The Ratings Thread - a lot of people watched wrestling on Super Tuesday, sort of

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That is bs. They did the entire promotion of that show around the fact that she might show up.

Just like they did for the first dance. One had a huge effect on ratings. The other did not.
No one is going to argue that Mercedes is CM Punk, so I don’t know why anyone would be holding her debut to CM Punk’s - either of them - as a comparable, so it doesn’t make sense that you would either.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
No one is going to argue that Mercedes is CM Punk, so I don’t know why anyone would be holding her debut to CM Punk’s - either of them - as a comparable, so it doesn’t make sense that you would either.
I compared the promotion around the show. I am saying it is a lame issue to excuse the rating (which is not poor, it is their average) by saying they did not advertise her.

Anyone who would care that she would be there likely knew. Saying it might have brought a little more.

Mercedes Mone is a good signing, just not a company altering one. Heck, that might be unfair as even Ospray and Okada are likely not company altering... and they do not have to be.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I compared the promotion around the show. I am saying it is a lame issue to excuse the rating (which is not poor, it is their average) by saying they did not advertise her.

Anyone who would care that she would be there likely knew. Saying it might have brought a little more.

Mercedes Mone is a good signing, just not a company altering one. Heck, that might be unfair as even Ospray and Okada are likely not company altering... and they do not have to be.
You mentioned the First Dance by name.

No one will say that her debuting is a game changer either but that doesn’t mean she shouldn’t have been advertised. That’s how you build buzz for a show by promoting what you have. Debuting Okada as a surprise was stupid too.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
With the way nothing is ever truly a surprise, i don’t mind them not advertising Mercedes, Okada or Ospreay

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Are we not getting to a point where Nielsen ratings are not a good enough capture of the true audience?

So many folks are moving to streaming options that do not show up in Nielsen stuff.

This weekly ratings argument seems pretty pointless in 2024.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I feel like that's just nitpicking...if you are a wrestling fan, you knew what to expect...
You knew what to expect because we’re sitting here talking about it. Their biggest demo is still in their 50’s, they’re not spending their time searching online to see if someone who is not an A-level star is showing up. We’ve had how many times that people even here were expecting Mercedes to show up? At least 3 or 4. Both companies have always done better when they tell their audience exactly what to expect.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Are we not getting to a point where Nielsen ratings are not a good enough capture of the true audience?

So many folks are moving to streaming options that do not show up in Nielsen stuff.

This weekly ratings argument seems pretty pointless in 2024.
I was told no on X bc wwe still pull big numbers not streaming lol

• Haha
Reactions: MAHJ71

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
1710524037379.png

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The Razor Ramon ones were classic too. I remember Mr. Perfect having some good ones leading up to his return from back surgery. Regal as the lumberjack was another classic that definitely didn't work.

The 2 best I remember were Ted DiBiase and Perfect. Ramon would be up there as well.

In the case of Mercedes Moan or any big named wrestler they get. Hyping it up before their first match wouldn't hurt. Maybe a couple Vinettes, promote a sit down interview one week, in person appearance the next to promote their first match the following week(or even on the next PPV).

Reactions: DaaaaB's

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Correct, they did not advertise her.

They literally billed the show as "Big bu$ine$$" from "Bo$$ton" a month ahead of time. Anybody who would give enough of a f*** about her to tune in because of her knew she was going to be there.

That being said, I'm not really sure why she's the central focus of the rating flop. I'm not a Sasha/Mercedes fan at all but her segment did well.

... The rating flopped because Tony has no idea how to book/format and put a trash main event on between two undercard wrestlers from their god awful women's division.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Well she is advertised for tomorrow so we shall see what the bounce back looks like

Probably wont be much of a "Bounce" at all. The show did roughly the 10 week average and the show seems to consistently draw 800K, give or take 25K. If anything, it probably doesn't open as strong or close as weak, unless Tony plans on booking another shitty main event.

Again, it's still weird to me that people are focusing on Mercedes when her segment did well.

What they really should be focused on is why Tony continues to put hot garbage main events on, and the fact that the Young Bucks, heel or face, have consistently driven people to change the channel. (And Tony just tied one of his new big signings to them)

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Probably wont be much of a "Bounce" at all. The show did roughly the 10 week average and the show seems to consistently draw 800K, give or take 25K. If anything, it probably doesn't open as strong or close as weak, unless Tony plans on booking another shitty main event.

Again, it's still weird to me that people are focusing on Mercedes when her segment did well.

What they really should be focused on is why Tony continues to put hot garbage main events on, and the fact that the Young Bucks, heel or face, have consistently driven people to change the channel. (And Tony just tied one of his new big signings to them)

Maybe the Bucks are hoping Okada can pull them up a bit as opposed to them dragging him down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad