The Out of Town Thread CXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Is rebuilding the only option for Philly and Pittsburgh?

Philadelphia was in a fairly unique situation with two top defensemen in the twilight of their careers.

Neither Philly nor Pittsburgh are in the same situation as Philadephia in 2011, as a one of the top teams in the league and a realistic cup contender but time limited by the two of their top players being in their later 30s. Currently both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have time to tinker around their core players to see if they can make a winner out of their current group. In 2011, Philadelphia had to either decide to go for it with their current group or give up on them and rebuild. Going halfway on it ended up sticking them in limbo they haven't been able to escape since.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Stamkos is a really tough one.

Obviously if hew is a UFA I hope the Habs go after him hard. Their cap situation is good enough that adding a 10-12 mil AAV player would not kill them.

I think he'll end up a place like Calgary St.Louis or NYR. Can't see him signing with Toronto, would be career suicide with them having 2-3 more years of rebuild.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Stamkos is a really tough one.

Obviously if hew is a UFA I hope the Habs go after him hard. Their cap situation is good enough that adding a 10-12 mil AAV player would not kill them.

I think he'll end up a place like Calgary St.Louis or NYR. Can't see him signing with Toronto, would be career suicide with them having 2-3 more years of rebuild.

How do we have room for someone like Stamkos? He's going to want a 7-year deal at that number and we'll be screwed in 2-3 years when we need to re-sign guys like Price, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Beaulieu and Eller.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
How do we have room for someone like Stamkos? He's going to want a 7-year deal at that number and we'll be screwed in 2-3 years when we need to re-sign guys like Price, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Beaulieu and Eller.

A guy like Eller you can replace with younger players. By the time Price and Pacioretty need new deals Markov Plekanec are gone or on their way out. If you keep churning out good young players you win with your core like Chicago.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Re-signing Eller probably shouldn't even be considered if you have the opportunity to sign Stamkos. You make the effort to move the replaceable parts and hope young players fill the gaps.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
You guys are really dreaming about a player that might not even exist anymore.

Huge gamble to go after guys like Stamkos or Crosby. Yes, these guys were good, but injuries happened. So you pay for what they did 3-4 years ago, with no guarantee that they'll be able to do it for the next 8 years.

I'd stay clear of that and I'm pretty sure Bergevin won't even bother making a realistic offer for Stamkos. He'll send a half-*** lowball offer and Stamkos will go elsewhere.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
You guys are really dreaming about a player that might not even exist anymore.

Huge gamble to go after guys like Stamkos or Crosby. Yes, these guys were good, but injuries happened. So you pay for what they did 3-4 years ago, with no guarantee that they'll be able to do it for the next 8 years.

I'd stay clear of that and I'm pretty sure Bergevin won't even bother making a realistic offer for Stamkos. He'll send a half-*** lowball offer and Stamkos will go elsewhere.

You sound like Stamkos is 30, he's 25 man, he'll be fine.

He scored 43 just last season...

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
You sound like Stamkos is 30, he's 25 man, he'll be fine.

He scored 43 just last season...

Goal scorers do peak very young. After that, it's a matter of seeing if the guy will enter a plateau (still below the peak), or if he will decline.

All I'm saying is that Stamkos is not a surefire 40-45 goals scorer starting next year. The best bet is that his production will go down to some extent.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Goal scorers do peak very young. After that, it's a matter of seeing if the guy will enter a plateau, or if he will decline.
All I'm saying is that Stamkos is not a surefire 40-45 goals scorer starting next year. The best bet is that his production will go down to some extent.

Goal Scorers, Homerun Hitters, and Goalies...
Flakes the lot of them. :laugh:
No stability, no continuity, can't trust a single one of them...

Stamkos may follow the Ovie example where finding fun in the game again can rekindle the touch.
There isn't a player I've seen who doesn't play lights out better when they are enjoying the game.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Maybe if Stamkos were put back into the center position, he would be rekindled. I think Cooper has outsmarted himself regarding Stamkos and the Tampa offense has taken a complete nosedive.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Maybe if Stamkos were put back into the center position, he would be rekindled. I think Cooper has outsmarted himself regarding Stamkos and the Tampa offense has taken a complete nosedive.

To think how long have we been salivating for a #1C just like him. :help:
And to your point cooper playing him on the friggin wing.
Johnson would be hearing it worse than DD ever did. :popcorn:

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
To think how long have we been salivating for a #1C just like him. :help:
And to your point cooper playing him on the friggin wing.
Johnson would be hearing it worse than DD ever did. :popcorn:

TB fans seem to generally agree with this, I cant tell I haven't watched TB much this year.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Just as it looked like it was done Kane buries ANOTHER EN to extend his streak.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
If he's a RW even better, Bergevin still hasn't been able to find one yet.

I've always seen Stamkos as a RW. I mean, he played center, but most of his goals were one timers from the dot. Kind of stuff you expect from a winger.

Stamkos is a great player, but let's not fool ourselves, he's got an elite one-timer and the rest is 'just' very good.

Not saying he's a bad player. But his one-timer is really what makes him.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I've always seen Stamkos as a RW. I mean, he played center, but most of his goals were one timers from the dot. Kind of stuff you expect from a winger.

Stamkos is a great player, but let's not fool ourselves, he's got an elite one-timer and the rest is 'just' very good.

His wrist shot is one of the best in the world, his slapper is ridiculous too, it's his shot as a whole. He can put a puck in a hole the size of a tennis ball anywhere in the net, it's absolutely not JUST his one timer that makes him.

His skating isnt "just" very good.

Last edited:

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
I hear that in Sunrise they no longer announce the attendance but name the spectators instead. Sad to see this franchise getting 86 millions from the County. Sheesh.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014

So was Brett Hull's or Robitaille's....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad