OT: The Other Sports Thread Part X

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I was in PA over Labor Day and they were having a bunch of festivals and fairs and on the news they were talking about people going to these events should be taking precautions and staying hydrated. They were talking about canceling outdoor after school activities, dismissing early.

It was in the upper 80's.

OK you overly arrogant SOBs, the human body gets used to a regional climate in 2 weeks. Upper 80's can kill me with MS. The max temp a human body can take before brain damage is 105F. Judging by your comments it's too late for you. To say you are pushing a button is an understatement.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
OK you overly arrogant SOBs, the human body gets used to a regional climate in 2 weeks. Upper 80's can kill me with MS. The max temp a human body can take before brain damage is 105F. Judging by your comments it's too late for you. To say you are pushing a button is an understatement.
Internally you are correct, but the human body can handle 100+ fairly easily as long as you are prepped for it. The body is designed to be able to keep you cooler than your environment or warmer depending on location.

Tbh most of what is getting people isn't just the temperature, it's that combined with humidity, which in the south east is insane. I mean we hit 100+ here a couple of weeks ago and it really wasn't that bad. The air was so dry it just felt hot, but you could at least breath. I'll take that over 92 and our normal humidity every day of the week.

You though are an outlier, we are talking about average people without some kind of condition.

Reactions: Adz

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
MTSU doesn’t seem particularly interested in having top tier athletics programs.

You need boosters for that, and MTSU alumni typically don't care about the athletics, they go for a lower cost degree but internally remain fans of other programs like Tennessee and Vanderbilt. It felt like 15-20 years ago there was a stronger push for it, but things cooled off because it wasn't sustainable without massive success on the fields/courts.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Holy crap Tanehill currently with a 19.6 QB rating. That's the worst I've ever seen

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
You need boosters for that, and MTSU alumni typically don't care about the athletics, they go for a lower cost degree but internally remain fans of other programs like Tennessee and Vanderbilt. It felt like 15-20 years ago there was a stronger push for it, but things cooled off because it wasn't sustainable without massive success on the fields/courts.
A university doesn’t really need boosters to get a better coach. Stock still is average and they have kept him for 17 years. The girls soccer coach has been there almost 20 years and he isn’t great either. They give off the perception that they aren’t really interested in HC searches so they just keep what they have. A college like MTSU is a great place for an up and coming HC to make his name they just won’t invest time and resources to find one.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
What the hell? :whaaa?:

You know damn well that I wasn't talking about or making fun of you or anyone with any type of underlying medical condition.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN

I've never really been able to get into the MTSU games at all. I really tried when I was a freshman back when Boots was still the coach but the fandom just wasn't there. Still enjoy tailgating for the home games though.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I've never really been able to get into the MTSU games at all. I really tried when I was a freshman back when Boots was still the coach but the fandom just wasn't there. Still enjoy tailgating for the home games though.
Trust me I get it, I was in the Band of Blue for 2 years so I had to go. They are never going to be what Tennessee is, but part of that also is because they have just been mediocre for so long. They aren't bad, but they aren't really a team to get excited about either.

It was a little better for us back in the day cause they were still in Division II and they always seemed to make noise in the playoffs. You had some rivalries there in Austin Peay, TSU, and Tennessee Tech that were all close by. Today? Do they even have a rival anymore? Just feels like a collection of teams from across the country that have no real ties at all.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Trust me I get it, I was in the Band of Blue for 2 years so I had to go. They are never going to be what Tennessee is, but part of that also is because they have just been mediocre for so long. They aren't bad, but they aren't really a team to get excited about either.

It was a little better for us back in the day cause they were still in Division II and they always seemed to make noise in the playoffs. You had some rivalries there in Austin Peay, TSU, and Tennessee Tech that were all close by. Today? Do they even have a rival anymore? Just feels like a collection of teams from across the country that have no real ties at all.

It was gaining some steam for a bit there like 03-10 or so in the Sunbelt Conference. Some really great crowds, rivalries with like North Texas and then especially with Troy and WKU. Always some exciting games with Vanderbilt, Maryland, Virginia types. But with the shifting conference landscape they had a chance to move "up" to CUSA and it was like starting all over again. Not only that but CUSA is nothing like it was in the 90s when it gained a lot of popularity, all the decent teams also got promoted to better conferences.

Now teams are even leaving CUSA for the Sun Belt and it looks like it was a mistake to move in the first place. Looking at the 2023 conference alignment doesn't generate any excitement...

Florida International
Jacksonville State
Liberty
Louisiana Tech
New Mexico State
Sam Houston
UTEP
Western Kentucky

Sure you got Western there and I think LA-Tech and UTEP are at least names that most casual fans recognize. But it's a far cry from the days when they had Cincinnati, Louisville, Marshall, Memphis, Old Dominion, Rice, TCU, Tulane. It's a dying conference and MTSU still has 10 seasons (including 2023) on their contract, there might be something better on the other side but right now it's pretty bleak.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It was gaining some steam for a bit there like 03-10 or so in the Sunbelt Conference. Some really great crowds, rivalries with like North Texas and then especially with Troy and WKU. Always some exciting games with Vanderbilt, Maryland, Virginia types. But with the shifting conference landscape they had a chance to move "up" to CUSA and it was like starting all over again. Not only that but CUSA is nothing like it was in the 90s when it gained a lot of popularity, all the decent teams also got promoted to better conferences.

Now teams are even leaving CUSA for the Sun Belt and it looks like it was a mistake to move in the first place. Looking at the 2023 conference alignment doesn't generate any excitement...

Florida International
Jacksonville State
Liberty
Louisiana Tech
New Mexico State
Sam Houston
UTEP
Western Kentucky

Sure you got Western there and I think LA-Tech and UTEP are at least names that most casual fans recognize. But it's a far cry from the days when they had Cincinnati, Louisville, Marshall, Memphis, Old Dominion, Rice, TCU, Tulane. It's a dying conference and MTSU still has 10 seasons (including 2023) on their contract, there might be something better on the other side but right now it's pretty bleak.
Yeah the move to C-USA was good at the time but it's looking like a stinker now. Frankly C-USA and Sunbelt should just join together and make one big conference. At least it would be the most powerful outside of the power 5.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
When I was in Canada in 2003 with my son it was cold. It was high 40's in July. So we're freezing, wearing our jerseys and carrying a blanket. The good Albertans laughed and said you don't know cold. True, but then they said "it's HOT" our reply was "you don't know hot" And in both cases we were right. So yeah, it's all relative but people who are used to what temperatures usually are in an area have differing opinions of what is too hot or too cold at that time. And in January, when you start scoffing at our 10 degree wind chill being less than shocking, remember this conversation. You can be assured that WE will, heh. ;-)

Reactions: hockey diva

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
One of the reasons I have always feared making a huge trade for a big name player to pin our hopes on just happened last night. Aaron Rodgers is likely done for the year and maybe for good.

Jets fans got one series out of him.

I've enever liked the Jets but holy crap is that brutal.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
One of the reasons I have always feared making a huge trade for a big name player to pin our hopes on just happened last night. Aaron Rodgers is likely done for the year and maybe for good.

Jets fans got one series out of him.

I've enever liked the Jets but holy crap is that brutal.

Almost feel bad for them and him. Spent all summer listening to people talk crap, finally get a chance to prove them wrong and then that happens.

Not only did they make a big trade and pay him a lot of money they also let him talk them into paying way over market for Dalvin Cook.

The insane thing is they still won that game because the defense is apparently legit. After seeing the d performance last night, I think you would have to put them in the top 3 or 4 SB contenders with AR.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Worked for the Jets though, at least at the end of the game. They had no offense for much of the game but got it when it really mattered. Helped a lot that Allen did his best Tannehill impression.

At least Tanne can say he plays behind the worst o line in the league (per PFF and the eye test).

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Looks that way. Hopefully they just need more time to gel, doubtful but optimistic.

Well they were the worst last season too. I'm sure they will improve but so will everyone else.

The real problem for the Titans is that it looks like the Jags might finally be good enough to win the AFC South (not that difficult) and everyone else is playing catch up. We're probably in for yet another few (or several?) years of being terrible as we yet again get to head back to the QB lottery draw. People have been born, raised, gone through college, and had kids of their own since we last drafted a QB that was above average. Not holding my breath that we ever hit the lotto.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
When I was in Canada in 2003 with my son it was cold. It was high 40's in July. So we're freezing, wearing our jerseys and carrying a blanket. The good Albertans laughed and said you don't know cold. True, but then they said "it's HOT" our reply was "you don't know hot" And in both cases we were right. So yeah, it's all relative but people who are used to what temperatures usually are in an area have differing opinions of what is too hot or too cold at that time. And in January, when you start scoffing at our 10 degree wind chill being less than shocking, remember this conversation. You can be assured that WE will, heh. ;-)

I will, and pictures of the thermostat and 6-8 feet of snow will come.

Reactions: Adz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I will, and pictures of the thermostat and 6-8 feet of snow will come.
Exactly.
What you're used to is typically much worse. We laugh at the reactions of those suffering from 85 degree heat and 70% humidity because that is a good summer day for us.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Exactly.
What you're used to is typically much worse. We laugh at the reactions of those suffering from 85 degree heat and 70% humidity because that is a good summer day for us.
And that is a very hot day for me. add 15F to any temp and that's how my body reacts. No more Nashville for me. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad