The Pre-Season Thread (Young Stars Tournament and Training Camp)

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
He means people making claims without any factual substance for the sake of countering the overarching negative outlook of the team.

I would disagree though and say that has always existed on these boards. There have always been fans that would cheer on the team no matter what they do. The big difference is that they blend into the overall tone when things are good, but stand out like a sore thumb when things are as bad as they are currently.

Ok. I just found it weird that he started with " faith based reasoning" and ends with "religion has infiltrated" phrases and in the middle of his post gets a little dig in at people that "need' to be positive.

I guess I'm one that looks like a sore thumb, I cheer for them and am disappointed when they don't do well but it is entertainment after all. I love underdogs and comeback stories, so I keep watching.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
He means people making claims without any factual substance for the sake of countering the overarching negative outlook of the team.

I would disagree though and say that has always existed on these boards. There have always been fans that would cheer on the team no matter what they do. The big difference is that they blend into the overall tone when things are good, but stand out like a sore thumb when things are as bad as they are currently.

There's probably alot of truth to that. I probably just didn't notice it or realize that that would persist even if the team did horribly. Like, consider someone like Bowie Horvat. I don't recall anyone being quite that aggressive and bull-headed about feeling that everything's going great no matter what. It's almost like he repeats it to himself like a mantra to ward off negative karma or something. Seems weird and slightly cultish to me.

I'm not saying that everyone who has an optimistic or hopeful outlook is like that, I've just noticed more.... extremists who almost seem to take pride in rebelling against logic than I ever did before. It does remind me alot of religion.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Ok, with all you just said there how is that relevant?

Just that this management track record with respect professional scouting on the blueline is hardly inspiring (eg., Sbisa, using Weber in the top four, Bartkowski, etc., - though at least the later two were only on one year deals).

Last edited:

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Just that this management track record with respect professional scouting on the blueline is hardly inspiring (eg., Sbisa, using Weber in the top four, Bartkowski, etc., - though at least the later two were only on one year deals).

OK, the reason I asked was because you started with one thing then disproved it in the end sentence.

Makes sense now.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
There's probably alot of truth to that. I probably just didn't notice it or realize that that would persist even if the team did horribly. Like, consider someone like Bowie Horvat. I don't recall anyone being quite that aggressive and bull-headed about feeling that everything's going great no matter what. It's almost like he repeats it to himself like a mantra to ward off negative karma or something. Seems weird and slightly cultish to me.

I'm not saying that everyone who has an optimistic or hopeful outlook is like that, I've just noticed more.... extremists who almost seem to take pride in rebelling against logic than I ever did before. It does remind me alot of religion.

Faith-based fandom is definitely a core part of the Canuck identity since we so rarely have had success. There were people that cheered for Mark Messier after he got Linden traded. The world's a crazy place.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Faith-based fandom is definitely a core part of the Canuck identity since we so rarely have had success. There were people that cheered for Mark Messier after he got Linden traded. The world's a crazy place.

If not for the Linden trade we have no Sedins, and would have had no Luongo, no WCE. Probably the best trade in Canucks history.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
I've just noticed more.... extremists who almost seem to take pride in rebelling against logic than I ever did before. It does remind me alot of religion.

I'm wondering how you ever came to the conclusion that there was anything rational or logical about sports fandom to begin with.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm wondering how you ever came to the conclusion that there was anything rational or logical about sports fandom to begin with.
I guess that's true. Cultish behavior kind of comes with the territory with sports fandom. Personally, I've never been a fan of that side of it and it's always kind of creeped me out when it becomes that visceral..... and HFBoards isn't something that I would normally associate with that.

Last edited:

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I guess that's true. Cultish behavior kind of comes with the territory with sports fandom. Personally, I've never been a fan of that side of it and it's always kind of creeped me out when it becomes that visceral..... and HFBoards isn't something that I would normally associate with that.

Um...there is a huge cultish behaviour going on here....usually they post in rapid succession.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Um...there is a huge cultish behaviour going on here....usually they post in rapid succession.

Cultish?

You're losing your grip on reality if you think sharing a few common opinions on a message board is "cultish".

Chill a bit.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Cultish?

You're losing your grip on reality if you think sharing a few common opinions on a message board is "cultish".

Chill a bit.

You totally didn't read the post I quoted....not surprising, but I Was simply expanding on his thoughts. I agree cultish is a strong word, but there is a group that posts after certain posters to back up their claim.

I'm perfectly sane though, but thanks for asking.

Jesus.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Sports fandom is very rational. Much of it stems from the human psyche needing to "belong" and creating narratives of triumph and accomplishment in an otherwise mundane world. Irrational behaviour is the type that can't be explained by simple reward-based motivations. And while we Canuck fans like to say we've "never won anything" the truth is we are motivated by the rarity of that winning and the sense of elation that potentially comes with it.

Sports fandom is completely rational and not even hard to understand really.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You totally didn't read the post I quoted....not surprising, but I Was simply expanding on his thoughts. I agree cultish is a strong word, but there is a group that posts after certain posters to back up their claim.

Jesus.

Then don't use it. It's offensive and we just had a 3 page thread on trying to show more respect to players when referring to them in game threads. Describing posters behaviour as "cultish" is not any better than calling Sbisa a "sack of s***."

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Then don't use it. It's offensive and we just had a 3 page thread on trying to show more respect to players when referring to them in game threads. Describing posters behaviour as "cultish" is not any better than calling Sbisa a "sack of s***."

And you stillllll didn't read or call out the other guy for using it....jesus.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Jesus.
Huh?? I wrote the post that you quoted and I reacted the same way that Canafan did, and I did not read your post as 'expanding on my thoughts'. Not sure who between the three of us are misinterpreting what.

I was describing cultish behavior in the way that certain fans are extreme in how vigilantly and defiantly they protect their positive assessment of the team regardless of logic.

What I got out of your reply was that you were using that comment as an opportunity to take a pot shot at me, suggesting that what's actually cultish is the way that I'm obsessively posting so much about it.

Canafan reacted to that because it's ridiculous to consider repeatedly continuing a discussion on the message board alone as being 'cultish'.

Either you didn't intend for that to be a pot-shot about me, or Canafan's comment did take into consideration the context of what we were talking about and made a reasonable comment based on it.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Huh?? I wrote the post that you quoted and I reacted the same way that Canafan did, and I did not read your post as 'expanding on my thoughts'. Not sure who between the three of us are misinterpreting what.

I was describing cultish behavior in the way that certain fans are extreme in how vigilantly and defiantly they protect their positive assessment of the team regardless of logic.

What I got out of your reply was that you were using that comment as an opportunity to take a pot shot at me, suggesting that what's actually cultish is the way that I'm obsessively posting so much about it.

Canafan reacted to that because it's ridiculous to consider repeatedly continuing a discussion on the message board alone constitutes being 'cultish'.

Either you didn't intend for that to be a pot-shot about me, or Canafan's comment did take into consideration the context of what we were talking about and made a reasonable comment based on it.

I was agreeing that there can be a cultish behaviour in sports and it was a sort of tongue in cheek shot at the boards in general not actually directed at you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad