Post-Game Talk: The Powerhouse* at Devils | 7:00 pm | MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It would seem. There have been weird calls all year long and the Rangers have almost always been on the wrong end when it happens. It's a real handicap when you're 27th out of 31 on the penalty kill. Special teams situations win or lose games. If we were league average in penalties and/or on our penalty kill we would have a lot more points.

Yeah, and every time some coach gets a bit upset against us there is a compensation call made instantly.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah, and every time some coach gets a bit upset against us there is a compensation call made instantly.

It's like we lose 9 out of 10 referee decisions--not just penalties but goals called back. It seems like we lost one a couple weeks ago that seemed pretty clear we should have had on an offside. I think it was a goal that counted against us and then we got the automatic penalty for that.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
DeAngelo and Lemieux are both psychopaths and they can play hockey. Love it.
Every team needs those......players that other teams distrust and just don't know what extents they will go to. It separates some of the riff raff, men from the boys so to speak.
I would be like that if I played. What? I can get into a fight and not get arrested? I am down.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Phychos in different ways. Lemieux gets emotional but look at ADA’s eyes during the beat down. Ice cold, totally in control of the mayhem.

Fighting is stressful but controlling your heart rate/fear (staying calm) can be a big advantage. The ability to maintain balance is an advantage and not throwing yourself out of balance while exchanging punches. If you watch DeAngelo when he squares off with someone he doesn't stiffen--he loosens up--his body language is exactly what you'd want it to be and his head is up--he's reading his opponents eyes. He aims his punches. I wouldn't be surprised if he's hung around boxing clubs--it's like someone's taught him. There are guys in the league who will overpower him--he's not a heavyweight and he doesn't have great reach--(for instance Simmonds last year was a bad matchup because Simmonds uses his reach and his uppercuts come from far away but they come fast and accurate) but he's going to beat guys who are bigger than him and I think quite often. He's a little tiger.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Well you could take my word for it or you could go here:

NHL Hockey News, Scores, Standings, Rumors, Fantasy Games

Click on PIM when you get there. But anyway we're way ahead of the 2nd place Boston team. We're 810 minutes--Boston is 769 and Toronto has the least--493.

That same table will take you right to empty net goals.

The refs have hated on us all year. There have been numerous ****ed up calls--the one last night on Lemieux for instance. Mika's game misconduct was apologized for. Lemieux's match penalty was rescinded and 5 minutes subtracted a couple days later. The other part is the non-calls on other teams. Quinn's got a lot to gripe about.

Or maybe we're just a dirty team?
Cheesedick refs think they're gatekeepers making rookie coaches "earn it". I know it's a thankless job but officials don't make it easier on themselves.

Reactions: NCRanger

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Fighting is stressful but controlling your heart rate/fear (staying calm) can be a big advantage. The ability to maintain balance is an advantage and not throwing yourself out of balance while exchanging punches. If you watch DeAngelo when he squares off with someone he doesn't stiffen--he loosens up--his body language is exactly what you'd want it to be and his head is up--he's reading his opponents eyes. He aims his punches. I wouldn't be surprised if he's hung around boxing clubs--it's like someone's taught him. There are guys in the league who will overpower him--he's not a heavyweight and he doesn't have great reach--(for instance Simmonds last year was a bad matchup because Simmonds uses his reach and his uppercuts come from far away but they come fast and accurate) but he's going to beat guys who are bigger than him and I think quite often. He's a little tiger.
Years of beating up other South Jersey guys... Never forget where he came from

Reactions: TheTakedown

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
At least we're not doing that fake injury bull****. That's my line.
Don't know about you guys/gal?, but it has been a fun and interesting type year. We all signed up for this, and for ME.....they've given me just about everything I could have hoped for.

1. Competitive games. We have been blown out what? About 3 or 4 games? Most teams have much more.
2. Enough of getting to see some of our "future", as opposed to watching also rans and fill ins.
3. A coach with a plan. Accountability, and for the most part a good effort on most nights, win or lose.
4. And in the end, a decent chance of getting high end player(s)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Feel that I have to say this. Really is stating the obvious though. I wanted no higher than 5th position. Those 2 wins vs Toronto and the Blues are really going to cost us in the standings. I guess when push comes to shove, its a matter of just a few % points difference, anyway.
Happy for our players, but MORE FURIOUS with those teams that they have the audacity in thinking they didn't have to bring their "A" game against us. Guess info and scouting on the internet, isnt as fast as we may have thought.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Feel that I have to say this. Really is stating the obvious though. I wanted no higher than 5th position. Those 2 wins vs Toronto and the Blues are really going to cost us in the standings. I guess when push comes to shove, its a matter of just a few % points difference, anyway.
Happy for our players, but MORE FURIOUS with those teams that they have the audacity in thinking they didn't have to bring their "A" game against us. Guess info and scouting on the internet, isnt as fast as we may have thought.

St Louis fed us our lunch twice. Our Goalies stole points in those games, not mad at them at all.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Don't know about you guys/gal?, but it has been a fun and interesting type year. We all signed up for this, and for ME.....they've given me just about everything I could have hoped for.

1. Competitive games. We have been blown out what? About 3 or 4 games? Most teams have much more.
2. Enough of getting to see some of our "future", as opposed to watching also rans and fill ins.
3. A coach with a plan. Accountability, and for the most part a good effort on most nights, win or lose.
And we fight a lot which has been fun.

I actually like that shit when it's coming from legit hockey players.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Regarding Chytil what say you?

I like Adam, and I get where he's coming from here.

But speaking as an educator, when you're delivering a message, when you're coaching, when you're modifying the behavior of your charges, that message has to be consistent. It doesn't matter if it's garbage time. You can't be selective with core philosophies.

Maybe when you're 27, 28 you get that. At 19, 20 you're learning habits. It's the same thing when I teach; you learn habits first and then you can break conventions once you've mastered the right way to go about it.

I don't want to sound patronizing towards Chytil but I spend all day with 20-year-olds and they don't have their shit together. It needs to be repeated and consistent. No shifts off.

I haven't agreed with Quinn on every little thing, but I totally understand that philosophy.

Unfortunate he got hurt, but that can happen literally any time. It can happen in practice.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Regarding Chytil what say you?

He's a big kid. He has to learn to play physically. Mika plays very physically and I think Filip could be another Mika---in time.

Shit happens and he's not separate from it happening to him---a for instance---his collision earlier this year with Tuukka Rask. That was hard play on his part to the net and you make that play and you can expect to have to defend yourself afterwards because there will be people coming to look for you and Chityl's going to have situations like that from time to time. I want to see him engaged--that will bring out the best in him.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

I agree. For a team that I knew wasnt making playoffs when the year started i watched over 70 games and wasnt disappointed in their effort many times. I like the GM, the coach and the vets we have leading this group, and as much as people crap on Staal I think he has had a big effect on the young guys who joined the team.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I like Adam, and I get where he's coming from here.

But speaking as an educator, when you're delivering a message, when you're coaching, when you're modifying the behavior of your charges, that message has to be consistent. It doesn't matter if it's garbage time. You can't be selective with core philosophies.

Maybe when you're 27, 28 you get that. At 19, 20 you're learning habits. It's the same thing when I teach; you learn habits first and then you can break conventions once you've mastered the right way to go about it.

I don't want to sound patronizing towards Chytil but I spend all day with 20-year-olds and they don't have their **** together. It needs to be repeated and consistent. No shifts off.

I haven't agreed with Quinn on every little thing, but I totally understand that philosophy.

Unfortunate he got hurt, but that can happen literally any time. It can happen in practice.

I agree, and here's the thing, Quinn doesn't have them needlessly diving in front of pucks like they're live grenades, and he doesn't have them going out there and mauling the opposition. Chytil got hurt trying to finish a check.

Trying. To. Finish. A. Check.

In that instance, it could just as easily have been him scrambling to break up a play, or hustling to retrieve a puck, trying to dig the puck out along the boards. These are fundamental elements of what Quinn is trying to establish with this team. It sucks when a guy gets hurt, but we're not doing anything that doesn't actually serve a purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad