OT: The quality of NHL hockey and its rapid deterioration

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Let's face it... this is a low point for the sport. Honestly, we're about to have our lowest scoring season in the league in 40 years (!!!).

Sweet Jebus, who cares? Why are so many people crying about this?

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
The shootout is the gimmicky part of the game today that deteriorates and degrades it from its pure form.

When you turn a team game into an individual skills competition simply to attract more hockey fans in non traditional hockey markets it weaken the sport.

However I think the NHL understands this and they are coming up with more ways to decide games without it and currently discussing 3-3 after 4-4 in OT.

imo 3 on 3 is just as much of a gimmick as a shootout is... imo 4 on 4 is a gimmick also that's not how the games played. MLB games can go 19-20 innings, NBA games can go 3-4 overtimes, NFL has a full quarter and they get a tie maybe once every 3 years? why can't NHL games go to a regular overtime like the playoffs, I remember CBC says everytime they go into OT that 70% of games that go to OT in the playoffs end in the first 5 minutes, yet it's probably close to 30% in the regular season why? I personally don't see a reason not to go to that, turn the clock off and play until someone scores, only using the clock for penalties. if you play back 2 back to bad deal with it, take more chances to end the game. 2 points for a win 0 for a lose. there's a roster of 23 so you can sit guys if you need to to give some guys rest. it might make those guys who are in spots 21 22 23 more important. sort of like soccer when they play 2 games in a week span they oftern need to use spares because they'll tire out there players. it would also force teams to use there bench a little more.

if they want to stay with the 4 on 4 personally I would like to see them mandate that only 1 Dmen can be on the ice at a time. thus having more skill on the ice with 3 forwards. the other thing you could do is eliminate the timeouts after an icing, if you ice the puck you can't call a timeout. to many teams burn there timeout after an icing, and then when they get to the last minute they don't have one to set up a play to tie the game.

Jiggernaut

Mar 20, 2006
Stittsville, ON
People need to realize that parity in the league right now is the best it's ever been. The talent margin between the teams is so close and by all means its anyone's game. I don't believe for a second the NHL is "deteriorating" by any stretch of the imagination. We are just living in an era where there are many high-quality players.

The issue in my opinion is that their are more teams that are really good than terribly bad. The NHL knows the extent of high quality players and this is the corner-stone to an expansionary period. We need to disperse the talent level amongst teams, and look to move into 32-34 team format.

The parity in the league now is really just an illusion fuelled by the current NHL 3 point game format. Not all NHL games are created equal - which is a complete farce for a professional sports league.

Teams don't play to win any more - especially about 2/3rds of the league. Play not to lose, and with all these loser points (3 point games) it can allow teams to stick around in the playoff picture longer than ever before.

Make a regulation win worth 3 points (since the NHL already awards 3 points for OT/SO games), and then we'll see how much parity exists in the NHL. We'd see 1/2 the teams out of playoff contention before the X-Mas break. But the NHL doesn't want that as a league that is heavily reliant on gate revenue - they want their fans to believe their team has a chance at the playoffs. So this format will stick around unfortunately, and the media and league will continue to pump the illusion of "parity".

Regular season NHL games aren't even worth watching most nights any more - just a bunch of mediocre teams playing their system to try and not lose the game instead of win it - just get OT so we can go for that extra point!

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Let's face it... this is a low point for the sport. Honestly, we're about to have our lowest scoring season in the league in 40 years (!!!)

would like to point out that this isn't really a low point in the sport it's probably the highest point considering league revenue's are the highest they've ever been.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
In the last 5 years I have been to about 30 CHL games and about 2 NHL games (both in Buffalo).

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
basically this, but if you want to increase the scoring, decrease the goalie padding to early 90 levels and also expand the rink size to olympic levels.

Is there actually any basis for the idea that larger rink sizes would increase goal totals? As someone who sees plenty of both, I feel like the larger rink sizes encourage steering play to the outside, and also gives more time which puts less emphasis on skill and results in less mistakes.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Is there actually any basis for the idea that larger rink sizes would increase goal totals? As someone who sees plenty of both, I feel like the larger rink sizes encourage steering play to the outside, and also gives more time which puts less emphasis on skill and results in less mistakes.

I dont know how anybody could have watched Canada in Sochi and thought "this is great, exciting hockey!"

Those games were TERRIBLE! The big ice just allowed lesser teams to "park the bus" as they say in soccer. Those games were soccer on ice...and I love soccer, but not in my hockey.

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
Reduce goalie equipment again. Goalies don't make 'saves' these days, they position themselves to let their equipment stop the puck.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I have blue wigs in my closet from playoff days.

I find myself watching more of the Food Network or PVR'd episodes of Bar Rescue on game days.

I don't watch the Leafs and I really don't watch much of the playoffs either.

Defending is about 5 guys collapsing on the crease. Goals scored are usually ones the goalie doesn't see and the shooter has no idea where it went. Usually it's a tip in against a goalie that is 6 foot tall and 6 foot wide.

Face washes have now come to represent grit.

The best part of the game is the hype.

John Taffer kicks ass.

Wendigo

Nov 27, 2013
While changing net dimensions or reducing equipment size may increase the number of goals which I wouldn't argue against, it doesn't change what happens on the rest of the ice. How about adopting a new league format: shortening the season, increasing division games to heighten rivalry tensions, and please get rid of the instigator rule--not because I like gooning, but I do like policing.

The lockout shortened season produced some excellent hockey league wide I thought though I might be biased as it was the best Leaf hockey I'd seen in a good while. A 50-60 game season would also lead to more intensity in play. Get rid of the driftwood teams like Arizona; they just result in moribund hockey markets who siphon high draft picks from key hockey markets.

Oh...and get rid of Bettman.

I know the revenues from the games will never allow a shortened season to happen, but then if you're trying to expand the fanbase, then it's a matter of economies of scale: fewer games perhaps, but a wider sport market share on account of more exciting games and games with more significance.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Get rid of revenue sharing.Helping owners that are too cheap to spend money on their team only encourages mediocrity.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
17006.jpg

VZT1986.jpg

Shin pads aren't the only issue as you can see. The chest plate has gotten ridiculous. It's not a safety issue.

Let's take a look at football for example. You have concussion issues much the same as in the NHL so rules were enforced to reduce leading with the helmet. A goalie can use any part of their body to block a shot but that is part of the problem.

Initially, the leg pads and glove/pad on the arms was the primary way of making saves. Goalie masks came in and were made to optimize protection. I think a goaltender being less able to use their chest area to make saves without injury would be the way to go. Note that I'm not saying open them up for serious harm but blocking with the chest should be a last resort instead of a mainstay strategy.

Completelybroke

Mar 22, 2015
The ice is to small, players are to big, players wingspans are larger than ever. All we see every night is these 6'1-6'+ guys cycle literally on the boards for 20 minutes every night. Then you have the goalies that are now basically averaging 6'2-6'3 with pad standards that could be considered laughable, when these guys basically body block 3/5 of the net. You know your going to love watching the game.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
The parity in the league now is really just an illusion fuelled by the current NHL 3 point game format. Not all NHL games are created equal - which is a complete farce for a professional sports league.

Teams don't play to win any more - especially about 2/3rds of the league. Play not to lose, and with all these loser points (3 point games) it can allow teams to stick around in the playoff picture longer than ever before.

Make a regulation win worth 3 points (since the NHL already awards 3 points for OT/SO games), and then we'll see how much parity exists in the NHL. We'd see 1/2 the teams out of playoff contention before the X-Mas break. But the NHL doesn't want that as a league that is heavily reliant on gate revenue - they want their fans to believe their team has a chance at the playoffs. So this format will stick around unfortunately, and the media and league will continue to pump the illusion of "parity".

Regular season NHL games aren't even worth watching most nights any more - just a bunch of mediocre teams playing their system to try and not lose the game instead of win it - just get OT so we can go for that extra point!

At least with ties it forced teams that needed the extra point to go for it. By both having a loser point and a tiebreak to force out a winner, the regular season has become laughable.

However there is indeed more parity now than 15 years ago. I'd say the breakdown was as so:

1990s
1-3 Top Tier Teams
3-5 Contending Teams
5-10 Mediocre Clubs

2010s
1-5 Top Tier Teams
5-10 Contending Teams
5-15 Mediocre Clubs

It's absolutely true that the number of truly hapless teams is down to a handful year in and year out. The league now is flooded with mediocre teams because the best teams can't hold onto their best players, which I'll always hate.

Dynasties are great for sport. The NHL has failed to have one since the 97-02 Wings. Justin Williams is the only guy in the league with more than 2 rings right now.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I've got 5 decades of watching and no era was as entertaining as the 80's. Leafs were brutal but games were still entertaining. Pretty much wide open, brutal hitting, fights....you name it. The league has gotten very boring. Actually sad that we don't get to see skill on full display.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Logical flaw in assuming that less scoring = a lower quality NHL and rapid deterioration.

I could care less about goal totals. I do care about game flow and offensive nature. I'm sorry but watching guys cycle pucks in the corners for 60 minutes is the epitome of boring.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The quality of hockey is at an all-time high.

The question is whether or not it's more or less entertaining that way.(its less)

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I firmly believe the long-term contracts teams are forced to give out (because of the salary cap) have a serious detrimental effect on the quality of hockey.

I mean, if you were guaranteed 8 million dollars a year for the next 8 years, why WOULDN'T you take nights off?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
One more thing to note is that PP opportunities per game this year are the lowest they've been in 52 years. Yup, that's how bad reffing has gotten. You gotta be murdered before you draw a call nowadays.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I've got 5 decades of watching and no era was as entertaining as the 80's. Leafs were brutal but games were still entertaining. Pretty much wide open, brutal hitting, fights....you name it. The league has gotten very boring. Actually sad that we don't get to see skill on full display.

Wide open free wheeling hockey. Not over coached to death. If anyone gets a chance to catch some classic games from that era the hockey is a blast to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad