Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirwilliam

Assume it's sarcasm
Nov 29, 2006
Victoria
Honestly he's just being circumspect, hasn't promised a thing.

I want Gaudette to sign here, but I guarantee he and his agent are looking at guys like Butcher and Kerfoot. He knows he'd get good offers as a FA.

It comes down to how much he values a shot at the NHL in 2018, and whether he sees a good opportunity for ice time here. (He should.)

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Honestly he's just being circumspect, hasn't promised a thing.

I want Gaudette to sign here, but I guarantee he and his agent are looking at guys like Butcher and Kerfoot. He knows he'd get good offers as a FA.

It comes down to how much he values a shot at the NHL in 2018, and whether he sees a good opportunity for ice time here. (He should.)

Please define good offers? He will sign an ELC like everyone else. IIRC, he has one more year before he is a limited free agent. So it all depends if he wants to sign a year early with the canucks. Sure, teams can make a verbal commitment to NHL ice time like they did with kerfoot, to entice a player. But few teams are going to do that ...

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
No reason to think he will sign elsewhere until we have a reason to. NCAA drafted players are still much more likely to sign with their drafted team then not (especially ones that track well).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Please define good offers? He will sign an ELC like everyone else. IIRC, he has one more year before he is a limited free agent. So it all depends if he wants to sign a year early with the canucks. Sure, teams can make a verbal commitment to NHL ice time like they did with kerfoot, to entice a player. But few teams are going to do that ...

good offers = better situation to succeed than the canucks possibly combined with promises about deployment. it also means childhood favourite team and/or close proximity to home and friends in a city he likes.

however, none of that happens until after he has played another year and waited until august. he has to weigh possible stagnation, injury risk, lost career earnings and the fact that being that guy who snubs the canucks and goes ufa puts him under a spotlight. remember butcher had a good reason to snub the avs.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks are playing out a string in March, could easily see Gaudette signed and added to the NHL lineup much like Boeser and Molino last year.....He would get to burn off the first year of their ELC and arrive at free agency sooner. And if Pettersson and Dahlen's SHL teams are eliminated early, I'd get them signed and over here for the last 10-games or so.....worked well for Boeser last year....Canucks need to see what they have in what is sure to be the start of the "post-Sedin" era in VanCity.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If the Canucks are playing out a string in March, could easily see Gaudette signed and added to the NHL lineup much like Boeser and Molino last year.....He would get to burn off the first year of their ELC and arrive at free agency sooner. And if Pettersson and Dahlen's SHL teams are eliminated early, I'd get them signed and over here for the last 10-games or so.....worked well for Boeser last year....Canucks need to see what they have in what is sure to be the start of the "post-Sedin" era in VanCity.
Yeah thatd be sweet esp if we start trading the crap off the roster. Imagine closing the season with

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Dahlen Gaudette Petterson
Sedin Sedin Crappsson
Goldmember Sutter Virtanen

Reactions: krutovsdonut

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Yeah thatd be sweet esp if we start trading the crap off the roster. Imagine closing the season with

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Sedin Sedin Crappsson

This line up would be so intriguing to watch, I would be completely on board with this semi realistic line up, I wish we had a GM that would find a home for Sutter as well, Sedins retire and Erickson gets bought out and we could be actually rebuilding.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
This line up would be so intriguing to watch, I would be completely on board with this semi realistic line up, I wish we had a GM that would find a home for Sutter as well, Sedins retire and Erickson gets bought out and we could be actually rebuilding.

Hope the Sedins return .... on a reasonable contract, make a great 3rd line and good second PP line.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

Canucks can sign him this year and immediately burn a year off his ELC, followed by burning the 2nd year next year.

By waiting for free agency he sets moves back his non-ELC earning years by 2 years, which can be a tremendous amount of time and money in a sport where a single injury can end a career.

If the Canucks are willing to offer him a contract at the end of the NCAA season and play him a few games like they did with Boeser last year, I can't reasonably see him turning it down.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Canucks can sign him this year and immediately burn a year off his ELC, followed by burning the 2nd year next year.

By waiting for free agency he sets moves back his non-ELC earning years by 2 years, which can be a tremendous amount of time and money in a sport where a single injury can end a career.

If the Canucks are willing to offer him a contract at the end of the NCAA season and play him a few games like they did with Boeser last year, I can't reasonably see him turning it down.

Correct.

This is precisely what will happen.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Sedin Sedin Crappsson

That lineup would look pretty sweet -- for about 10 minutes; after that, we'd be so battered and pushed around we'd end up needing to call up Megna and Boucher to man the stretchers. I'm in no hurry to see these kids yet -- Petterson needs to seriously add 10-15 more pounds before we touch him, and Dahlen is likely a few milk shakes short of being ready too.
Might as well let them come to camp with Dahlin and then we can watch the Swedish magic flow!

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Sedin Sedin Crappsson

Throw in Gadjovich for toughness. Think he is more NHL ready than a lot of those skinny guys. If we can just Tryamkin back for 2019-2020, and still have goodbrandson, There should be a limit to the liberties taken with Gaudette and pettersson ...

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

That's not entirely true because of the different ELC lengths depending on signing age. If he signs in 2018 he needs a 3 year ELC, but if he signs in 2019 he'll only need a 2 year one. Basically here are his options:

Sign with the Canucks in 2018 and burn a year: RFA in 2020

Sign with the Canucks in 2018 and don't burn a year: RFA in 2021

Sign with the Canucks in 2019 and burn a year: RFA in 2020

Wait until graduation: RFA in 2021

Financially the 1st option is the best and most likely, but it is only a year difference between signing with the Canucks and signing with whatever team he wants. And if for some reason (injury or team in the Frozen Four) the Canucks can't get him into a game to burn a year, then it actually doesn't make any sense to sign after the season is over unless he just wants to turn pro as soon as possible.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
If he plays with Canucks this year that is what between 100,000 and 200,000 for him. He is a month older than Virtanen, think he would be thinking of getting paid. He will have no better chance to play in the league. I cannot imagine the stress of playing for free when there is millions sitting on the table. An bad injury and just stagnation could cost him a lot. He will sign.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
On another note wonder how Vessey thinks about his decision now? Lives in New York if that was his goal great but Nashville is turning into great place to play.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Throw in Gadjovich for toughness. Think he is more NHL ready than a lot of those skinny guys. If we can just Tryamkin back for 2019-2020, and still have goodbrandson, There should be a limit to the liberties taken with Gaudette and pettersson ...
No thanks to Gud and remember Gaudette has some sandpaper to him he can rough it up. But yeah if Gad is close to ready for next year too thats a HUGE plus

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hope the Sedins return .... on a reasonable contract, make a great 3rd line and good second PP line.
Unless the Canucks go on some kind of run and by some miracle make the playoffs, this is probably it for Henrik and Daniel. Just can't see them wanting to return for a couple of million each and with a much reduced role on a team that'll still be in the throes of a tough rebuild. Canuck centers next season will be Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette and Sutter, with guys like Granlund, Gaunce and Gagner in reserve if any of them falter. Canucks will just have to live with their growing pains....but then that's what a 'rebuild' is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad