin de Haan, Ian Cole (if he's not re-signed), Patric Hornqvist

That look good? Bad?
I'm not holding my breath on Eaves coming back, and I don't think we should sign players to fill our 3rd and 4th line, and bottom pairing on defense... we have a lot of players that could fight for those positions and likely do as well as anyone we would sign to play there.

At forward I think guys like Kossila, Fiore, Kerdelis, Jones, Terry, Steel and even Comtois have legit shots to make some noise at camp/preseason and possibly earn a spot on the roster.

On defense... I think we should honestly just roll with Larsson and Welinski, Mahura being a dark horse to win a spot but I think well put him in the AHL for some seasoning.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
What could Perry fetch in a trade?

Can we swing us a 1st straight up? He's not a huge liability, and I dont even know if he has value. I'd move him before I moved Silf.

At least COREY PERRY name still has some value around the league, especially if you look at his inflated stats.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA

Can we swing us a 1st straight up? He's not a huge liability, and I dont even know if he has value. I'd move him before I moved Silf.

At least COREY PERRY name still has some value around the league, especially if you look at his inflated stats.
My guess, if it involves us getting a 1st rounder back, it's a multi-part trade. Perry is in pretty obvious decline and has a very hefty salary. We'd have to throw in something to sweeten the deal, is my guess.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Well perry I'm pretty sure has a NTC, and I'm guessing its a full ntc... so unless he agrees to the team its not happening. His 8.6 mil cap hit for 3 more seasons after this ... only was I see it happening is if we take a bad contract back, basically I doubt its happening any time soon, maybe towards the end of the contract if he can continue to be a 50+ point guy... someone might take him for 2 playoff runs.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
3 more years of Perry after this one isn't the end of the world. I keep thinking he has one of those ridiculous contracts that runs for like 13 years. But he signed it a few years ago.. oh well.

On a budget team, a contract like his sucks.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
I actually like what BM did..he basically is putting it on this group, and they will have to wear the results of this season....we cant really blame injury since this team was right in the thick of it when everyone came back (yes i know kesler being back isnt really back)...we have given up to many chips on this core in the hopes to get them over the top and its never enough...I personally hope for MAJOR changes..

1)New coach/New system
2)Get younger/faster
3)Get players who know how to put a puck in the net
4)Get players who ACTUALLY CARE about losing
5)Change the culture of the locker room

problem is i know BM loves his vets (which is fine), but i think he is far to loyal to them and not loyal enough to the younger players....having RC makes this problem worse which is why i hope for a coach who understands the value of younger players... kind of a ying/yang thing

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If we don't clean house behind the bench this summer (and I doubt we will) no player moves will matter. Although still useful, Perry isn't worth his contract. Nobody wanted to believe it was happening last year but it did. We can only hope Getzlaf lasts longer but it's far from a given. We now know Kesler has quite possibly lost a step permanently due to his hip injury. Our 3 best and most expensive players are on the decline. It's only a question of how much and how fast. I didn't say they weren't useful, only that they they aren't what they once were (except maybe for Getz and that can't last much longer).

We have a solid core of younger vets who need better leadership and guidance from behind the bench. They are better than they are showing this year. The only way this team can age gracefully is to be guided by coaches who can work with vets and young players alike. In a salary cap league you have to have production from young, cheap players. A team that cannot focus on how best to integrate young players into today's NHL will be doormats forever. (see Oilers, Edmonton and Coyotes, Arizona). There will be no future success until RC and his staff are gone.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
If we don't clean house behind the bench this summer (and I doubt we will) no player moves will matter. Although still useful, Perry isn't worth his contract. Nobody wanted to believe it was happening last year but it did. We can only hope Getzlaf lasts longer but it's far from a given. We now know Kesler has quite possibly lost a step permanently due to his hip injury. Our 3 best and most expensive players are on the decline. It's only a question of how much and how fast. I didn't say they weren't useful, only that they they aren't what they once were (except maybe for Getz and that can't last much longer).

We have a solid core of younger vets who need better leadership and guidance from behind the bench. They are better than they are showing this year. The only way this team can age gracefully is to be guided by coaches who can work with vets and young players alike. In a salary cap league you have to have production from young, cheap players. A team that cannot focus on how best to integrate young players into today's NHL will be doormats forever. (see Oilers, Edmonton and Coyotes, Arizona). There will be no future success until RC and his staff are gone.
agree...I think RC is a good coach, but he is again to loyal to his vets and rides them and rides them, which might work with a team like the hawks or pens but i dont think our leadership has that same pride that those other teams leaders do....need a coach to come in and really challenge the leadership of this group and actually allow younger players to challenge and take spots from the vets....watching RC pull perry off the top line (which he shouldnt be playing on) for 2 shifts while kase takes those shifts, only to put perry right back on there after coasting on the 3rd/4th line is a JOKE.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Repost from the old thread:

I think we need to trade Silfverberg. He's our only valuable piece that makes sense to move if we're retooling (which is needed). Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler's contracts are too big to have value in a retool like this. We just signed Cogs so I think he stays (would've been fine moving him). Rakell, Henrique, and Kase should all be part of the new young core. All our defensemen except Beauchemin and Bieksa who are UFAs need to stay and will. Gibson stays.

The rest of the season (and possibly playoffs) needs to be about seeing what holes we can plug internally and what holes we'll need to patch through offseason trades or the free agent market. See what Roy, Kossila, Terry (if he comes over), and possibly Jones and Steel can do in top 6 roles. See what Pettersson, Welinski, Larsson, and maybe Megna can do in bottom 4 defense spots. If we can get a first for Silfverberg at the draft, take it. Don't re-sign Vermette, Kelly, or Chimera.

Next season run with:

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogliano-Kesler-Terry/Roy
Ritchie-Henrique-Kase
Terry/Roy-Kossila-Eaves/whoever

or, if Steel is NHL ready, we could possibly try:

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Henrique-Steel-Kase
Cogliano-Kesler-Terry/Roy
Ritchie-Kossila-Eaves/whoever

for defense:

Lindholm-Montour (hopefully Montour is ready to take top 4 role)
Fowler-Manson
Larsson/Pettersson-Welinski

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
SJ would in my opinion. Kane's a big add and if Thornton can get healthy they'll be pretty solid. The Kane deal was a good move for them. They will have a legit chance to re-sign him too, and if not you only gave up a 2nd round pick and a meh prospect. Honestly have no idea what Vegas is thinking overpaying for Tatar instead of beating SJ's offer for Kane

LA has been a disaster since they won their 2nd cup.

Tartar isn't a UFA to be and doesn't have troubles E. Kane has. E. Kane playing for Vegas would be a bad bad thing.

Reactions: Spazkat

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

That look good? Bad?
If Terry and Steel are decent I think we could have a solid lineup next year. I disagree with putting Kase with Cogs and Silf. He is was to skilled for a grinder line like that. I also don't think Perry is a top 9 forward next year. He scores some goals which is nice but he is already so slow that he causes a ton of problems with whatever line he is on. I like the d pairings but would love to get a decent defensemen on the 3rd pairing. I'd go with this

Rakell Getz Eaves (puck control and skill line)
Steel or Terry Henrique Kase (speed and skill line)
Cogs Kesler Silf (grinder shutdown)

Lindholm Montour (my favorite pairing that RC hates)
Fowler Manson
Depends on development of our young guys but I actually like most of them (I could be deluded from comparing them to Bieksa and Beauch)

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I'm not holding my breath on Eaves coming back, and I don't think we should sign players to fill our 3rd and 4th line, and bottom pairing on defense... we have a lot of players that could fight for those positions and likely do as well as anyone we would sign to play there.

At forward I think guys like Kossila, Fiore, Kerdelis, Jones, Terry, Steel and even Comtois have legit shots to make some noise at camp/preseason and possibly earn a spot on the roster.

On defense... I think we should honestly just roll with Larsson and Welinski, Mahura being a dark horse to win a spot but I think well put him in the AHL for some seasoning.

I spoke with my source with the Ducks and he said Eaves will definitely be ready by Sept. He said they tried to give it a go recently and it wasn't working out so they decided to shut it down but he said he will definitely be back next season.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

100% agree with all of this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad