OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Camp Tomlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I don't think AB ever intended to hold out or miss mandatory time. He's been very mature and hard working to this point and this stinks as somebody leaking **** information (Trib most likely or an agent). He and Rosenhaus know that he has zero leverage. They have nothing to gain and everything to lose by holding out right now. If he continues to dominate i would expect the Steelers to get him a new deal in 2016 though even with 2 years left.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I think I read that Antonio Brown missed the workouts earlier because he wanted to be there for his newborn?

I read that too, but I think that was a cover and a bit of damage control. It's obvious that he wants top 5 WR money, and he absolutely deserves it. However asking for a new deal with 3 years left out a bad taste in people's mouths. His current contract was very much so a risk on the Steelers part and more so a symbolic gesture that AB was our #1 guy going forward and not Wallace. Ultimately I think AB gets a nice extension after this season. Who knows, maybe they told him that if he had intentions of holding out that they'd consider moving him at the draft. The newborn thing was to protect AB's brand/likeability IMO.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Agreed, the Steelers took a big risk on him, so doing this with 3 years left is a bit...ehhhhhhhh.

After this year? Absolutely, but with 3 years to go it comes off as very not Antonio Brown-like.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Agreed, the Steelers took a big risk on him, so doing this with 3 years left is a bit...ehhhhhhhh.

After this year? Absolutely, but with 3 years to go it comes off as very not Antonio Brown-like.

AB celebrates after nearly every play, the guy plays with a lot of heart and passion, but that is very Antonio Brown-like. With that being said, I do truly think he wants to be a Steeler for life, or at least in his prime. Don't get me wrong though, I love me some AB.

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Draft is getting close. I have a gut feeling the Steelers are going to take Wake Forest CB Kevin Johnson if he's still there but I'm usually wrong.

I wouldn't be stunned if they take a flyer on Randy Gregory or Marcus Peters if one of those guys slips and Johnson or whoever else they like is gone. Character issues are a concern but they are so desperate for talent at those two positions that they may have to take the chance. They've had both of those guys in for visits so they have expressed interest in them already despite the character concerns.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
If Gregory is going to be successful in the NFL Pittsburgh is a great landing spot for him. He gets an opportunity to make an impact right away, and he'd be going to an organization and coach that has a lot of prestige and don't put up with bull****. With that being said, I'd be fine with any of Johnson, Peters, or Gregory. As long as we're addressing a need on defense I'll be happy with our pick.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
As far as the first round I'd be happy with any of Peters, Jones, Waynes, Johnson, Gregory, Beasley (unlikely) Preston Smith on a trade back or L. Collins.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I don't trust Gregory in the least to stay clean. The red flags are there for everyone to see.

I trust Peters, another player with character issues, more than Gregory and he would be my choice if either are there. I feel Tomlin would be a good coach for him along with Lake.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The thing that worries me with Marcus Peters is that a lot of his issues in college were with his teammates and coaches. We've seen the Steelers forgive marijuana use from players like Adams and Bell but they haven't been as forgiving when you do things that piss off your teammates or coaches. Blount walking off the field is one example. I worry Peters will be a problem in the Steelers locker room and that they won't tolerate him very long but the talent he has at a position we need greatly is undeniable. They may have to roll the dice on him.

Speaking of marijuana, Shane Ray just got busted for it yesterday. He was already a possibility to slip in the draft due to a toe injury. You'd have to think there's a real chance he may still be available when our pick is up. Not sure the Steelers will take him but it's something to keep in mind.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
This draft has had an insane amount of drama already. There are 4 players (at the least) that could be giant steals in this draft because of character concerns, whichever team(s) gambles pay off will be really lucky.

Peters - Very likely the best corner in the draft but apparently doesn't play well with others (especially the coaching staff)
Gregory - Best pure pass rusher in the draft but has some MJ problems. Also might be too light for the NFL. This is especially true as a 3-4 OLB as he could be unable to set the edge against the run
Ray - Very productive in the SEC (but so was Jarvis Jones...) but gets busted for MJ 3 FREAKING DAYS BEFORE THE DRAFT! That's just plain dumb!
Green-Beckham - Possesses great physical gifts and could be a top 10 pick, but got kicked off of the team at Missouri

I'm not sure how I feel about these 4 guys. I think I want to take a chance on Peters the most because he could be a stud at a position where we have no talent right now. Plus I have a terrible feeling he'll get drafted by either Baltimore or New England and become an All-Pro there.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
The thing that worries me with Marcus Peters is that a lot of his issues in college were with his teammates and coaches. We've seen the Steelers forgive marijuana use from players like Adams and Bell but they haven't been as forgiving when you do things that piss off your teammates or coaches. Blount walking off the field is one example. I worry Peters will be a problem in the Steelers locker room and that they won't tolerate him very long but the talent he has at a position we need greatly is undeniable. They may have to roll the dice on him.

Speaking of marijuana, Shane Ray just got busted for it yesterday. He was already a possibility to slip in the draft due to a toe injury. You'd have to think there's a real chance he may still be available when our pick is up. Not sure the Steelers will take him but it's something to keep in mind.

That's actually a really good point on Peters.... Damn I can't remember a draft where I had no surefire guy I wanted the Steelers to pick in the first round like this. I guess my gut is telling me Kevin Johnson is my #1. Looks like he'll be a solid pro at the very least with the chance to be really good and no off the field issues (that we know of).

With the depth of talent at the end of the 1st round I would love to see us trade back 5-10 picks and get an extra pick in the mid rounds to be honest.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Dion Jordan suspended for the year for pot. Shane Ray and Randy Gregory might fall out of the 1st. Could definitely scare some teams away and rightfully so.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Who knows what the Steelers will do. The only thing we do know is that will follow their board and nothing else and won't care about the sexy or exciting pick. It would seem like the majority of players at positions of need that have the talent have some red flags to them. Whether it's pot, discipline or just inexperience there seems to be issues with some of the CB's and Edge guys that could be there at 22.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
With LSU tackle Collins now involved (even though not a suspect) in a murder investigation the rest of the players have to be praying their skeletons don't come out over the next couple of days.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'd avoid anyone with a failed drug test or runins with the law close to the draft. I had to take drug tests for my job and I always made sure I passed those tests. If you can't be motivated to quit, lay low, and/or are unwilling to cull the bad influence from your life in order to make something of yourself, then you don't deserve to be picked. We know half these guys chief, but that's not the point. The point is it's illegal and you are tasked with acting like a law abiding citizen and passing a piss test on occasion. You can't chill out three days before the draft? I hope you fall, fail, and then are put back on the street where you belong.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yeah I was thinking about that today. I mean, passing a drug test is not a tough task. They say it's a month to pass a drug test, but a lot of times it takes a lot less time to get clean. That speaks volumes on how little these guys care if they fail. All these guys have to do is stay clean/out of trouble for 4 months and they're in for a huge payday. In Gregory and Ray's cases it will cost them millions most likely. Hope it was worth it. Wouldn't avoid them outright, but if you can hold off on these types of guys and get them in the 2nd/3rd then I don't hate the picks from a pure upside perspective. Busts happen to the good guys too so nothing is guaranteed.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
My (pipe) dream draft for the Steelers.

Round 1 (22nd overall): Landon Collins, SS
Round 2 (56th overall): Eli Harold/Nate Orchard, OLB
Round 3 (87th overall): P.J. Williams, CB
*Round 4 (105th overall): Doran Grant, CB
Round 4 (121st overall): Markus Golden, OLB
Round 5 (160th overall): Tre McBride, WR

*I added the 105th pick in the 4th round as a trade with the Redskins, either trade Shamarko Thomas to the Redskins for the pick, or trade them our 2016 3rd (similar to what we did when we drafted Thomas). I know it may sound dumb to trade Thomas since we developed him behind Polamalu and Landon Collins could be a bust.

I didn't add our two 6ths or our 7th because I'm not familiar with anymore of the prospects in the later rounds.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
My (pipe) dream draft for the Steelers.

Round 1 (22nd overall): Landon Collins, SS
Round 2 (56th overall): Eli Harold/Nate Orchard, OLB
Round 3 (87th overall): P.J. Williams, CB
*Round 4 (105th overall): Doran Grant, CB
Round 4 (121st overall): Markus Golden, OLB
Round 5 (160th overall): Tre McBride, WR

*I added the 105th pick in the 4th round as a trade with the Redskins, either trade Shamarko Thomas to the Redskins for the pick, or trade them our 2016 3rd (similar to what we did when we drafted Thomas). I know it may sound dumb to trade Thomas since we developed him behind Polamalu and Landon Collins could be a bust.

I didn't add our two 6ths or our 7th because I'm not familiar with anymore of the prospects in the later rounds.

From everything I've read P.J. Williams is a likely 2nd round pick, especially with the DUI charges dismissed, but who knows what will really happen. I'd love to see the team do like you have here and go secondary in the 1st round and take a big OLB that can set the edge against the run in the 2nd. I don't know if Harold is that guy, but I like Orchard, Owamagbe Odighizuwa, and Hau’oli Kikaha.

Looking over the contact they've had with potential early round picks it's interesting that they've met at least 3 times with the following kids, I wonder if that makes them any more likely to be selected by us?

Cornerback
Charles Gaines – Louisville @ Combine, Pro Day & Dinner with Tomlin
Jalen Collins – LSU @ Combine, Pro Day & Diner with Tomlin
Kevin Johnson – Wake Forest @ Combine, Pro Day & Diner with Colbert, Visit*
Marcus Peters – Washington @ Combine, Pro Day, Visit

Linebacker
Alvin ‘Bud’ Dupree – Kentucky @ Combine, Pro Day & Dinner with Tomlin
Lorenzo Maudlin – Louisville @ Combine, Pro Day & Dinner with Tomlin
Shane Ray – Mizzou @ Combine, Pro Day & Dinner with Tomlin, Visit*

Tight End
Clive Walford – Miami @ Combine, Pro Day & Private Meeting

Running Back
Matt Jones – Florida @ Pro Day & Dinner with Colbert & Tomlin, Visit*

Wide Receiver
DeVante Parker – Louisville @ Pro Day & Dinner with Tomlin, Private Workout, Visit*

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Steelers schedule out:

Week 1 @ NE (Thursday)
Week 2 vs SF
Week 3 @ STL
Week 4 vs BAL (Thrusday)
Week 5 @ SD (Monday)
Week 6 vs ARZ
Week 7 @ KC
Week 8 vs CIN
Week 9 vs OAK
Week 10 vs CLE
Week 11 BYE
Week 12 @ SEA
Week 13 vs IND
Week 14 @ CIN
Week 15 vs DEN
Week 16 @ BAL
Week 17 @ CLE

That game against Arizona. How easy would it be to get tickets.

I'm thinking of coming over to see hockey in a Toronto and want to make a stop/see a game in Pittsburgh.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
whomever can figure out a way to differentiate betwen youthful indiscretions and patterns of abuse could probably retire at 40

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Ive got irrationally high expectations for whoever we draft in the first round.

I want a day 1 starter and I hope it's a corner

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Ive got irrationally high expectations for whoever we draft in the first round.

I want a day 1 starter and I hope it's a corner

With Butler the new DC I would like to him play the rookies more often than LeBeau if they show that they can handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad