The Penguins aren't going away anytime soon

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
the penguins arent winning cup any time soon . but they would win sooner if they traded away their big guns now and started a rebuild . its what so many good teams of the past should have did but held onto their stars just to throw away bunches of great futures they could have got for them . trading sid and malkin today would near completely restock them for a new contending team .

Even though they are older, any team with Sid and Geno has a chance. Thinking otherwise is silly.

The difference between now and 5 years ago is that now they both need a better supporting cast. They cant carry the team alone anymore.

If they can shore up the D a bit and stay out of the medical bay, they have as good a shot as any team.

Reactions: BehindEnemyLines514

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Even though they are older, any team with Sid and Geno has a chance. Thinking otherwise is silly.

The difference between now and 5 years ago is that now they both need a better supporting cast. They cant carry the team alone anymore.

If they can shore up the D a bit and stay out of the medical bay, they have as good a shot as any team.
your not grasping what im saying . yes theyve a long shot chance this season , but thats about it . but if they trade them now they get great returns that add up to being the foundation of a long term cup running roster . its happened time after time teams heldonto stars too long when they coulda done an instant rebuild

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
your not grasping what im saying . yes theyve a long shot chance this season , but thats about it . but if they trade them now they get great returns that add up to being the foundation of a long term cup running roster . its happened time after time teams heldonto stars too long when they coulda done an instant rebuild

Im grasping just fine. Its just wrong.

You dont rebuild when you have two players like Sid and Geno. It just wont happen.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Great. I don't think you realize that Crosby/Malkin aren't just stars. They're franchise icons and mean more to the city and team than could ever be described.

It's not happening

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm not surprised they got off to a hot start. It's an old team and they certainly didn't show up in the playoffs last year, so they had a long offseason to rest and refresh. It'll be interesting to see where they are 50-60 games in when the grind of a season start to take its toll.
The penguins are one of the younger teams in the league right now. After Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Hornqvist it's largely super young guys

Reactions: theicebox

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
the penguins arent winning cup any time soon . but they would win sooner if they traded away their big guns now and started a rebuild . its what so many good teams of the past should have did but held onto their stars just to throw away bunches of great futures they could have got for them . trading sid and malkin today would near completely restock them for a new contending team .

Yes cause first round picks and young prospects never flame out. People are too enamored by rebuilds. The penguins built a ship with geno, sid, and letang that took them to three cups and four finals. They will ride that ship into the sunset and go from there.

As a fan growing up with them it would hurt more to see them in another uniform than to watch the team suck for a bit in the aftermath.

How well did trading carter and richards work for the flyers. They haven't been back to the finals for 10 years. Maybe this year they make a run but still. Trading stars isnt some guaranteed success its just as likely malkin comes back and they go on a tear. Its stupid to move any of those players right now from a team and PR stand point.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Heard the same thing in 2015 honestly, then the pens won back to back cups. It would be downright stupid to tear it down now while Crosby is still playing at this level. Pens have reloaded their depth and have some new guys step up. There's no super team in the league right now, if things click the pens can win their 4th cup of the Crosby/Malkin era in the next couple years. When you're gifted the top 2 centers of their generation, you milk every last season out of it.

Reactions: NOLAPensFan

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I can't wait for the eventual Lemieux comeback number 3 after failing attendance figures due to the team finally being bad for a change. Mario will still light it up at 50.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Hope they don't "go away" tonight or tomorrow night--going to both games. Let's go PENS!

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
comparing them to the Patriots is absurd.the only team in any other sport that deserves that kind of recognition is the golden state warriors. I rest my case

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens had a crap year and still made the playoffs. Yes they were spent in the third year repeat and ran out of gas. GMJR has retooled the roster to younger faster guys and players who fit the system like Tanev. We will see what is what when Malkin, Rust, Bjugstad, Galchenyuk return. My guess is McCann plays tonight. Murray if healthy is still a top goalie. Letang, Dumo, Schultz healthy and some combo after Gudbranson or JJ are traded will be good enough.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Nobody was picking them to miss the playoffs, just not be the powerhouse they have been, but do you feel good to get that all off your chest?

A ton of people here were thumping their chests and screaming from the top of the mountain of how they weren’t going to make the playoffs.

Not saying they will or they won’t make it. Just pointing to the fact that there was certainly a large group that said they wouldn’t.

But on point, they were knocked because of everyone saying they were aging. With trades and free agency this offseason, the Penguins got very young outside of a few players. They have good speed and are getting production from the young guys. All the while Crosby/Guentzel are looking extremely good and dominant.

We will see what happens when those things aren’t carrying the team and others need to step up.

I want them to get every single point they can possibly get because they are so injured. Every point matters right now.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I do wonder what the Flyers would’ve done had they kept Carter and Richards.

Same Listening to Richards interview he really thought they were gona win it.
Thats a pretty good relatively young core still in 2011. It had some nice vets too. Giroux scored 93 the next year. They would have had amazing center depth. They added talbot and read that year too.

MIKE RICHARDS (25)
JEFF CARTER (25)
CLAUDE GIROUX (22)
JAMES VAN RIEMSDYK (21)
SCOTT HARTNELL (28)
Danny Briere (32)

Bob (21)

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
Crosby can always will a team to the playoffs. It's not something every good player can do

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
...The injuries will eventually catch up with them. How bad a toll it takes remains to be seen.

Newsflash, injuries already happened before 1st game was played, and they lost a bunch of players before game 2 of the season. Rust, Malkin, Bjugs, Galchenyuk, McCann. That is whole 2nd line gone, 3rd line center gone and player that plays on all 3 lines gone due to injuries. I am looking forward to these guys coming back, to see how team plays then. While never good to have this many players go down, at least they got to see what some other players have, guys like Lafferty for example. This could be 2017/18 all over again when injured players are back.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Newsflash, injuries already happened before 1st game was played, and they lost a bunch of players before game 2 of the season. Rust, Malkin, Bjugs, Galchenyuk, McCann. That is whole 2nd line gone, 3rd line center gone and player that plays on all 3 lines gone due to injuries. I am looking forward to these guys coming back, to see how team plays then. While never good to have this many players go down, at least they got to see what some other players have, guys like Lafferty for example. This could be 2017/18 all over again when injured players are back.

Newsflash .. you missed the point of that sentence.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I still think their blue line kinda sucks, but I've been saying that for years. Least they got rid of Maatta. Letang, Dumolin, and Schultz are going to have to be great.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I still think their blue line kinda sucks, but I've been saying that for years. Least they got rid of Maatta. Letang, Dumolin, and Schultz are going to have to be great.

Pettersson is up and coming. Probably their 3rd best defenseman. But yeah it will depend on their goaltending and defense.

Their offense will be near the top in the league just like it has been. It all depends on what the backend does.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't think their defense is bad anymore, the additions of Pettersson and Marino have dramatically improved their outlook on defense. They still have JJ playing regular minutes (who has actually played like an effective bottom pair DFD this year), but Dumoulin, Letang, Schultz, Pettersson and Marino are all good players. It's not a terrific defense by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think it's bad.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
comparing them to the Patriots is absurd.the only team in any other sport that deserves that kind of recognition is the golden state warriors. I rest my case

Idk, the Penguins have 5 cups in the last 30 years compared to 6 super bowls for the Patriots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad