The Ratings Thread - a lot of people watched wrestling on Super Tuesday, sort of

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Total viewers means jack shit, demo is the only thing that does.

Yes and no. In terms of selling advertisement you would be correct. In terms of trying to create an audience to buy PPVs, merchandise, tickets to live events, you probably care a bit more about total viewers.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Advertisers also just don't pay the same rates for wrestling programs even if they have high demos because they feel that audience, irregardless of age, isn't going to spend money on products.

But total viewers definitely means something.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Total viewers means jack shit, demo is the only thing that does.

If AEW is that concerned with ad money they probably shouldn't be saturating their product with every single negative stereotype that has turned advertisers off of wrestling for the last 20 years.

... Not to mention the graphic you quoted literally established that AEW is in the red the last four quarters, year over year, in the key demo.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well whatever people think, the press conference fall out has produced some big numbers. Smackdown pulled a huge number and Seth/Cody on Monday peaked RAW over 2 million

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Normal Dynamite this week.

Peak of the show was Page/Swerve/Joe promo. Along with Mox vs Dax (though they had lead in help)

Edge/ Garcia saw a massive lose in viewers. Page/swerve/Joe brought them back.

Bucks, Bullet Club gold, and the women all lost viewers. Orange gained some back in the overrun.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
779 K and .27 for Dynamite this week.

Not counting quarter 1 since it's always the highest due to overrun, highest quarter of the show was Okada's debut. Peaked at 865k.

Lowest was the Ospreay/Fletcher main event at 654K

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
That's stunning to me...hopefully next week they see growth...a few solid weeks and nothing in ratings to show

Reactions: MAHJ71

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They didn't advertise much for this show in advance according to Alvarez, which didn't help I imagine.

Next week is a big show so they will definitely see a bump.

I'm a big fan of how Okada was introduced even if I'm not in love with the Bucks or Kingston. Shocking heel turn, right into a storyline that should be really hot, especially when Kenny returns, that's good business to me.

Reactions: Fro and TD Charlie

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
That's stunning to me...hopefully next week they see growth...a few solid weeks and nothing in ratings to show
AEW is a niche product marketed to a particular subset of hardcore fans... a lot of which probably do not consume regular TV.

There won't be growth and that's fine. They are decreasing at a similar rate as the TV industry.

As long as they do good against the competition on TV for their night, they'll be fine.

Reactions: Fro

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Very solid point...I know I stream collision bc I'm never home at that time frame...so I get it...just wished they pushed 1m more often, bc it's been really good tv recently

Reactions: MAHJ71

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Very solid point...I know I stream collision bc I'm never home at that time frame...so I get it...just wished they pushed 1m more often, bc it's been really good tv recently
And honestly, when they are due for their TV deal, they need to look at streaming options too. Get the kind of deal WWE did with Netflix. Split your properties.

They obviously won't get the same amount of money, but I think the model is good.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
779 K and .27 for Dynamite this week.

Not counting quarter 1 since it's always the highest due to overrun, highest quarter of the show was Okada's debut. Peaked at 865k.

Lowest was the Ospreay/Fletcher main event at 654K
Surprising to me as Ospreay/Fletcher was great.

Not going to debate star scores, but Ospreay seems to bring it every time and that makes his matches must see TV (for me).

Reactions: Fro

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Surprising to me as Ospreay/Fletcher was great.

Not going to debate star scores, but Ospreay seems to bring it every time and that makes his matches must see TV (for me).

I mean, people have been saying for months (Some for a couple years now) that drawing a rating involves more than just slapping together two good wrestlers in a "Dream match" and Tony still doesn't seem to get it.

This is a peak example.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
And honestly, when they are due for their TV deal, they need to look at streaming options too. Get the kind of deal WWE did with Netflix. Split your properties.

They obviously won't get the same amount of money, but I think the model is good.

I dunno that I'd go to streaming as an "Infant" company trying to grow their brand... But as several have noted, Tony also doesn't seem to give a shit about expanding his viewer base, and just continues to cater to the same 800K people. Steaming might not be bad when you're only targeting a die-hard audience.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
First quarter actually did do a million. It's always the highest because of Big Bang Theory but it was still higher then usual so people definitely tuned in to see her debut.

Rest of the show bled viewers with the main event bottoming out under 700k

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
As soon as I saw they put that as the main event you knew the number was going to crater lol show was really good regardless but nobody gives a f*** about AEW's womens division. That isn't changing in one night.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
As soon as I saw they put that as the main event you knew the number was going to crater lol show was really good regardless but nobody gives a f*** about AEW's womens division. That isn't changing in one night.
It’s too bad, cuz the main event was good! Totally acceptable for a final segment on a big night IMO

Reactions: MAHJ71 and Fro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad