The Optimism Thread: No, no, really... pick something to be optimistic about the Sabres

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
When the defense regularly can't pass successfully to anyone, it inhibits the whole team's ability to move up the ice for their eventual low value shot and resulting counter.

For the 10th time, I understand this. I'm pointing out I've seen major improvement this season on the back-end, but haven't seen any on the front-end.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
There was almost no issue with zone transition vs Montreal or Florida. In fact, some of the best o-zone entries and chances were from defenseman themselves. It's entirely on the wings to get their act together.

Or have you not actually watched these games?
This is like arguing global warming isn't real because there's a cold day in august.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The team isn't being outplayed in most games, they're being outscored. Never mind not getting goals from defensemen we aren't getting goals from our forwards other than Kane and ROR.
They're not scoring because they're playing the lowest event hockey in the league.

As-such, I don't care that they're playing "even" games because Phil Housley is doing jack shit to make his own luck on the margins.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
They're not scoring because they're playing the lowest event hockey in the league.

As-such, I don't care that they're playing "even" games because Phil Housley is doing jack **** to make his own luck on the margins.

Agreed, and one of the most disappointing things for me about this season. I fully bought in on the "up tempo & aggressive" message they were selling in the preseason. At this point I'm just hoping that they've just temporarily reeled the players in due to the injuries and poor start.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Here's some optimism: we've never played our two best forwards together for any significant length of time, and have a bunch more of those stones to overturn whenever we get this coaching hire right.

Reactions: sabrebuild

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Der Jaeger is spot on in his assessment of issues with the defense dragging down our offensive production. Not having enough dmen that can move the puck via pass or skating at a NHL level is killing our ability to come out of our zone and quickly transition to the attack.

We have dmen that can play that way and a potential top 4 that might have success. But they haven't all been healthy and together at any point this season. Add to that their replacements either don't have that skill set (moving the puck out via pass or skating) or have it but at a tweener or AHL level.
Wholly agree with Der Jaeger, joshjull and Chain as to primary issue holding the Sabres back.

My positives:
1. Sabres would be worse off if Botterill hadn’t acquired so many d-men in the off-season, even if so many of them are one pairing or more in talent below where they are being asked to play currently.

2. Botterill is not hesitant about making changes, and there’s great hope / trust from me in a GM who traded #63 & #82 & a 3rd for #6 & #29 & a 4th.

3. I’ve seen Eichel backcheck. If I keep watching long enough, I know I’ll eventually see him tie up his man in the crease / low slot.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
1. Sabres would be worse off if Botterill hadn’t acquired so many d-men in the off-season, even if so many of them are one pairing or more in talent below where they are being asked to play currently.

Would we? Surely by now we would have been forced to call up our savior Guhle :sarcasm:

2. Botterill is not hesitant about making changes, and there’s great hope / trust from me in a GM who traded #63 & #82 & a 3rd for #6 & #29 & a 4th.

Thanks for the reminder, what a trade! If I had to pick one thing to be optimistic about, it would be this trade. A quick trip over to the Wild message boards will make you feel even better about it, they still can't stand anything about the trade.

3. I’ve seen Eichel backcheck. If I keep watching long enough, I know I’ll eventually see him tie up his man in the crease / low slot.

:biglaugh:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Wholly agree with Der Jaeger, joshjull and Chain as to primary issue holding the Sabres back.

My positives:

How do you know GM is not hesitant to make changes? I don’t really see that based on two extremely minor trades in the offseason.

If he waived Moulson, then you can say he’s not hesitant. I see a guy who only makes changes when the value is heavily weighted towards him (a la Darcy). Not much data either way to make a judgement in that regard though

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
overallPick-1-2017-11-15.png

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Most of the heavy digging there seems to be done by vets rather than young prospects, no? If true - that is not a great reason for optimism.

Creating a winning culture on the farm is a positive thing for our young guys to develop in. Its always going to include a lot of vets in that success, especially when there are a lot of call ups/injuries. That's just how it works. Guhle has been playing well and growing his game. Ullmark had a shut out last night. Fasching finally got going in the last week or so. CJ Smith has played well. All the other youngsters are either called up (Baptiste and until recently Bailey) or injured (Erod/Nylander). Its not like they are struggling. They're just not playing there right now.

Another thing to be optimistic about the Amerks situation is they've been pulling this off without some key players due to call ups or injury. (Erod, Nylander, Griffith, Bailey, Baptiste, Falk, Fedun, Tennyson, Redmond)

Reactions: Chainshot

RhinosLastFan

Nov 7, 2017
Most of the heavy digging there seems to be done by vets rather than young prospects, no? If true - that is not a great reason for optimism.

CJ Smith has 11pts in 14 games, Guhle has 9pts in 14 games and Baptiste had 5pts in 8 games before the call ups. I wouldn't say the youngin's are slacking other than Fasching. Bailey only got 3 games before his callup and Nylander hasn't played. I think Malone is the other "youngin" down there...I'm of the mind that if Smith, Guhle, Bailey, Baptiste and Nylander have decent years, we had a good year on the farm. Fasching and Malone are bottom6 forwards at best, so the impact of them not being successful is minimal.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nylander and ERod playing well in their season debuts. More positives.

Criscuolo, outside of that one bum pass back to the point, I thought looked like a workmanlike 4th liner last night. I'd like to see more.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I’m still optimistic about the future, even if it’s taking longer to get here than I anticipated.

Murray obviously made some poor trades and roster moves, so I am optimistic to see what shape the roster takes once Botterill has had some time to put his mark on the team.

Mittlestadt, Guhle, Nylander, and another likely top 5 pick are also reasons to think things could really turn around in the near future, even if the current season is abysmal.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Really isn't that bad overall. Have prospects learning to care in Rochester and a few players in Cinci trying to earn an AHL call up. Both teams have had good starts, winning reinforces effort. This could be the start of the culture change, next years rookies should be entering a better developmental atmosphere.

Sabres have not impressed much and it's often because of basics, lack of effort & mental lapses; bad choices. That's fine, Sabres are entering the reboot portion of Murray's cap; only 6 players signed until 19/20 (only 4 in 20/21). 8 UFA, 12 RFA this coming summer and very few distinguishing themselves.

Starting next season 50% of Okposo salary is in bonuses with a base of $3m.
ROR only gets $1m in salary with his bonuses front loaded, in 19/20 his bonus drops to $5m.
Jack has a gimmick in 20/21 ($7.5m bonus- $2.5m salary, no clause) & in 22/23 with a NMC.

There will be opportunity to move on if necessary, would also appear there will be opening for players that work hard to be brought in. Any trade will likely be with a playoff team, which should bring in a player with a different perspective. May not be late season call ups if the Amerks keep winning either, which will change the dynamic next camp.

This season is wheat & chaff now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad