OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Camp Tomlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'll admit, I am jaded from Jarvis Jones.

The Steelers have a recent history of drafting outside pass rushers that can't get to the QB in NFL preseason games. The best was Worilds and he was nearly invisible for 2 years.

Here were the Dupree highlights shown (that I can remember)
1 Outside shoulder on a college RT beat him to the outside
2 Blitz up the middle against a college RB
3 Outside shoulder on a college RT beat him to the outside
4 Outside shoulder on a college RT stayed outside and tackled a screen

Not outside go inside. Not inside go outside. Not straight up dogfights. RT not LT. Nothing unexpected. Nothing impressive.

I'm not expert, but I would think they based the pick on more than 4 or 5 plays.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Overvalued
1) Bud Dupree, OLB, Kentucky: I love Dupree's potential, but he wasn't a consistent player during his college career. He is going to get selected very high in this draft -- in fact, I'll be shocked if he doesn't go in the top 10. He could eventually live up to the high draft pedigree, but it's far from a sure thing. This is a prospect who needs time to develop.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap3...ler-lockett-undervalued-bud-dupree-overvalued

Bud Dupree over Vic Beasley for Bears at No. 7?
http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/bud-dupree-over-vic-beasley-bears-no-7

One of the most polarizing prospects of the 2015 NFL draft is Kentucky pass-rusher Alvin 'Bud' Dupree.

At 6'3", 270 pounds, Dupree played in a 4-3/3-4 hybrid scheme that saw him used as more of a 3-4 outside linebacker than a 4-3 defensive end. This past season, Dupree led all SEC defensive linemen with 74 total tackles to go with 12.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 quarterback sacks.

He finished his four-year career with 23.5 sacks, 247 tackles, 38 tackles for loss and four forced fumbles while starting in the final 38 games of his career. Dupree was a terror off the edge, and he could thrive in the NFL if used properly.

What makes him so intriguing is his immense talent and potential, which were evident in brief glimpses in college, but he never consistently dominated a game like a potential top-10 pick should.

What makes Dupree stand out is his speed and burst off the snap. He beats opposing lineman off the snap as good as any prospect in this draft, which is what has scouts drooling over his potential in the NFL.

However, Dupree is like a fish out of water. He struggles to shed blockers and gets stoned when lineman are able to set their base against him. Dupree isn't technically sound either. His dip-and-rip move leaves a lot to be desired of a pass-rusher. He simply cannot get off blocks if he doesn't beat his lineman to the edge

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/4/27/8450675/nfl-draft-alvin-bud-dupree-scouting-report

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I was mistaken about him being all potential. If he led linemen statistically in the SEC that is pretty impressive. Arguably the best conference in college football. Lead that conference and you are big time.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Which is why I'm shocked he fell out of the top 10.

Results and potential and measurables...consistency is his big flaw, and that's something that can be worked on, as long as he's willing to.

Also I love drafted a guy named Bud while in the shadow of the Buckingham Fountain. I had Love and Marriage stuck in my head for a month after visiting that thing.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Which is why I'm shocked he fell out of the top 10.

Results and potential and measurables...consistency is his big flaw, and that's something that can be worked on, as long as he's willing to.

Also I love drafted a guy named Bud while in the shadow of the Buckingham Fountain. I had Love and Marriage stuck in my head for a month after visiting that thing.

Watch the video I linked, great analysis and will make you more excited for the pick.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
He's got an edge on Jarvis due to his speed IMO. You can't teach that.

I'm excited for this. Hopefully we nab a few corners in the next few rounds.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
CBS.com gave the Steelers the only A+ of all the first round picks.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I was surprised Dupree was still there. Different situation from Jarvis Jones. Jarvis had tons of college production and underwhelming measurables. Dupree has great measurables. Hopefully both can figure it out and form a nice tandem. Kind of a make or break year for Jarvis at this point.

Really need to grab a CB or two in the next couple of rounds.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'm seriously wondering if we're going to be waiting until round 4 or 5 again for a CB. I simply see no way you can neglect the position considering the personnel there. I love the Dupree pick and with refinement and work on his technique and craft could be a dominant backer for us, but CB is a must have, possibly with both 2nd and 3rd rd picks.

Guys we need to keep a close eye on if they start falling into the 40's:

Landon Collins SS (if they don't think Shamarko is the guy)
Eric Rowe CB/S (Steelers love versatile players)
Jalen Collins CB (Some red flags but best cover CB left)
Eddie Goldman NT (Legit NT prospect and we need one)
Ronald Darby CB (Another guy with character issues but good CB prospect)
Dorial Green Beckham (He's a freak of nature but has character issues)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jesus.... You can't read a write up without someone saying he's a top ten pick. This could be a great pick.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I found very few nationally who did not like, no make that love, the Steeler's pick.

Sports Illustrated gave the pick an A-

The top-10 buzz surrounding Kentucky edge-rusher Bud Dupree was a bit over the top given his limitations. At No. 22, though, where the Steelers selected Dupree on Thursday night, Dupree's upside will be less scrutinized.

The Pittsburgh defensive approach also could make Dupree an impact defender right away—he's a strong, athletic force outside, at his best when he can pin his ears back and get downhill. The Steelers will be able to use him in coverage, as well, which obviously adds to his value. The main knock (and the reason he dipped out of the top 10 down to this pick) is that he is very raw. That's true both about his counter-moves when he's blocked and his ability to diagnose a play. The upside is through the roof. Pittsburgh has limited options at OLB, even re-signing James Harrison again while hoping Jarvis Jones develops. Dupree's a fit.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/04/30/pittsburgh-steelers-select-bud-dupree-2015-nfl-draft

CBS Sports gave the pick an A+

With the 22nd pick in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Kentucky outside linebacker Alvin "Bud" Dupree.

CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco LOVES the pick: Dupree -- A+ They have to get a young pass rusher, and they had to be shocked to see this kid here.

Dupree is a physical freak of nature. At 6-4, 270 pounds, he blazed a 4.56 40 and had 42-inch vertical at the February combine. Those numbers sent coaches, scouts and front-office types back to the game tape where Dupree wasn't nearly as impressive. And while the question isn't whether he can be an impact edge rusher -- he can, we saw glimpses of the out-of-this-world potential last season -- it's if he can do it consistently in the NFL. The Steelers clearly think he can, and in an age when pass rushers are arguably the second-most important players after franchise quarterbacks, you can understand why Dupree landed in Pittsburgh.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ers-get-a-for-picking-olb-bud-dupree-at-no-22

ESPN gave the pick a thumbs up

The Steelers historically are a great pass-rushing team and have had unbelievable players at the outside linebacker position under Dick LeBeau. LeBeau is now in Tennessee, but things are not expected to change much from a scheme perspective. Dupree is far from a polished prospect but his upside is through the roof. Thumbs up. -- Matt Williamson

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/166721/thumbs-up-thumbs-down-for-first-round-draft-picks

SBNation another A:

Regardless of whether you stood in the 'we need a cornerback' camp, or if you were the leader of the 'pass rush hides a poor secondary' camp, it is hard to ignore the up-side Dupree brings to the table. You might not know much about Dupree right now, but I have a feeling you will soon enough.

BTSC Grade: A

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...rading-the-pittsburgh-steelers-1st-round-pick

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
One more thing, that is kinda cool. There is a Clowney comparison and Dupree said he would beat Clowney's ridiculous combine numbers . . . . . and the almost did. Think about that for a second, both the accomplishment and the confidence in himself to call it beforehand. It ain't bragging if you can back it up.

From an article before the combine:

'Before anyone etches in granite Jadeveon Clowney's 4.53 40-yard dash as one of the greatest feats for a defensive end in NFL Scouting Combine history, keep a spot on the slab open for Bud Dupree.

The Kentucky defensive end, who is the SEC's leading returning pass rusher with seven sacks last season, wouldn't be surprised if he ran even faster.

"I definitely think I will blow the combine up," Dupree said Thursday as SEC Media Days drew to a close. "... In the 40-yard dash, I probably can run a high 4.4 or a low 4.5. In the vertical jump, I can get a 41 or a 42, and in the broad jump, I know I can get 11 feet. I just have to keep working hard to match those numbers."

About 10 weeks after being clocked at 4.53 seconds at the combine, Clowney was chosen No. 1 overall by the Houston Texans. At 270 pounds, Clowney's performance at the combine was hailed as something of a standard-setter for his position. His 40-yard dash was the best among all defensive linemen. Dupree's predictions on the vertical and broad jumps would have raised eyebrows at the 2014 combine, as well.

Howard Jones of Shepherd University posted a 40.5-inch vertical jump to lead all defensive linemen, and North Carolina's Kareem Martin led the field in the broad jump at 10-9. Clowney finished second among defensive linemen in both events (37.5 and 10-4). Dupree, in essence, is saying he could have topped last year's combine in all three categories.'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ckys-bud-dupree-predicts-hell-blow-up-combine

Then the actual combine numbers:

Alvin Bud' Dupree, Defensive End/Outside Linebacker, Kentucky

HEIGHT: 6'4"

ARM LENGTH: 32 5/8"

WEIGHT: 269 lbs.

HANDS: 9 3/4"

40-YARD DASH: 4.56 sec

VERTICAL JUMP: 42.0"

BROAD JUMP: 138.0" (11.5 feet)

20-YARD SHUTTLE: 4.47 sec

3-CONE DRILL:: 7.49 sec

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/4/27/8450675/nfl-draft-alvin-bud-dupree-scouting-report

Overall this kid is MORE athletic than Clowney was. Think on that.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Last thought.

Day 2, second round.

Landon Collins, Jalen Collins or PJ Williams?

Or someone else?

Who do you hope that the Steelers get?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'm seriously wondering if we're going to be waiting until round 4 or 5 again for a CB. I simply see no way you can neglect the position considering the personnel there. I love the Dupree pick and with refinement and work on his technique and craft could be a dominant backer for us, but CB is a must have, possibly with both 2nd and 3rd rd picks.

Guys we need to keep a close eye on if they start falling into the 40's:

Landon Collins SS (if they don't think Shamarko is the guy)
Eric Rowe CB/S (Steelers love versatile players)
Jalen Collins CB (Some red flags but best cover CB left)
Eddie Goldman NT (Legit NT prospect and we need one)
Ronald Darby CB (Another guy with character issues but good CB prospect)
Dorial Green Beckham (He's a freak of nature but has character issues)

I think we're fine at NT with McCullers and McLendon. I have heard people rave about Goldman though. I guess I'd be cool with taking him if he's the BPA. My guess is most of those guys you listed come off the board pretty early in round two. Hopefully a good CB is still there. I just hope they don't reach. Take the best value.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Last thought.

Day 2, second round.

Landon Collins, Jalen Collins or PJ Williams?

Or someone else?

Who do you hope that the Steelers get?

Collins would be nice...either one. Also if Gregory drops that far, you'd have to seriously consider it.

So is Dupree gonna play DE or OLB for the Steelers? Or just the Leo position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad