Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Sat Dec 2

Europe

Brynas 2 Vaxjo 1
Pettersson 0 points, even

AHL

Utica 2 Bridgeport 1 (SO)
Demko 32 saves on 33 shots (allowed 1 goal on 5 attempts in SO)

Joseph LaBate (4) ASST: Jayson Megna (6), Cam Darcy (8)

Jayson Megna No Goal
Reid Boucher Goal
Michael Chaput No Goal
Carter Bancks No Goal
Michael Carcone Goal

ECHL

Kalamazoo 3 Wichita 7
Irving 0 points, even

NCAA

Northeastern 3 Merrimack 1
Gaudette 2 goals (9th, 10th), +1

Michigan 7 NTDP 3
Lockwood 1 goal

OHL

North Bay 2 London 3 (OT)
McKenzie 1 goal (8th), even

Oshawa 0 Windsor 3
Brassard 0 points, -1
DiPietro 38 saves on 38 shots (selected 1st star)

Guelph 6 Owen Sound 5 (SO)
Gadjovich 2 goals (13th, 14th), 1 assist, +1 (selected 2nd star)

WHL

Calgary 4 Red Deer 3 (SO)
Stukel 1 assist, +2 (scored on his SO attempt)

Kootenay 2 Kelowna 5
Lind 1 goal (12th), 1 assist, +1

S_C

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Given how poor the Canucks have been over the last few years, how many players do we need to have in the WJCs for it to be considered a success? Three? Five? More?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Given how poor the Canucks have been over the last few years, how many players do we need to have in the WJCs for it to be considered a success? Three? Five? More?
It's immaterial to me. Realistically only three or four at the max of our prospects of that age will be key contributors in the NHL And that's probably well above the norm. Any more than that is just fun to watch but doesn't really change much. There may even be a late bloomer who doesn't make the WJrs.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Depends on the position and whether your prospects are 'core players' and potential tournament all-stars on their WJC team....so counting them up, including the 'possibles'......Pettersson, DiPietro and Juolevi are 'locks'...."Possibles" include Lind, Gadjovich and Lockwood....I'd be doing handsprings if all six made it.....Unprecedented as far as the Canucks are concerned.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Okay I'll take the bait and play like Debbie downer.

1. MacEwen doesn't look anything lije Jake Virtanen. If anything, he is more like a Grenier that hits but with less puck finesse. Jake was faster and had a better shot.

2. A playmaking center will have to come after he plays center. Right now he is basically a right wing with Boucher on his opposite side and Chaput in the middle. With the centers in the pipeline he is most likely being prepped as a power forward.

3. Don't become mesmerized by his points. Look at who his linemates are. He hasn't been setting these two up with any kind of tantalizing net play making. He is making a simple pass to a wide open line mate 150 feet or so from the opposing net or a short pass on the perimemter before going back in front of the net on the PP. It's the farthest thing from playmaking. Basically he gets the puck to one of them, to get the rush going up the ice and Boucher is a shooting machine (and he hits the net from every position including the corners). You almost have to twist both his arms and promise him dinner to get a pass. Chaput is a set up man that can score and most of the time the guy he's setting up is Bouch.

4. However, if Zack could ever get a shot off, he has been set up with the chances. He is also around the net on the PP, but just can't seem to find a way to make contact with loose pucks that are right there. LaBate incidentally has the exact same problem in close around the net. Zack is supposed to have better hands and I do see a decided skill difference between him and Joe.

5. His normal play when bringing the puck through the neutral zone himself is to try and deke out the guys in his way and fails 90% of the time. The couple times he's sort of succeeded he got off shots from the perimeter that were stopped but were good shots that if he could ever get in close, might find the net. Very reminiscent of Jake.

He did make an excellent pass to Chaput for a goal on Friday after winning a puck battle on the end boards and centering it to Michael coming off the bottom of the circle. He counterbalanced that positive with turning the puck over at the attacking blue line when he put a move on the defender on the rush, but then did some kind of inexplicable spinorama and unfortunately left the puck sitting dead still back behind him while he was making this move. The defender stepped around him and headmanned the puck to his backchecking forwards that trapped the Zack and his linemates up ice while Bridgeport sped back up ice in a 3 on 2 that ended up behind Demko.

Zack is very raw and seems to try to make moves that his body is too big to accommodate. I know that may sound weird but that's what it reminds me of like a large puppy who hasn't become coordinated to his rapid growth. Thus, a lot of awkward actions or movement from his body that isn't matching what his mind wants to do. That probably doesn't make sense to a lot of you, but suffice to say he is not on the express pathway to the NHL. This kid has lots of work to do before he'll be considered a top prospect. The most I can say is he the best possibility from the not so impressive crop of Vancouver prospects that are playing with their AHL affiliate. The likes of Gaudette, Lind, Pettersson, and Dahlen seem to be way farther ahead on the NHL path than any Comet outside of Demko and they have not even turned pro. Lind, Dahlen, Lockwood (if he comes out) and Gadjovich should join him next season and then we'll see how a year behind him helps him establish himself as the kingpin among the newcomers. If they all go by him, he is a Grenier, Jensen, Archibald. If not, he still has a shot.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Tryamkin has been named khl dman of the month for second month consecutively. Still only 23 he would be my focus to bring back. We need some size and aggressiveness on defense. Especially one that skates like he does. Trade Guddy and maybe Edler give him the extra ice time. He has much more potential than Hutton Stecher or Pouliot.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Okay I'll take the bait and play like Debbie downer.

1. MacEwen doesn't look anything lije Jake Virtanen. If anything, he is more like a Grenier that hits but with less puck finesse. Jake was faster and had a better shot.

2. A playmaking center will have to come after he plays center. Right now he is basically a right wing with Boucher on his opposite side and Chaput in the middle. With the centers in the pipeline he is most likely being prepped as a power forward.

3. Don't become mesmerized by his points. Look at who his linemates are. He hasn't been setting these two up with any kind of tantalizing net play making. He is making a simple pass to a wide open line mate 150 feet or so from the opposing net or a short pass on the perimemter before going back in front of the net on the PP. It's the farthest thing from playmaking. Basically he gets the puck to one of them, to get the rush going up the ice and Boucher is a shooting machine (and he hits the net from every position including the corners). You almost have to twist both his arms and promise him dinner to get a pass. Chaput is a set up man that can score and most of the time the guy he's setting up is Bouch.

4. However, if Zack could ever get a shot off, he has been set up with the chances. He is also around the net on the PP, but just can't seem to find a way to make contact with loose pucks that are right there. LaBate incidentally has the exact same problem in close around the net. Zack is supposed to have better hands and I do see a decided skill difference between him and Joe.

5. His normal play when bringing the puck through the neutral zone himself is to try and deke out the guys in his way and fails 90% of the time. The couple times he's sort of succeeded he got off shots from the perimeter that were stopped but were good shots that if he could ever get in close, might find the net. Very reminiscent of Jake.

He did make an excellent pass to Chaput for a goal on Friday after winning a puck battle on the end boards and centering it to Michael coming off the bottom of the circle. He counterbalanced that positive with turning the puck over at the attacking blue line when he put a move on the defender on the rush, but then did some kind of inexplicable spinorama and unfortunately left the puck sitting dead still back behind him while he was making this move. The defender stepped around him and headmanned the puck to his backchecking forwards that trapped the Zack and his linemates up ice while Bridgeport sped back up ice in a 3 on 2 that ended up behind Demko.

Zack is very raw and seems to try to make moves that his body is too big to accommodate. I know that may sound weird but that's what it reminds me of like a large puppy who hasn't become coordinated to his rapid growth. Thus, a lot of awkward actions or movement from his body that isn't matching what his mind wants to do. That probably doesn't make sense to a lot of you, but suffice to say he is not on the express pathway to the NHL. This kid has lots of work to do before he'll be considered a top prospect. The most I can say is he the best possibility from the not so impressive crop of Vancouver prospects that are playing with their AHL affiliate. The likes of Gaudette, Lind, Pettersson, and Dahlen seem to be way farther ahead on the NHL path than any Comet outside of Demko and they have not even turned pro. Lind, Dahlen, Lockwood (if he comes out) and Gadjovich should join him next season and then we'll see how a year behind him helps him establish himself as the kingpin among the newcomers. If they all go by him, he is a Grenier, Jensen, Archibald. If not, he still has a shot.

No real surprise to me what you are saying. Zack was an undrafted free agent out of junior which is most always a long shot. That said i thought in this case it was a worthwhile signing and gamble. No one should have expected him to be on a fast track to the NHL. The AHL is a tough league and he is a pretty raw player that will take some time. I do think he offers more upside than most of the B prospects though and hope to see a gradual improvement as he adjusts to the AHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
MacEwen is producing right off the bat in the AHL as a 6'4 player with outstanding skating ability. Absolutely he's someone who is prone to frustrating turnovers and overhandling the puck, but there's a lot to be excited about with this player.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
MacEwen is producing right off the bat in the AHL as a 6'4 player with outstanding skating ability. Absolutely he's someone who is prone to frustrating turnovers and overhandling the puck, but there's a lot to be excited about with this player.

I still see him topping out as a Grenier who hits. A good AHL player who just can't make the transition to the big time. That's not bad, you know?

I'd be more than happy to be wrong. I have posted multiple times in various threads that I hope to see every guy who wears a Comets jersey make it in the NHL. Fortunately, I also recognize reality and know that's not going to happen for more than a few. Glad I realize that because if I didn't, I'd be setting myself up for a case of deep depression. That wouldn't be a pleasant way to spend the rest of my life. LOL

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I still see him topping out as a Grenier who hits. A good AHL player who just can't make the transition to the big time. That's not bad, you know?

I'd be more than happy to be wrong. I have posted multiple times in various threads that I hope to see every guy who wears a Comets jersey make it in the NHL. Fortunately, I also recognize reality and know that's not going to happen for more than a few. Glad I realize that because if I didn't, I'd be setting myself up for a case of deep depression. That wouldn't be a pleasant way to spend the rest of my life. LOL

Isn't that true for pretty much every AHL team? After all there's almost an equal number of AHL/NHL teams now but NHL careers generally are pretty long meaning a lot of AHLers likely won't get an opportunity. Add to that a lot of players skip the AHL (like pretty much everyone in the rookie of the year discussion this year). I think Kempe is the scoring leader who spent time in the AHL and he sits @ 11th (16 points in 27 games) in rookie scoring. Conner if you count him has 1 more point (T 9th) and is slightly higher (since he actually split last year between AHL/NHL). Don't think anyone else in the top 10 spent any time in the AHL (unless its the odd game).

Basically proof that although the AHL could be a developmental route for a player, its becoming less and less important because CHL, NCAA, and other leagues are getting better and in some cases might actually better than the AHL for development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad