Post-Game Talk: The Powerhouse at New Jersey | 01/31/19 - 7PM - MSG (Post Game Starts ~450)

Triumvirate of Luminous Spheroid Astronomical Objects

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
You’re reading his comment incorrectly. @Machinehead is saying that, IHO, the Rangers don’t value what those three players bring to the table as much as they value ‘character’. It’ also relate to his take on the ADA/Pionk debate.
I know what he's saying. For some reason character became a euphemism for talent-less and and I disagree.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
BS take. If these top end guys lacked character and drive Zibanejad would be on a pace for 50 points, Zuke would never recover from his earlier in the season woes and Kreider would be happy again to be a respectable 20+ goal forward.
You’re reading his comment incorrectly. @Machinehead is saying that, IHO, the Rangers don’t value what those three players bring to the table as much as they value ‘character’. It’ also relate to his take on the ADA/Pionk debate.

Exactly. Not saying any of our top guys lack character.

I'm saying we only win because of the little talent we have and yet we bench our talent to play guys who look like they're trying harder because they're always defending.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It's not necessarily a euphemism for talentless, but we are talking about McQuaid and Pionk, so...

You know it perfectly well that this year is not about results. Whether we play some guys to build their values before TDL, or sit others in expectations that it will teach them not to take their roster spot for granted - these are good reasons for these decisions.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You know it perfectly well that this year is not about results. Whether we play some guys to build their values before TDL, or sit others in expectations that it will teach them not to take their roster spot for granted - these are good reasons for these decisions.
Why is it suddenly about "tanking" when Character > Skill has been this team's culture for decades?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Why is it suddenly about "tanking" when Character > Skill has been this team's culture for decades?

Too much simplification. Buch is a perfect example to use as a reference here. This level of intensity in his play has been missing not because of something that Quinn did. It's all on Buch, and to be honest surprising to me that he needed another go around with more time in the stands, since he had mentioned how close he and Namestnikov got and the drama around how Names returned from a doghouse into good graces has all been unfolding in front of him.

As a Buchnevich fan I don't want him to turn into Spooner.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Too much simplification. Buch is a perfect example to use as a reference here. This level of intensity in his play has been missing not because of something that Quinn did. It's all on Buch, and to be honest surprising to me that he needed another go around with more time in the stands, since he had mentioned how close he and Namestnikov got and the drama around how Names returned from a doghouse into good graces has all been unfolding in front of him.

As a Buchnevich fan I don't want him to turn into Spooner.
How is it a simplification? That's pretty much what this franchise is built on.

They've always been a team that tries to be tough and has very little offensive talent.

This has been true since the 80's.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

They've always been a team that tries to be tough and has very little offensive talent.

It’s simplification because you designated some players as skilled and others - with character.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It’s simplification because you designated some players as skilled and others - with character.
Skill and character are not mutually exclusive. I never said that.

I'm talking about players who are talentless pieces of shit that the Rangers play because they try hard.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's possible that certain guys legit need this tough love or they're going to fall far short of their potential.

Its also possible were seeing an overzealous coach ****ing with young players, causing damage to their confidence.
I would buy the first explanation if ADA hadn't been our best defenseman all year.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I would buy the first explanation if ADA hadn't been our best defenseman all year.
Our best defenseman this year is not a great honor.

I hear what you're saying about ADA but a) we don't have the full picture available to Quinn, and b) he wants ADA to be better than just our best defenseman this year.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Our best defenseman this year is not a great honor.

I hear what you're saying about ADA but a) we don't have the full picture available to Quinn, and b) he wants ADA to be better than just our best defenseman this year.

Whatever is in the full picture is irrelevant if it's causing him to bench our best defenseman.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
4 weird things (okay, maybe not weird) happened in order for the Rangers to score their late 1st period goal.

1. Yakovlev blade fell off. Led to Ranger domination of zone, leading to eventual face-off.
2. Penalty off that face-off. Power play upcoming.
3. Zibanejad wins FO cleanly.
4. Hayes at the point for shot? Good coaching, no need for defenseman with 8 seconds left. Great tip for goal.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
4 weird things (okay, maybe not weird) happened in order for the Rangers to score their late 1st period goal.

1. Yakovlev blade fell off. Led to Ranger domination of zone, leading to eventual face-off.
2. Penalty off that face-off. Power play upcoming.
3. Zibanejad wins FO cleanly.
4. Hayes at the point for shot? Good coaching, no need for defenseman with 8 seconds left. Great tip for goal.

Zibanejad couldn't be more open even if the whole Devil's team decided to leave earlier for the intermission.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
That too many men penalty......i think may have been Brady's fault. Pionk and Staal were on, and all of a sudden Brady had puck. Lol. Must have thought Marc was coming off. Marc was coming up that side. Ooops.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Brodeur is a piece of garbage anyway, Brodeur would face like 15 shots a game, not to hard to win when your team would be clutching and grabbing and not allowing others to take shots on you. If Hank faced 15 shots a game, he would have more wins then Marty. BTW Hanks Save % 919, the all mighty Brodeur 912 %.
Yeah Hank is actually 8th all time in non shootout wins. And like i said before he’s going to end up top 5 in non shootout wins most likely.

So Fatso and Cangiolosi acting like shootouts are the only reason he’s reaching milestones is not only disrespectful but it’s just disingenuous.

effen

Feb 3, 2018

Lol no. Marty pavelich, Mike York, Marc savard, Alex daigle, wojtek wolski, gaborik, Darren turcotte, Spooner, poti, Mike Gartner, kamensky, easily 20 other creampuffs if I bothered to look who were all skill and marginal will. FOH with that narrative, the Devil's ran us over for almost a decade because the team was too soft.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Lol no. Marty pavelich, Mike York, Marc savard, Alex daigle, wojtek wolski, gaborik, Darren turcotte, Spooner, poti, Mike Gartner, kamensky, easily 20 other creampuffs if I bothered to look who were all skill and marginal will. FOH with that narrative, the Devil's ran us over for almost a decade because the team was too soft.
How can you forget the figure skating team of Jagr-Nylander-Straka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad