OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Whats a Running Back? Does it make the Steel Steeler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
For some reason Tomlin is stuck in his ways and doesn't copycat the league.

Let’s not pretend anymore it’s a mystery.

If a child is never taught accountability, he’s going to grow up to be an asshole because he has no reason to change his behaviors.

There are no repercussions.

Rooney doesn’t make Tomlin fear for his job, so he doesn’t have to change or have tangible results - just being a podium legend is all it takes.

Tomlin in turn is insulated from reality by being an employee of the only NFL org that gives lifetime jobs.

He buys into all the idiotic press clipping about his “greatness” but the reality is, Tomlin is the Emperor without clothes.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
If KP is done for the year, if I was Khan I would begin nuking this offense like you’re 0-4. Trades, firings, etc. It can’t be worse and you’d have no “continuity” to worry about with your QB.

Edit- sounds like he’s going to miss games but not the season. Still firing the OC. I’m also all over Pickett with replays of his injury play Clockwork Orange style to keep him from bailing on pockets lmao.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
For the first time in a long time, I really have nothing to say.

That game fully put the fire out for me this season. There is so much wrong that I don't think they have what it takes to be anything more than a bottom feeding team.

If I were Khan, I'd firesale the offense and wipe out the entire coaching staff. This defense sucks without Cam Heyward. How one defensive lineman makes this whole thing run is incredible.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Six years of absolutely doing shit in the playoffs too. Most franchises would can a coach for that kind of failure.

The Rooney way isn't the right way after all.

Who didn't see that coming.

That game fully put the fire out for me this season. There is so much wrong that I don't think they have what it takes to be anything more than a bottom feeding team.

If I were Khan, I'd firesale the offense and wipe out the entire coaching staff. This defense sucks without Cam Heyward. How one defensive lineman makes this whole thing run is incredible.

Does Khan have the authority to fire Tomlin? I don't think he does.

Unless that's not what you mean.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Between the Steelers and Pitt football I am regretting being excited for football season :laugh:

Even last year there were some things to be excited about. This year though…man it’s tough. I guess some of the young guys on defense look solid but they also never get to play for reasons.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
It’ll take the national audience turning on Tomlin before he’s even remotely on a warm seat. Rooney will never fire him if it means a shit storm coming his way from every corner of national media…which it would. Tomlin is too well liked, by players and media alike.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Six years later and the man was spot on.......and the media covered for Tomlin

Yep. I don't think Tomlin being a cheerleader is even an issue, though. Terry stops short of saying the same about Cowher, but I think he pretty much was a cheerleader type, too. The difference is that Cowher was smart enough, humble enough, or had enough pressure to "win the big one" that he had good coordinators. That's the issue.

If KP is done for the year, if I was Khan I would begin nuking this offense like you’re 0-4. Trades, firings, etc. It can’t be worse and you’d have no “continuity” to worry about with your QB.

Edit- sounds like he’s going to miss games but not the season. Still firing the OC. I’m also all over Pickett with replays of his injury play Clockwork Orange style to keep him from bailing on pockets lmao.
Fire the OC first and then reevaluate. Don't go wasting assets or giving away useful players just because they can't make this shit offense work.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Like I've said before, I have hope because I think we have a highly competent front office. How they go forward from this point on, I really don't think it matters. The fact that we are 2-2 is kind of unbelievable because good football has not been played in any facet, IMO.

Even if we fire Canada, I'm not sure who you bring in at this point. It's so bad that I just don't think it can be fixed. The biggest let down from this game is 0 sacks against a rookie QB and a patchwork line with our two OLBs healthy. Inexcusable.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Am I the only one who wants Rudolph in over Trubisky?

And to be honest, Rudolph working with worse weapons looked better than Pickett imo, that first year.

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Depending how this continues to go, to me, this team currently looks like a HC whose message has expired. We will see how this season goes, but I really do think we are coming to the end of the road for Tomlin. It just makes too much sense. New front office, new QB. Clean house, hire a young coordinator that is ready for a HC job and let him build a staff here.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Before the season started I was thinking I'd perhaps consider attending a Steelers game. I haven't seen an NFL game in person in about 8 years.

Well yesterday sealed it. Definitely will not be making those plans. Tomlin fooled me again and it's really my fault for having any shred of hope.

KP has regressed with better offensive talent around him. Canada's offense got figured by the Redskins in the Covid 11-0 start. Ever since that game DC's know with about 90% certainty what play is coming.

Reactions: Night Shift

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
This is why bringing back Canada was such a bad move. Pickett chooses not to make throws and does other things that make me question whether he’ll ever be anything more than a bottom tier QB, but it’s impossible to make that call without putting him in a decent offensive system.

That play is 100% on Kenny. The WR is wide open and he is looking at him and he doesn't throw the ball. I think Canada is terrible but that play is not an example for it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Depending how this continues to go, to me, this team currently looks like a HC whose message has expired. We will see how this season goes, but I really do think we are coming to the end of the road for Tomlin. It just makes too much sense. New front office, new QB. Clean house, hire a young coordinator that is ready for a HC job and let him build a staff here.
I know you like our new front office but what makes you think they have any authority over the firing of Mike Tomlin? From what it sounds like, that’s solely ARII’s call…it’s unfortunate…it’s like I’m pretty sure Dubas can’t fire Sullivan on his own either…these are coaches beloved by ownership for past accomplishments like 6-10+ years ago…I’ll believe he can be fired when I see it lol because Art has basically said he has a job here as long as he wants it

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Not only the results but the game play that gives us the results. Even in a winning effort, I can't remember a game in which something ludicrous didn't happen or in which a sequence that should never have happened did happen. Things comical, almost unbelievable, crazy time in nearly every game. And those are the good ones. In games where no crazy stuff happens, Steelers get rolled.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
That play is 100% on Kenny. The WR is wide open and he is looking at him and he doesn't throw the ball. I think Canada is terrible but that play is not an example for it.

I probably was not super clear but yeah I agree. It’s plays like that where Pickett does something or fails to do something that makes me question whether Pickett even with a better OC could be the guy.

But we’ll never know for sure until we actually see him with a legit coordinator.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I probably was not super clear but yeah I agree. It’s plays like that where Pickett does something or fails to do something that makes me question whether Pickett even with a better OC could be the guy.

But we’ll never know for sure until we actually see him with a legit coordinator.

Gotcha, yeah agreed.

That being said, he was all gung ho during the offseason about he was working with Canada and the offense was gonna be awesome and he was helping design the offense etc. And if he is unwilling to throw the ball to wide open receivers regardless of pocket pressure, then he will not be successful.

I was already extremely weary about him after last season. I'm pretty much in the they need to find another guy bucket.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Not only the results but the game play that gives us the results. Even in a winning effort, I can't remember a game in which something ludicrous didn't happen or in which a sequence that should never have happened did happen. Things comical, almost unbelievable, crazy time in nearly every game. And those are the good ones. In games where no crazy stuff happens, Steelers get rolled.
My buddy and I had this conversation while watching SF. He asked, "when was the last time the Pittsburgh Steelers came into games and just flat out dominated game in and game out?" I don't think it has happened since Dick Lebeau left. Every single game is squeezed out to the bitter end or something insane happens and somehow they win. It's always stressful. It's always unpredictable. Basically, the entire league aside from Philly and SF are within 1 game of eachother, so anything can happen, but it really isn't in our best interest to let any of this go on any further. I'm for the nuke button.

Reactions: Andy99

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
I don't think I'm totally serious when I ponder this scenario in detail, but I wonder if I'm not looking back 3 years from now wishing this team had traded what remained of elite talent on the team for draft stock and truly rebuilt after this season, much like I believed so then but am confident now it was the wrong decision to draft Najee and Friermuth over prioritizing the lines because they wrongly tried to give Ben better weapons his last year of his career in an inevitably wasted season.

Watt will be 30 sooner rather than later, Cam will retire similarly, and there's no guarantee the Pickens types don't diva their way off the team after getting fed up with the quarterback/coordinator being incapable of running a successful offense. Look at Jamar Chase's comments from post-game yesterday, and he has Joe freakin Burrow throwing him balls whose already led them to a Super Bowl. The locker room knows before anyone outside the building when a player/team doesn't have what's required to win in this league, once they give up on you it's over and you'd best move on or you'll risk a mutiny, look at the Jets.

Problem is barring Rooney doing the unthinkable and completely cleaning house including Tomlin, this team will try their hardest to avoid a truly terrible season, so it's not even a realistic scenario to even hope for. Win middle, draft middle, stay middle is the eternal future this team has to look forward to until Mike "Jeff Fisher" Tomlin is gone.

Another issue along the same lines is how is this team ever gonna entice the young Reid or Shanahan tree offensive types to come here when it's strongly hinted at by local media that Art underpays his coaching staff beyond Tomlin. On top of that, as long as Tomlin has the perceived best job security in the league, there's no perceivable opportunity for advancement for a young up and coming coach here. Then there's the other aspect strongly hinted at that Tomlin meddles in his coordinators duties, specifically the defensive coordinator's based on Butler's statements after he left. Which then leads to the assumption Tomlin is one of the reasons the offense is so conservative, that he limits the type of offense he allows the coordinator to run. The whole wants to keep the score of the game low and let his defense make enough plays to win spiel, in an overwhelmingly offensive league.

All in all, this is not a very attractive destination for an actual modern coach with real potential to seek out, as other teams will likely always offer more control in their coordinator positions, if not the head coach position itself. Until Tomlin is gone, this team will likely never be the first option of any potential hire.

Outside of Kahn and Weidl pulling successive rabbits out of their hats for multiple drafts and somehow brute forcing a winning roster into this clown show, how does this organization realistically improve to the point where they can hang with the Chiefs and Bills of the conference, let alone an Eagles or 49ers in the Super Bowl? They're so far away from that standard it should be blasphemy to even suggest it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaosAgent

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
The roster should be good enough on paper. Kahn did a fantastic job this off-season. KP is another issue entirely but a chunk of that is on how he’s coached. There’s one common denominator with what’s going on.

Our only hope is new coordinators…and good ones.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad