OT: The Original OT Thread - Chit chat, Raiders, Rebels, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZINFINITY16

Dec 29, 2013
Ontario
Just recently started a Vegas blog, would love for anyone to check it out if you guys have the time. Hoping to write like 5 posts by the time the nights over lol https://fansoftheroundtable.wordpre...-breaking-down-the-bad-vegas-minnesota-trade/

Also, anyone know any twitter accounts that aregolden knights only accounts? Started a twitter account for the blog and want people to continously discuss with. Mines @VegasFansofTRT

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Hey all!

I am wondering about how a new franchise gets their fanbase, specifically this new team. I could not imagine ever changing team loyalty (grew up in NJ but my family supported only NY teams, and I recently moved to Dallas), so I am curious are there just tons of hockey fans in Vegas who never had "their" team, disgruntled fans from other teams, etc?

I guess overall I am wondering how did you come to support the new team? I am so used to hearing about teams moving from one city to another and changing names but obviously this is not the case here.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Hey all!

I am wondering about how a new franchise gets their fanbase, specifically this new team. I could not imagine ever changing team loyalty (grew up in NJ but my family supported only NY teams, and I recently moved to Dallas), so I am curious are there just tons of hockey fans in Vegas who never had "their" team, disgruntled fans from other teams, etc?

I guess overall I am wondering how did you come to support the new team? I am so used to hearing about teams moving from one city to another and changing names but obviously this is not the case here.

I'd say it's more like the moving to a new city thing than anything else.

People in Las Vegas almost all come from somewhere else. A good portion of us have kept our previous allegiances not only because that's what fans do, but because there wasn't really an option to do anything else.

I'm from Chicago, I'm not going to turn in the Hawks stuff because I live within 300 miles of Los Angeles. However, I've been in Las Vegas for twenty years now and I consider it my home. I've also spent 15+ years trying to convince anyone that would listen that an NHL team would do well in Las Vegas. I've acquired a lot of data that suggests that's true, from the number of hockey fans in town to NHL TV ratings in Las Vegas. It's going to work. I'm going to support it as much as I can to make sure it does.

When it comes to the Raiders, that's a whole different story. I don't like Raiders fans as they exist in LA and Oakland now and I've never been a fan of the team and the way they do things. However, I'll enjoy the Raiders as my second team because they play in the AFC and the Bears play in the NFC and because Las Vegas is my home. They'll be more of a second team versus a 1a/1b situation like the Knights/Hawks respectively.

For me, it comes down to city pride. I like Las Vegas, I'll 100% support pro teams in Las Vegas.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I'd say it's more like the moving to a new city thing than anything else.

People in Las Vegas almost all come from somewhere else. A good portion of us have kept our previous allegiances not only because that's what fans do, but because there wasn't really an option to do anything else.

I'm from Chicago, I'm not going to turn in the Hawks stuff because I live within 300 miles of Los Angeles. However, I've been in Las Vegas for twenty years now and I consider it my home. I've also spent 15+ years trying to convince anyone that would listen that an NHL team would do well in Las Vegas. I've acquired a lot of data that suggests that's true, from the number of hockey fans in town to NHL TV ratings in Las Vegas. It's going to work. I'm going to support it as much as I can to make sure it does.

When it comes to the Raiders, that's a whole different story. I don't like Raiders fans as they exist in LA and Oakland now and I've never been a fan of the team and the way they do things. However, I'll enjoy the Raiders as my second team because they play in the AFC and the Bears play in the NFC and because Las Vegas is my home. They'll be more of a second team versus a 1a/1b situation like the Knights/Hawks respectively.

For me, it comes down to city pride. I like Las Vegas, I'll 100% support pro teams in Las Vegas.

Thanks, makes a lot of sense!

I do not have a favorite west conf team, so it might not hurt following the VGK since I like the city and all... though now I live really close to the Stars' executive offices. :laugh:

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
I know lots of friends that were either not big on hockey but followed a little due to sports betting and also ones that never watched a hockey game in their life that all bought season tickets. Then you have the rest of us that are fans of other teams that now have a local team to root for.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Found out something new today. Overton beach on Lake Mead (the only other beach that the crappy Boulder Beach) has been closed for 7 years lol.

I just unfortunately found that out after an hour and a half drive out there.

Also, Lake Mead just blows. Ive never seen a body of water be as damn hot as the outside air temperature!

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Ugh, know what you mean.

Been many years, but I remember getting all amped for a refreshing swim at a beach in the Florida Keys.

Except.

Like bath water. Warm.

And tons of seaweed.

I think at Lake Mead you have to get out in a boat to deeper water for cooler water?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The center ice logo looks wonky. That's what I was afraid of when they revealed it. All the interesting parts of the logo are in the middle, right where the red line cuts through.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

Yeah, that sux. Why not discontinue the red line through the logo like other teams have done over the years? It's not like center ice matters anymore for two lines passes. The only important part is the face off dot.

Sometimes the most obvious decisions can be completely oblivious to these teams & their marketing departments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad