Other Sports: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Better Than the Flyers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
And this is the point. The Sixers are in a position where they could be marginally better when the smoke clears than they were before today. None of the players they sent out are going to be especially missed (except PatBev and that's more emotional). They're not committed to any of these acquisitions long term and they will have lots of cap space to play with.

I've been plenty critical of Morey in the past but he clearly has a plan and is sticking to it. I'm certainly not going to criticize him for that.
So why bring in Hield? Why not trade those pieces for futures? There was obviously some value to their bench players. You can't have it both ways.

Sideways moves aren't a plan. Shuffling expiring contracts and trading 2nd rounders for 2nd rounders isn't some grand scheme. There's no one better than Morey at looking good while doing a terrible job. He fools so many people

They can afford a max + Hield (or replacement) + another piece if I did this right.

I don't expect him to actually hit the market, but it's always one Kawhi injury away until it's signed.

*Edit* Yeah. It's the only name that we know of that makes any sense.

Why does Paul George make sense with the emergence of 38 minute Maxey?

Also a max + Hield + another piece is great but that leaves an entire bench to fill

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
So why bring in Hield? Why not trade those pieces for futures? There was obviously some value to their bench players. You can't have it both ways.

Sideways moves aren't a plan. Shuffling expiring contracts and trading 2nd rounders for 2nd rounders isn't some grand scheme. There's no one better than Morey at looking good while doing a terrible job. He fools so many people

Why does Paul George make sense with the emergence of 38 minute Maxey?

Also a max + Hield + another piece is great but that leaves an entire bench to fill

Bring in Hield to help the team this year and since they have his Bird rights he would be easier to sign as a FA. If Embiid does get back this year and is in reasonable shape (big if but still) you might as wlll try to have a decent playoff run.

Paul George is (if healthy) an elite two way wing. Completely different player than Maxey. A Paul George type is probably the thing that the Sixers most need. That kind of player (and there aren't many) are invaluable.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
They don’t even prefer the same side of the floor. George is significantly better from 3 going to his left.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
M
A Morey special!! Letting a young promising bench piece go

Isiah Joe
Bassey
Springer

Consecutive years too if memory serves. He either cuts them for no reason or as part of some scheme to bring in a washed vet

When will you people learn that Morey is hot garbage?
Morey making Commie owner happy by getting under that luxury tax.
The process died the night they lost game 7 to the Hawks. The Heat and Celtics just crapped on the graves. Only fools would have believed in this organization.
This process was fatally wounded the December day that Harris hired Jerry Colangelo.

Reactions: Embiid

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Paul George is superstar glue. If you can't fit him into a contending roster, you're John Tortorella.

Bird rights? See if they look good with him? This and the Springer move don't square otherwise.
Look good with who?! The only guaranteed contract on the team is Embiid and he's out til April!!

This is what I'm saying. I'm not arguing with the idea of Hield. It's the process that gets me. Nothing makes sense.

As far as shoe horning in a decrepit Paul George, where does that leave Maxey? A slasher 2? I guess?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Look good with who?! The only guaranteed contract on the team is Embiid and he's out til April!!

This is what I'm saying. I'm not arguing with the idea of Hield. It's the process that gets me. Nothing makes sense.

As far as shoe horning in a decrepit Paul George, where does that leave Maxey? A slasher 2? I guess?

PG is a Wing. Maxey wouldn’t move.

• Wow
Reactions: DancingPanther

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Paul George is decrepit? He's averaging 22 per game playing alongside Kawhi and Harden. He's shooting 40% from 3. He's an excellent wing defender, he can guard the Tatum/Brown types. The Sixers have exactly nobody who can really do that now.

Reactions: Tripod

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Paul George is decrepit? He's averaging 22 per game playing alongside Kawhi and Harden. He's shooting 40% from 3. He's an excellent wing defender, he can guard the Tatum/Brown types. The Sixers have exactly nobody who can really do that now.
I meant decrepit in the injury sense. Him and Embiid? Better have every horseshoe in the world handy

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Is the funniest possible outcome that they finally get healthy and roll a rotation of Maxey-Melton-Harris-Batum-Embiid / Hield-Cov-Oubre-Reed-Lowry......only to fall out of play-in territory by then?

• Haha
Reactions: DancingPanther

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Status updates:

1. I am still anti Morey and fully expect the team to be wildly top heavy next season, which has been their undoing like 4 times now

2. I have been convinced to accept the possibility of Paul George

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
A mortal sin is always making a deal with the devil Celtics. Springer is limited now with the Sixers but on the Celtics it is almost guaranteed he'll develop into a very useful asset. Sixers are clearly going for broke before Embiid is totally broken. That is what is going on here with Morey's Fletch effect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese