Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Brutal night for prospects just BRUTAL bad nights for Lind Gad Juol Locky Etc

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yes, and Virtanen and Boeser scored up top.....They're the future core anyway.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Sat Dec 9

Europe

Assat 2 TPS 7
Palmu 2 goals (8th, 9th), 1 assist
Juolevi 1 assist

Timra 3 Bjorkloven 2
Dahlen 0 points, +1

Vaxjo 3 Orebro 1
Pettersson 0 points, -1

AHL

Utica 2 Providence 3 (OT)
Demko 32 saves on 35 shots

Cam Darcy (1) ASST: Guillaume Brisebois (2), Zack MacEwen (8) (PP)
Michael Carcone (2) ASST: None

ECHL

Orlando 1 Kalamazoo 2 (OT)
Irving 0 points, even

NCAA

Northeastern 5 Boston College 2
Gaudette 1 goal (11th), 2 assists, even

OHL

Oshawa 0 Barrie 5
Brassard 0 points, -4

Sudbury 2 Kingston 3
Candella 1 assist, even

Flint 4 Owen Sound 5
Gadjovich 1 goal (15th), +1

WHL

Kelowna 4 Brandon 7
Lind 1 goal (13th), 1 assist, -2

S_C

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What's the deal with Palmu? Debrincat type potential?
Would have loved to see have seen him in Utica this year.....you'd get a far better assessment on whether he has 'Debrincat potential'...maybe the Canucks sign him after his season is over in Europe and bring both Palmu, Dahlen and maybe even Juolevi to the AHL.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Would have loved to see have seen him in Utica this year.....you'd get a far better assessment on whether he has 'Debrincat potential'...maybe the Canucks sign him after his season is over in Europe and bring both Palmu, Dahlen and maybe even Juolevi to the AHL.
Hopefully Lockwood in Utica next year too

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Sun Dec 10

AHL

Utica 3 Providence 4 (OT)
Bachman 27 saves on 31 shots

Alexis D'Aoust (6) ASST: Guillaume Brisebois (3), Brendan Woods (1)
Reid Boucher (12) ASST: Jayson Megna (8)
Reid Boucher (13) ASST: Patrick Wiercioch (4), Cam Darcy (10) (PP)

ECHL

Wichita 2 Kalamazoo 3
Irving 1 assist, +2

OHL

Barrie 2 North Bay 5
McKenzie 0 points, even

Sudbury 4 Ottawa 3 (SO)
Candella 2 assists, even

Windsor 3 Sault Ste. Marie 6
DiPietro did not play (headed to WJC selection camp Dec 12-15)

Saginaw 3 Oshawa 1
Brassard 0 points, -2

WHL

Moose Jaw 6 Calgary 3
Stukel 0 points, -3

S_C

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
I think unless we're righting off any chance of getting a Russian talent/prospect to take Vancouver seriously, there needs to be a change in management. The meme leaking from the Canucks is similar to how they handled the original Cody Hodgson mess... Burmistov may not be a player, may be getting the ice time he deserves; he may never accept his efforts being questioned (not suggesting this is true) but coupled with the general vibe that came out of the whole Tryamkin situation, agents and players likely will put Vancouver behind every NHL team and most KHL teams as well when it comes to a place they want to come to.
We know Gillis eschewed avoiding Russians in the draft; that only lets franchises like St. Louis and Tampa fill their boots with mid- to late-first round picks of Russian talents.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Cquant

May 14, 2015
I think unless we're righting off any chance of getting a Russian talent/prospect to take Vancouver seriously, there needs to be a change in management. The meme leaking from the Canucks is similar to how they handled the original Cody Hodgson mess... Burmistov may not be a player, may be getting the ice time he deserves; he may never accept his efforts being questioned (not suggesting this is true) but coupled with the general vibe that came out of the whole Tryamkin situation, agents and players likely will put Vancouver behind every NHL team and most KHL teams as well when it comes to a place they want to come to.
We know Gillis eschewed avoiding Russians in the draft; that only lets franchises like St. Louis and Tampa fill their boots with mid- to late-first round picks of Russian talents.

The only thing I see is that Willie had a problem with Russians, or communicating properly with Tryamkin and Goldobin.
I don't see any bias coming from Linden or Benning. Recent quotes from Tryamkin is that he is considering a return at the end of his contract. Goldobin is getting ice time and an opportunity on the first line. Burmistrov hasn't proved he is a better option than people in the line up. If their names were Olofsson, Brundin or Immonen it wouldn't change much. I mean this regime took a flyer on Zhukenov and he didn't make it. They also took a flyer on Jasek, Stukel, Niell and Olsen and they haven't made it (yet).

If anything, Benning should invest in another scout in Russia and start selecting a couple more Russian guys, because it is a little overdue and I suspect our current Russian scout either isn't good at his job or isn't vocal enough during meetings. But many of the prospects have a chance at an interview to prove they're worth drafting and I'm sure the dream of playing in the NHL can offset any thoughts against the Canucks. Plus we're hardly the only team with this issue, in fact the issue is probably that not many Russians make it to the NHL in the first place, many of them preferring to stay in Russia.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Skipping Russians made sense when they were all bolting to the KHL to be playthings for oil company billionares. Credit to the teams that took the risk that some would stay or that the Russian economy would collapse. If teams are skipping them then the increased quality offsets some of the losses when some bolt. Even today there are only 34 russian players in the NHL, just 34.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If Gaudette needed a third year of NCAA, I suspect Lockwood will as well.

Gaudette had nothing left to prove in the NCAA, so the third year is probably because: 1) He wanted to be a year closer to completing his degree (final year can be done in summer school terms in the offseason) 2) Him and his agent wanted to increase leverage by being a single season away from becoming a highly sought after college FA

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
Gaudette had nothing left to prove in the NCAA, so the third year is probably because: 1) He wanted to be a year closer to completing his degree (final year can be done in summer school terms in the offseason) 2) Him and his agent wanted to increase leverage by being a single season away from becoming a highly sought after college FA

See my note above.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
If Gaudette needed a third year of NCAA, I suspect Lockwood will as well.

It's not need, it's choice based on what the NHL team can offer them for playing time. If a guy like Boeser is being given every shot at the NHL after 1 season and the NHL promise is even higher after he goes back, he comes out. If Gaudette dosen't get satisfaction as to his NHL chances after this, his 3rd season, he can simply go back for his 4th and then take the Vesey, Butcher root. Both ditched the team that drafted them, went UFA, and are both playing in the NHL without ever spending a day in the AHL.

Gaudette holds the cards right now. Is he good enough to make that kind of demand? Benning has to make that decision if that's the deal the kid's agent throws out there.

Edit: I sense from your latter post that I got to after this post, that you are on to this, but I'll leave it up anyways.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It may come as a shock to some posters, but the reason many hockey players go the NCAA route is to get an education....and in any four-year university program, the third year is pretty critical. That's the point at which students actually choose their majors, and identify their degree. They can always go back in summers to get the fourth year and graduate, but not without a major. So in Gaudette's case 'proving himself on the hockey rink" probably didn't have much to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad