Post-Game Talk: The Powerhouse at Carolina | 2/19/19 - 7PM - MSG

Triumverate of Luminous Astronomical Spheroidal Objects (RIP MER-B)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Where you not around in 01-02, 05-06, or 08-09? Man this building is fun when they win, I hope they make the playoffs so you can experience it. I actually moved down here they year they came down from Hartford.

I think Tawnos came up from Charlotte.

I was in the building in 01-02 and 05-06 (I was a season ticket holder when I lived up there). 01-02 was a lot more fun, even though they won the Cup in 05-06.

Reactions: BringBackLibertys

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
I think Tawnos came up from Charlotte.

I was in the building in 01-02 and 05-06 (I was a season ticket holder when I lived up there). 01-02 was a lot more fun, even though they won the Cup in 05-06.
Agreed, I think it was because in 01-02 they just were not supposed to be there, and were playing with house money. 05-06 seemed more deserved, even though most of the league thought they should not be there.

Reactions: NCRanger

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
no insult, and not correct either.

Whether we pick 7 or 11, it'll be the same player we target.
Whether we're 6 or 12, there isn't a great correlation in difference of that player being a boom or bust.
We were two picks away from Elias Petersson who we desperately wanted. 2 absolutely otherwise meaningless regular season wins separates us from already having that insanely talented player we have been craving.

We had to settle on Lias who was definitely not the same player we were targeting (We wanted Glass too who went pick 6, one pick before us).

Kravtsov easily could've been taken at 9 or 10 if we had picked 11

While I agree in theory with some of what you're saying, I clearly also disagree with how conclusively you are viewing this

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Thats what happens when you wait until the last minute to trade...

You don't think LA got the best deal for Muzzin? Should they have waiting another month? Its such a garbage idea that the best deals are at the deadline

This only holds true when the idiots you're trading with are the NYR...and it only works in the other teams' favor

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
We were two picks away from Elias Petersson who we desperately wanted. 2 absolutely otherwise meaningless regular season wins separates us from already having that insanely talented player we have been craving.

We had to settle on Lias who was definitely not the same player we were targeting (We wanted Glass too who went pick 6, one pick before us).

Arizona needed to tank harder for us that year.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
LOL true. I wonb't lie I totally forgot it was Arizona but you can take what I said and apply it either way. Two meaningless Arizona wins separated us. Two meaningless wins could separate this team in the coming draft as well

I agree with you in that regard. The Rangers getting EP that year changes everything with this rebuild.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Was just looking at drafts from 2010-2015. It's astounding when you visualize what a barren wasteland everything outside the first round truly has been.

TB meanwhile keeps plucking every goddamn hidden gem apparently ever in existence

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think we are on the right track. We will plummet down when Zuc, Hayes and McQuaid leave. Won't get to the bottom but we certainly wont be where we are.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
POWERHOUSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
We need to change this thread topic side note.
We have won more games than have lost with it, which leads me to believe our players are reading and believing that they are.
Regardless of where we land in the sweepstakes, there inevitably will be jobs lost on this team, going into next year.
They cannot avoid that truth.

I guess if "they" dont want Jack Hughes or Kakko on this team next year or the year after......i guess thats their business.
But they are literally shooting themselves in the foot.
This is just such a trying time to be a Rangers fan, and it's starting to get to me a bit.

This tdl, is coming soon, but not soon enough.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I see the same arguments made after every game. It's a cut and paste by now. Seeing as how none of us have any impact on the team's direction, it's all moot. But try telling people who've played competitive hockey their whole lives to go out there and compete "well enough but still lose".

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Thats what happens when you wait until the last minute to trade...

You don't think LA got the best deal for Muzzin? Should they have waiting another month? Its such a garbage idea that the best deals are at the deadline
I am a FIRM believer that every GM knows what they "should at least get for player X." If they get an offer that is what was expected.......they should "take it" and NOT gamble. Depending on the market and WHAT player is available with your team....... if there is significant "upside" in waiting and not happy what was proposed.....well then, duh. You wait.
I am not saying anything earth shattering here, all I am saying is when you have 3 or 4 players possibly moving, making a deal or 2 "well before" the deadline, will lighten the stress and the possibility of making a WRONG DECISION based on the time that is dwindling, and drawing closer and closer to the deadline. It is called "pressure". Gorton hasn't been doing this nearly as long as Sather has (and I am still sure he is in Gorton's ear) but that is just ANOTHER issue for Gorton to deal with. He is his "mentor", and with that comes the pressure of making the right moves. (And if Sather IS THERE, that doesn't necessarily make it a given that they are the right moves, or may add to the confusion. Sometimes less is better.

There are many dominoes that will fall a certain way. And if player "X" is taken off the board then you have to put yourself in that GM's shoes, and thinking that he "has to" or "more likely to do" something that he may have NOT DONE "if" he wasn't pressured to do such. Lots of thinking in this, and again all I am saying is that maybe McQuaid and lesser pieces should be a done deal........well before calculating the Zuccha and Hayes deals.

We are NOT really trying to make the PO's. We can stand PAT with Zuccha and Hayes and sign them moving forward, if need be. We are in a position of strength here.......and Gorton must understand this......do NOT settle, get what you can, but don't wait until the last second. The TB trade last year was like one of the very last, right? Just saying.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I am a FIRM believer that every GM knows what they "should at least get for player X." If they get an offer that is what was expected.......they should "take it" and NOT gamble. Depending on the market and WHAT player is available with your team....... if there is significant "upside" in waiting and not happy what was proposed.....well then, duh. You wait.
I am not saying anything earth shattering here, all I am saying is when you have 3 or 4 players possibly moving, making a deal or 2 "well before" the deadline, will lighten the stress and the possibility of making a WRONG DECISION based on the time that is dwindling, and drawing closer and closer to the deadline. It is called "pressure". Gorton hasn't been doing this nearly as long as Sather has (and I am still sure he is in Gorton's ear) but that is just ANOTHER issue for Gorton to deal with. He is his "mentor", and with that comes the pressure of making the right moves. (And if Sather IS THERE, that doesn't necessarily make it a given that they are the right moves, or may add to the confusion. Sometimes less is better.

There are many dominoes that will fall a certain way. And if player "X" is taken off the board then you have to put yourself in that GM's shoes, and thinking that he "has to" or "more likely to do" something that he may have NOT DONE "if" he wasn't pressured to do such. Lots of thinking in this, and again all I am saying is that maybe McQuaid and lesser pieces should be a done deal........well before calculating the Zuccha and Hayes deals.

We are NOT really trying to make the PO's. We can stand PAT with Zuccha and Hayes and sign them moving forward, if need be. We are in a position of strength here.......and Gorton must understand this......do NOT settle, get what you can, but don't wait until the last second. The TB trade last year was like one of the very last, right? Just saying.
Or they walk away free and we get nothing and the rebuild takes longer...

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Agreed, I think it was because in 01-02 they just were not supposed to be there, and were playing with house money. 05-06 seemed more deserved, even though most of the league thought they should not be there.

I moved to Charlotte the first time early in 06, but the one game I went to in Raleigh, the building was somewhat dead. Between 07-11 I lived in Charleston and Nashville. Came back to Charlotte in 11 and every game I’ve gone to since had been pretty dead until last nights.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I agree with you in that regard. The Rangers getting EP that year changes everything with this rebuild.
Lets seriously look on the bright side here. Had we gotten Pettersen, it would have changed everything. We would have instantaneously satisfied that "need", but we probably wouldnt be in the position that we are in now. Who is to say we would have been better off in the long run with Pettersen?

Maybe, just maybe we draft 2 Pettersen's in this upcoming draft. (You know what I mean) Our #1, possibly combining 2 other #1's to move up.......(TB's possible #1, Hayes or Zuccha's) lots of possibilities......right?

effen

Feb 3, 2018
LOL true. I wonb't lie I totally forgot it was Arizona but you can take what I said and apply it either way. Two meaningless Arizona wins separated us. Two meaningless wins could separate this team in the coming draft as well
While I can't speak for the specific one the NHL uses, most RNGs wouldn't have output the same draft order if the participants had swapped places. NYR doesn't necessarily get 5th in the Petterson draft for example.

Even if it was, thinking that way about results from years past is just torturous =P

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Two points in the Stolen column, I’d say ;)
For whatever reason Carolina came into this game with a chip on their collective shoulder and seemed to rile up the Rangers. It was a fun, emotional game.
I think Carolina is a solid team, but like the Rangers, they can’t finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad