The Out of Town Thread CXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
A part of me would love to see Stamkos as a Leaf next season, as it is my belief that it would harm the team's plans to rebuild properly.

Well how much more tanking would they have to do to rebuild properly considering that they'll have at worst 7 top 10 picks in their core:

Stamkos
JVR
Kadri
Reilly
Marner
Nylander
Top 5 Pick 2016

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
3 all stars might get you in the playoffs, but unless you have 4-5 other guys that can score PLUS a strong D you won't win much. Chicago won at least in part because Toews and kane were on 6.3 mil cap hits and will now be 10.5 mil each, so that's instantly 8.4 mil of cap space that disappeared. Pittsburgh has struggled to ice a good team with Malkin/Crosby making 20 mil AAV, especially with so so player development/drafting.

First off they make a combined 18.2m not 20, so it's a difference of 5.6m.

Chicago won because of their D, lack of D is the problem with Pittsburgh, after Letang they have no one. Remove Seabrook and Hjarlmarsson and replace them with forwards like Kunitz and Chicago doesn't win anything.

The reason Pittsburgh has struggled to ice a good team isn't that Crosby/Malkin make a ton of money it's that their support players like Kunitz make too much money and are all forwards. Pittsburgh should be able to put young cheap players next to Crosby/Malkin like Chicago did with Saad but because of their bad drafting/developing they've been forced to pay a premium to fill out their top six.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Well how much more tanking would they have to do to rebuild properly considering that they'll have at worst 7 top 10 picks in their core:

Stamkos
JVR
Kadri
Reilly
Marner
Nylander
Top 5 Pick 2016

Considering that Marner, Nylander, and the top five pick are all going to be still very young and inexperienced in 3 years, for example. What do they expect to achieve by then? Especially when they do not have quality defencemen besides Reilly and possibly, the top five pick?

Sure, they would have a good group of forwards, especially after signing Stamkos, but what is the point if that wouldn't make you a Stanley Cup Contender? If they sign Stamkos, then they were stupid to trade Kessel in the first place.

The Leafs already seemingly (on paper) a solid group of forwards in their future, they need to work on building talent on the back-end before signing a guy like Stamkos. They also need to trade Phaneuf before entertaining Stamkos, in my opinion.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Chicago won because of their D, lack of D is the problem with Pittsburgh, after Letang they have no one. Remove Seabrook and Hjarlmarsson and replace them with forwards like Kunitz and Chicago doesn't win anything.

The reason Pittsburgh has struggled to ice a good team isn't that Crosby/Malkin make a ton of money it's that their support players like Kunitz make too much money and are all forwards. Pittsburgh should be able to put young cheap players next to Crosby/Malkin like Chicago did with Saad but because of their bad drafting/developing they've been forced to pay a premium to fill out their top six.

Oh Oh :sarcasm: ;)

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Considering that Marner, Nylander, and the top five pick are all going to be still very young and inexperienced in 3 years, for example. What do they expect to achieve by then? Especially when they do not have quality defencemen besides Reilly and possibly, the top five pick?

Sure, they would have a good group of forwards, especially after signing Stamkos, but what is the point if that wouldn't make you a Stanley Cup Contender? If they sign Stamkos, then they were stupid to trade Kessel in the first place.

The Leafs already seemingly (on paper) a solid group of forwards in their future, they need to work on building talent on the back-end before signing a guy like Stamkos. They also need to trade Phaneuf before entertaining Stamkos, in my opinion.

Well if they sign Stamkos they have the trade return from Kessel and a better player. He's only 25 years old, by the time Stamkos hits 30 guys like Nylander/Marner/Rielly will be 23-25 years old. 2016 draft they can easily draft a stud defensemen like Chychrun in top 5. Suddenly they have 2 high upside D (Rielly/Chychrun). It'd not that hard to acquire a 2nd pairing D to compliment them. Who knows, Phaneuf might still be 2nd pairing level in 4-5 years as well. They've been tanking almost as long as the Oilers...only the difference is they didn't try to tank. :laugh:

Hopefully they trade for Stamkos...now that will kill their future. Signing him? I don't see how if they don't act like the Oilers and refuse to attempt to acquire quality defensemen. He's still so young...4 years away from Galchenyuk to put it in perspective.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

The worst part was Pittsburgh had a solid D prospect pool but the made a lot of stupid trades. Despres for Lovejoy comes to mind.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Everyone seems to be struggling in Tampa Bay. A lot of people thought Jon Cooper was the second coming of Bowman and such a better coach than Therrien. Must say it's quite satisfying to see TB failing so hard. It also makes it more difficult to evaluate the true worth of Stamkos since Cooper is so bad. What could he do with a good team with strong coaching and leadership ? There's also the matter of him playing wing or center, but I believe our coaching staff would know what's best and find a way to make him accept it.

We currently have from 10 to 14 millions in cap space for next year and no one super important to sign except Weise. It's possible to fit Stamkos by only removing one of DD, Eller or Emelin's cap hit. I think all 3 players are easily movable if we wanted to.

Patch (4,5M)-Galch (2,8M)-Stamkos (10M)
Hudon (625K)-Plekanec (6M)-Gally (3,75M)
DSP (900K)-DD (3,5M)-Weise (2,5M)
Byron (750K)-Mitchell (1,2M)-Ghetto (750K)
Flynn (950K)

Markov (5,75M)-Subban (9M)
Emelin (4,1M)-Petry (5,5M)
Beaulieu (1M)-Pateryn (800K)
Tinordi (800K)

Price (6,5M)
Condon (575K)

Buyout
PAP (1,33M)

Total : 73,5M

If we can land Stamkos as an UFA I'd definitely do everything possible to do it. Way better player than Kessel.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
people who want Stamkos really bad should go read the Stammergeddon threads in the tampa section first it's an interesting read from the fans who would know him best?

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/patrick-osullivan-nhl-abuse/

This is a must read. Not a "cool" read, but a must read nonetheless.

Thanks for read/sharing (Patrick O'Sullivan getting physically abused/punched by his dad).

Very very sad...extreme verbal abuse, extreme violent physical abuse. Minor, major, extreme...it's all sad.

Wondering...did Patrick O'Sullivan have brothers and sisters? It was just Patrick, his father and mother under the roof? (no one else?). Not even a family dog to defend little Patrick? Wish someone/something was there to protect little Patrick...not even his mother could protect little Patrick (but not trying to blame the mother since I don't want to judge...no one likes to be judged...and I don't know the whole story,etc).

Very sad story, but definitely a must read...

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
people who want Stamkos really bad should go read the Stammergeddon threads in the tampa section first it's an interesting read from the fans who would know him best?

There is a large group of people here that think Subban is overpaid and would be better off gone.

Grain of salt my friend.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

I agree that Chicago had better D, but they also had better quality depth than Pittsburgh does up front...more versatile guys...

1st cup...Sharp Hosse Brouwer Byfuglien Bolland Ladd Kopecky
2nd cup...Bickell Hossa Sharp Frolik Shaw Bolland Saad Handzus
3rd cup...Hossa Sharp Richards Vermette SAAd Shaw Teravainen Kruger

the part of that which makes no sense is from Stamkos' standpoint...he'll probably have 10-12 teams interested, why go to a team that needs another 2-3 years of rebuilding? Makes no sense when you're 26.

The worst part was Pittsburgh had a solid D prospect pool but the made a lot of stupid trades. Despres for Lovejoy comes to mind.

The Despres trade was horrible.

That's why I prefer not trading Beaulieu and Tinordi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad