The Pre-Season Thread (Young Stars Tournament and Training Camp)

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Wooooooooo! This is like the one time of the year I'm excited about hockey as a Canucks fan. :yo:

VANCOUVER CANUCKS TRAINING CAMP INFO

Young Stars Tournament – Penticton, Sept. 16-19
Training Camp – Whistler, Sept. 22-26
World Cup of Hockey - Toronto, Sept. 17 - Oct. 1st

The Young Stars Tournament and I believe the Pre-Season games will be carried on Canucks.com

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-canucks-training-camp-whistler-2016

The Vancouver Canucks will hold their annual training camp in Whistler this year, September 22 to 26.
The on-ice portion of camp kicks off on September 23 at Meadow Park Sports Centre and will be open to the public.
Whistler is one of the Canucks’ favourite locations for camp, having held it there most recently in 2014. The team does like to move camp around the province though, with Prince George hosting last year.
Training camp begins three days after the Young Stars prospect tournament in Penticton, which runs September 16-19 at the South Okanagan Events Centre.
This year’s camp will be a little unusual because a number of players will be absent due to their participation at the World Cup of Hockey that runs from September 17 to October 1.
Players that won’t be in attendance at camp include Henrik and Daniel Sedin, Loui Eriksson, Jacob Markstrom, Jannik Hansen, and Luca Sbisa.

I'm really excited about the Young Stars Tournament. That has evolved into my favorite hockey event of the year. I love watching the kids, seeing how they've developed and watching them compete for jobs. It's also going to be interesting to see an accelerated camp and a lot more opportunity for kids to get playing time with the vets being in the World Cup.

YOU READ THAT RIGHT. LUCA SBISA IS A WORLD CLASS PLAYER.

Last edited:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Man, only two weeks until both the Young Stars Tournament and the World Cup. Hockey season is almost back!

Dammit, I am working during the young stars tourney this year. Wanted to try and go see it. I am really meh on the world cup. It doesn't seem like there is the passion behind it there has been in the past.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Who are you guys most interested to watch?

For me it's always Tryamkin and it's going to be really interesting to see what Rodin looks like now. We signed the MVP of the Swedish Hockey League and yet no one is talking about him. I'd also argue his re-signing was the impetus for the team jettisoning some forward prospects so the organization is obviously high on him. 37 points in 33 games last season. If he breaks out, do we begin to praise Gillis' drafting? :sarcasm:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Wooooooooo! This is like the one time of the year I'm excited about hockey as a Canucks fan. :yo:

I'm really excited about the Young Stars Tournament. That has evolved into my favorite hockey event of the year. I love watching the kids, seeing how they've developed and watching them compete for jobs. It's also going to be interesting to see an accelerated camp and a lot more opportunity for kids to get playing time with the vets being in the World Cup.

YOU READ THAT RIGHT. LUCA SBISA IS A WORLD CLASS PLAYER.
It's a double edged sword, though-- The prospects who are really worth taking a look at and would get that opportunity anyways don't get a chance to see how they measure up against NHL caliber rosters.

Iceberg Slim

May 9, 2010
Vancouver
You're not eligible unless you've played 0 NHL games.

Is that a rule change this year?

Players with NHL experience have attended previous years (like Draisaitl at the 2015 tourney, with 37 NHL GP in 2014-15:http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=778872).

I thought the only requirement was <100 games of North American pro (AHL + NHL).

Not even sure there's an age requirement. Anybody know? Players as old as 25 (like Andy Taranto and Eriah Hayes in 2013) have been on past YoungStars rosters (so maybe it's 25 and under).

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Players with NHL experience have attended previous years (like Draisaitl at the 2015 tourney, with 37 NHL GP in 2014-15:http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=778872).

I thought the only requirement was <100 games of North American pro (AHL + NHL).

Not even sure there's an age requirement. Anybody know? Players as old as 25 (like Andy Taranto and Eriah Hayes in 2013) have been on past YoungStars rosters (so maybe it's 25 and under).

So far as i know, there aren't any official "rules" for the tournament eligibility per se. It's not a serious competitive thing anyway. More of a gentleman's understanding of what sorts of players/prospects make sense and fit reasonably within the spirit of the tournament/showcase.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

My bad. I think you're right. I just feel like I heard that somewhere.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
My bad. I think you're right. I just feel like I heard that somewhere.

An Oiler blogger screamed blue murder the year that Corrado and Jensen attended the tourney (Jensen having 1 year in the SEL and 1 in the AHL, Corrado with 5 games in the NHL in one season, and a season in the AHL the next). Maybe that's where? :D

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just wait til next year when our Youngstars lineup is Patrick/Liljegren, Juolevi, Boeser and Demko!

Patrick?...hmm...does that mean you're predicting one of the Jets, Canucks, Oilers or Jets will secure the first overall draft pick in 2017?......have to admit though, of those four teams the 'Nucks are the best bet:handclap:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Who are you guys most interested to watch?

For me it's always Tryamkin and it's going to be really interesting to see what Rodin looks like now. We signed the MVP of the Swedish Hockey League and yet no one is talking about him. I'd also argue his re-signing was the impetus for the team jettisoning some forward prospects so the organization is obviously high on him. 37 points in 33 games last season. If he breaks out, do we begin to praise Gillis' drafting? :sarcasm:

Is Rodin even going to play? I'm interested in seeing what he can do as well but the guy is 25 and has 7 professional hockey seasons under his belt. At this point it would just be embarrassing to see him at a "Young Stars" tournament, it may not be as an NHLer but the guy is still a professional veteran.

The time to look forward to Rodin is in the regular pre-season and training camp.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I can't see Rodin playing at the young stars. I'd wouldn't be surprised if Tryamkin didn't played as well - he's 22, an NHLer last year, NHL or bust this year. We might be lucky but they have enough solid Dmen to look at already.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Since I'm unsure about the status of Tryamkin and Rodin, I'll go with the trifecta of Juolevi, Stecher and Demko. Three good prospects who I'm keen to see more of.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Is Rodin even going to play? I'm interested in seeing what he can do as well but the guy is 25 and has 7 professional hockey seasons under his belt. At this point it would just be embarrassing to see him at a "Young Stars" tournament, it may not be as an NHLer but the guy is still a professional veteran.

The time to look forward to Rodin is in the regular pre-season and training camp.

I seriously doubt he'll be in the Young Stars. I'm just interested to see what he'll do in training camp.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I doubt Rodin plays even if eligible. From Benning's interview recently it sounds like he's still day-to-day from his injury last year. Just got back on the ice recently. I don't see why they would push him in to game action for a tourney like this.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rodin already has two AHL seasons and three years as a pro in the top-tier SHL in Sweden.....it would be a real 'come-down' if he ended up in the prospects tournament as the oldest guy there....any Tryamkin?....can't see how this competition would help him.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Anyone have thoughts on Cassels? He seems like a dark horse to impress this season. I've always been a booster of his. I thought he was destined to be a great third line center but I've lost touch with his progress.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Anyone have thoughts on Cassels? He seems like a dark horse to impress this season. I've always been a booster of his. I thought he was destined to be a great third line center but I've lost touch with his progress.

67GP 2G 5A 7Pts A very poor rookie season. These numbers would be a very poor season period for any player.

He came into the season after having done very little training in the off season due to fatigue and injury from his final Jr. season. Much like Shinkaruk in his first season, Green encouraged the fan base to be patient with Cole as his progression would likely be slow.

He was spotted in and out of the lineup early on but injuries and call-ups gained him more ice time. He was incredibly slow at first and could not keep up with the game. He was weak on his skates and was physically pushed off the puck easily, knocked down and around, lost most puck battles, and overall played poorly.

As the season progressed so did Cole and aided by the player shortage he played regularly as the 3rd/4th line center. His skating noticeably improved so that by season's end he was holding his own, but was not a bright spot in the line up by any stretch of the imagination. Hopefully we see vast improvement as this season begins. He is not allergic to work so that should be to his benefit. If he doesn't show significant improvement right from the get go, his likelihood of ever making it to Vancouver will be very slim. The one positive he may have going for him is that there are not many prospects here so pushing him down on the ladder isn't going to happen.

I still think he will open as the 3rd/4th line center. The ?(Archibald)/Hamilton/Bancks line is the so called 4th line, but they will get more ice time than Cassels and his line mates unless the game is going Utica's way by a sizeable measure. Hamilton's line is the checking/shutdown/energy line.

Cassels will probably be between LaBate and maybe Carcone. They will need to produce as there will be other newcomers in the mix (Hulak, Kunyk, LaPlante), Valk, any further acquisitions arriving in camp, and a possible surprise or two from Vancouer, all of whom will push for those spots. The first two lines seem pretty well filled. Just don't know what the final combinations will be.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

He has work to do to become an average AHL caliber skater.
He has a TONNE of work to do to become an NHL caliber skater.

It tough to see from a kid that apparently has it ALL other than the gift of fast twitch muscle fibres... with just average speed he would make a perfect pro 3rd line center. (hence my only hold up with Boeser.. have to see how his skating looks vs NHL caliber players)

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
Training Camp Thread

Figured we should get something started (could not find a thread for this).

According to Kuzma, James Sheppard and Tuomo Ruutu have been given PTOs for camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad