The Positivity Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
On Forward we finally have a top 6 with some highly skilled guys! Drouin/Galchenyuk/Gallagher/Lehkonen are all young skillled players.

On Defence: Alzner-Petry will be a dominant pairng. We have a lot of dmen who could step up to play with Weber, one just has to.

And we have the best goalie in the league.

We also are in good shape capwise to make a big splash if the opportunity arises

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Excellent, young wingers on the rise. Best goaltender in the league. A stud defensive prospect (Mete). A great coach.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yeah, the Drouin trade was a nice one. I liked Sergachev, but Drouin is exactly the type of forward we need. Signed to a nice deal also, so hopefully he excels in the limelight.

Looking forward to Lehkonen continuing his development.

Happy questions around Price's contract are done with.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
FACT #1 : In the previous 5 summers, "experts" and other fanbases always predicted other teams to win our division, while they thought the Habs would be a lower seed.

The Hockey Writers

2012-13
1- Boston
2- Tampa
3- Ottawa
4- Florida
5- Montreal

2013-14
1- Boston
2- Detroit
3- Montreal

2014-15
1- Boston
2- Tampa
3- Montreal

2015-16
1- Tampa
2- Montreal
3- Florida

2016-17
1- Tampa
2- Montreal
3- Florida

Bleacher report

2012-13
1- Boston
2- Buffalo
3- Ottawa
4- Montreal

2013-14
1- Boston
2- Tampa
3- Montreal

2014-15
1- Tampa
2- Boston`
3- Montreal

2015-16
1- Tampa
2- Montreal
3- Ottawa

2016-17
1- Tampa
2- Florida
3- Montreal

----------------------

FACT #2 : The Montreal Canadiens finished on top of the Atlantic division for 3 of the past 5 years.

----------------------

FACT #3 : the very same "experts" and other fanbases are once again predicting the Habs to be a lower seed team in 2017-18.

The Hockey Writers

2017-18
1- Tampa
2- Toronto
3- Montreal

Bleacher Report

Yet to come. But I'm willing to bet Habs won't be #1.

I went with Hockey Writers and Bleacher Report, but I could have done the same exercise for any hockey website, basically.

I think this speaks volume on how underrated the Habs have been, and continue to be.

By the way, Habs made "experts" eat crow that often, despite being coached by Therrien, who many here considered to be a bad coach. I still believe Therrien was an underrated coach.
TBH, I would rather not finish top of the division and play one more round in PO.

Also, I do no see us on top of the division.
AFAIK, Tampa, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and even Florida can all win the division title.

BTW, you can add the RDS experts to that list. I never see them predicting the division title for the Habs.

Of course Therrien was underrated but it was time to change and Julien is the best option.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'd be extremely surprised if Ottawa make the playoffs next season.
In fact, I won't be surprised when they finish, like, 6th in the division.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I think this speaks volume on how underrated the Habs have been, and continue to be.

The reason the Habs are continuously underrated at the start of any season is because experts know any injury to Price, means a tumble in the standings for the Habs. Also it's obvious in these rankings that goal scoring is more valuable then goaltending as you can predict goals, you can't really predict goaltending.

The Habs top6 is a discussion I gravitate towards. Through my research on this team, it is always the main detractor in the Habs success. Last year the Habs had only 3 players who were able to manage 0.55 PPG (This is the average points per game of forwards ranked 91-180 last year) in Pacioretty, Galchenyuk and Radulov. Byron was next on the list at 0.531, however I can't consider him a top6 until he proves he can improve and be consistent. Byron is an amazing depth player who can step up in case of injuries, I just don't want him penciled in as a top6 player, the Habs need more quality then that. Next is Danault, who at 23 years old looks to be our next #2C. If he is able to improve, which I think is likely, this shouldn't be that bad going forward. Since he is a center, I would like 55-60 points. I know this is higher then the 0.55 range but that is what I would like from a #2C. This was Gallagher's worst season of his career. I hope he returns to form and finds his confidence. We desperately need his production. Shaw... No clue what he is supposed to be. Lehkonen. Lehkonen. Lehkonen. I absolutely loved how he picked up his game in the playoffs. That was exactly what I wanted to see. His regular season was borderline mediocre, however because of his playoff performance I can see him as a top6 F as soon as this season. He just needs to put it all together night in and night out.

It's not like the Habs are the only team in the NHL with question marks all over the place, some of those question marks need to get answered quickly. Within the first two months Galchenyuk and Danault need to show they are capable centers. Pushing Danault down to the 3rd line while finding a new home for Plekanec's because of a incoming center would not bother me. Danault can stay and Galchenyuk to the wing. I really hope the Habs don't trade Galchenyuk and keep Pacioretty... It can all hinder on Lehkonen. If he can't really hack it in the top6, a center comes in and Galchenyuk moves to the wing.

The Habs have options, but my biggest fear is these options won't help improve the fact that they scored 3 or more goals in a game 41 times last years (20th in the NHL). The thing is the Habs are 2nd best when scoring 3 or more goals turning in 76 points out of 82. If the Habs score more goals, last year they turned that into wins. That can't be said for every team; Winnipeg tied for 4th with 48 games of 3 or more goals, converted only 73 points out of 96. This shows a need shore up their defense.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I really thank the person responsible for starting this thread. It has been my favorite thread to read.

I can't add much to what has been said so I will affirm some of the thoughts that have me excited:
1. Price is still and always will be a Hab
2. The improvement of our young forwards should be fun to watch- Lehk and Danault in particular
3. Getting a young potential super star forward in Drouin IMO is more important than hoping a prospect young defenseman develops.
4. We have so many possibilities on defense. No one is mentioning LERNOUT but I bet Claude is rooting for him to rise up and be noticed
5. The many guys we picked up should suffice so I'm not crying over losing a 39 year old.
6. The cap space we have might be huge in picking up that center we all so desperately covet. This is another reason why I'm not too upset that Rads or Markov resigned. That saved money could possibly be used for a better fish who fits a greater need- center.
7. We are a very young team, so it's not like we are an aging team that has to win it now.
8. I'm looking forward to seeing some players who didn't play all that great, make a COMEBACK and play bigger than last year. We all know who these guys are.

Sorry for the repetition and the length. As you can tell, I'm excited too.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I'd be extremely surprised if Ottawa make the playoffs next season.
In fact, I won't be surprised when they finish, like, 6th in the division.
They are adding Oduya and Chabot to replace Methot.
Claesson should improve.

Why would they miss the PO?

At worst, MacArthur is not performing.
At best, he brings another 40+ points.

Pretty tough to predict them out of PO after they lost in 2nd OT of game 7 in ECF.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The Habs will certainly have a different look on defence, losing 3 out of 4 mainstays on the blueline, would effect any team. Changing with the times/speed is a necessary progression in any Era, the Habs are a team that has always been ahead of the flow, so to speak. The Salary Cap Era means a GM has to make the hard moves dictated, eventually players like Markov fall to these pressures. Despite having HC Claude Julien there to mend/blend the new pieces, into a cohesive playoff team. This may be a difficult transition year for the Habs, but a necessary evil in staying at the forefront for their future. As a lifelong hockey fanatic, I'm fully prepared for whatever consequences those moves create, whether a non-playoff year this season or not.

2018 Entry draft will be a fruitful year to finish as a lottery team, any team that doesn't qualify for a playoff spot, wildcard or not. When 31 teams are all vying for those 16 spots, without having to face the Habs losses on defence, odds are against our Habs. Gaining Johnathan Drouin(LW/RW) dictated making the Sergachev trade, a generational talent & Francophone as a bonus, was absolutely the right move by Bergevin. The loss of Radulov, Markov, Emelin & Beaulieu, will open the way for Habs prospects to step into the voids left, IMHO!!!...:nod::nod::nod:

These are transitions that Habs teams in the past have undergone, with similar fates in the following year, so I'm more than welcoming the changes, actually greeting them with excitement for the Habs future.

Go Habs Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Good chance that Gally, Lekhonen, Plekanec, Drouin, Hemsky, Galchenyuk improve.
I would add Danault.

But getting 30-35 points from Hemsky on third line would be great.

As for Plekanec, I expect him to bounce back and get at least 35 points.

Last year, we did not know what Lehkonen could do.
This year we know and his last 12 games and PO were fabulous.
He did the same in his last season in Frolunda.

Also, Galchenyuk was great before his injury and Max said that he played injured when he came back.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
TBH, I would rather not finish top of the division and play one more round in PO.

Also, I do no see us on top of the division.
AFAIK, Tampa, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and even Florida can all win the division title.

BTW, you can add the RDS experts to that list. I never see them predicting the division title for the Habs.

Of course Therrien was underrated but it was time to change and Julien is the best option.

Winning the division was more of a curse than a blessing last year. What a reward to play the Rangers a team with 1 less point then the habs. While the Sens/Bruins played each other the 6/7 seeds.

Habs might be better off finishing 2nd and only having to play Atlantic teams till the ECF. If habs had lost those 3 games to Ottawa odds are we get the Bruins in round 1.

The division is up in the air but I think Habs have just a good chance as any team. Each team in the Atlantic can be broken down to show weakness. Example:

TB - Lost Drouin/Bishop/Fipula. Is Vas a real number 1?
BOS/OTTAWA - no big splashes and both teams were worse than the habs last year. All improvement will have to be internal.
FLA - Gong show and a team that can never put things together. Luongo is older and they lost 46 pts from Jagr (8 less than Radu and 3 less goals)

My pick is TOR to surprise everyone, but Habs should be in the mix.

The division will come down to health and goaltending. Any team with major injuries will be toast and if a teams goalie craps the bed they are done as well.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
They are adding Oduya and Chabot to replace Methot.
Claesson should improve.

Why would they miss the PO?

At worst, MacArthur is not performing.
At best, he brings another 40+ points.

Pretty tough to predict them out of PO after they lost in 2nd OT of game 7 in ECF.

Because Ottawa always makes the playoffs then misses the playoffs. They also finshed as a 6th seed in the east. If habs are going to fall well Ottawa was already below them.

And a good playoff run doesn't always translate into following season success.

If any team will fall out its between them and Boston IMHO.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
I just decide to only read this thread for the next two days! I feel hapier for some reason!

Go habs go,

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Drouin, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, Danault are all bright young players up front and they are all top 6 guys. It will be interesting to see if these guys can take a step forward. If they do take a step forward, we could be a threat offensively.

In the prospects department, I look forward to see what Juulsen, Lernout, Hudon, DLR and McCarron can do. I think some of these guys have got to be NHLers and I think for some of them it's got to be now.

We'll have a big defensively focused and responsible D squad next year with Benn, Weber, Petry and Alzner. I'd bet money those type of players will thrive under Julien and in front of Price.

Plekanec will be an UFA next season. He's got to have some juice left. Can't imagine he's ready for retirement. If he wants to have a career after this next season he'll have to turn it around big time. I don't see him becoming the player he once was but he could have a resurrection type season.

Julien from day 1 after having seen this team behave in the last season will be a big plus of course. If anything, the best thing about Julien is that we won't hear people cry non-stop about the coach. He at least has a one year leash, although I suspect he might have used up 80% of his good will with the #27 situation.

There is a lot to look forward to next season.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Many seem to forget that Gallagher had a pace of 62 points and almost 30 goals back in 2015-16.

We saw Galchenyuk getting a pace of 59 points but 24 points in 25 games before his injury.

As for Drouin, he had a pace of 59 points.

Lehkonen had 11 points in 12 games toward the end of the season.
I don't expect him to go through slumps like he did in his first year.
Without a slump he scores 45-50 points.

So four players with 60+ points and one with 50 points in our top-5.
I feel that in this context Danault would also get at least 45 points.

The question is: Can Hudon get 30+ points on a third line?

Player 61

#Winning
Aug 4, 2007
West Island
Habs will not start season with 8+ Million is cap space. Something is brewing, a trade with Edmonton for a Centre? speculate all wish but something will happen!

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I just decide to only read this thread for the next two days! I feel hapier for some reason!

Go habs go,

Same......such an uplifting thread....makes my day reading positives.....:handclap:

Agreed! Go Habs Go!

Drouin is going to explode this season, Danault is going to serve a ton of crow to members of this board and establish himself as a solid top 6 center.

Gally will bounce back and have a career year.

Petry will be finally unleashed offensively being paired with Alzner, I expect 35+ points out of him.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I think the in season trade deadline might be when we use it.

I agree with you. In the past, we were tight against the cap. So all we could do is hope for a rental. Bergevin would now have the option to sign a player at the TDL.

The Kings picked up Gaborik in 2014 for a 2nd, 3rd and plug Frattin from Columbus. Gaborik went on to score 14 goals (22 points) in 26 playoff games helping the Kings win a Cup.

Letting Markov walk shows Bergevin is going to be patient and wait for opportunities for the $8.5 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad