The Optimism Thread: No, no, really... pick something to be optimistic about the Sabres

Discussion in 'Buffalo Sabres' started by Chainshot, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Icicle

Icicle PUCKGASM

For the 10th time, I understand this. I'm pointing out I've seen major improvement this season on the back-end, but haven't seen any on the front-end.

2. Sabretooth

Sabretooth Registered User Sponsor

This is like arguing global warming isn't real because there's a cold day in august.

Doug Prishpreed likes this.
  3. struckbyaparkedcar

struckbyaparkedcar Zemgus Da Gawd

They're not scoring because they're playing the lowest event hockey in the league.

As-such, I don't care that they're playing "even" games because Phil Housley is doing jack **** to make his own luck on the margins.

Aladyyn likes this.
  4. Fezzy126

Fezzy126 Registered User

Agreed, and one of the most disappointing things for me about this season. I fully bought in on the "up tempo & aggressive" message they were selling in the preseason. At this point I'm just hoping that they've just temporarily reeled the players in due to the injuries and poor start.

5. Aladyyn

Aladyyn sports are awful and bad

What message does it send to the players when they're just coached to not get blown out?

struckbyaparkedcar likes this.
  6. struckbyaparkedcar

struckbyaparkedcar Zemgus Da Gawd

Here's some optimism: we've never played our two best forwards together for any significant length of time, and have a bunch more of those stones to overturn whenever we get this coaching hire right.

sabrebuild likes this.
  7. brian_griffin

brian_griffin "Premiere Poster" ??

Hunter-Gatherer
    Wholly agree with Der Jaeger, joshjull and Chain as to primary issue holding the Sabres back.

My positives:
    1. Sabres would be worse off if Botterill hadn’t acquired so many d-men in the off-season, even if so many of them are one pairing or more in talent below where they are being asked to play currently.

2. Botterill is not hesitant about making changes, and there’s great hope / trust from me in a GM who traded #63 & #82 & a 3rd for #6 & #29 & a 4th.

3. I’ve seen Eichel backcheck. If I keep watching long enough, I know I’ll eventually see him tie up his man in the crease / low slot.

8. Fezzy126

Fezzy126 Registered User

Would we? Surely by now we would have been forced to call up our savior Guhle :sarcasm:

Thanks for the reminder, what a trade! If I had to pick one thing to be optimistic about, it would be this trade. A quick trip over to the Wild message boards will make you feel even better about it, they still can't stand anything about the trade.

:biglaugh:

9. Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed Registered User

How do you know GM is not hesitant to make changes? I don’t really see that based on two extremely minor trades in the offseason.

If he waived Moulson, then you can say he’s not hesitant. I see a guy who only makes changes when the value is heavily weighted towards him (a la Darcy). Not much data either way to make a judgement in that regard though

10. Aladyyn

Aladyyn sports are awful and bad

11. joshjull

joshjull Moderator

The Amerks are certainly something to be optimistic about right now.

12. Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance Make Hockey Fun Again

Arizona is our brother from another mother.

13. CacOBG

CacOBG In the bin for Dahlin

Most of the heavy digging there seems to be done by vets rather than young prospects, no? If true - that is not a great reason for optimism.

14. joshjull

joshjull Moderator

Creating a winning culture on the farm is a positive thing for our young guys to develop in. Its always going to include a lot of vets in that success, especially when there are a lot of call ups/injuries. That's just how it works. Guhle has been playing well and growing his game. Ullmark had a shut out last night. Fasching finally got going in the last week or so. CJ Smith has played well. All the other youngsters are either called up (Baptiste and until recently Bailey) or injured (Erod/Nylander). Its not like they are struggling. They're just not playing there right now.

Another thing to be optimistic about the Amerks situation is they've been pulling this off without some key players due to call ups or injury. (Erod, Nylander, Griffith, Bailey, Baptiste, Falk, Fedun, Tennyson, Redmond)

Chainshot likes this.
  15. RhinosLastFan

RhinosLastFan Registered User

CJ Smith has 11pts in 14 games, Guhle has 9pts in 14 games and Baptiste had 5pts in 8 games before the call ups. I wouldn't say the youngin's are slacking other than Fasching. Bailey only got 3 games before his callup and Nylander hasn't played. I think Malone is the other "youngin" down there...I'm of the mind that if Smith, Guhle, Bailey, Baptiste and Nylander have decent years, we had a good year on the farm. Fasching and Malone are bottom6 forwards at best, so the impact of them not being successful is minimal.

16. joshjull

joshjull Moderator

Lots of positive there. I think Nylander had a point as well.

17. Chainshot

Chainshot Give 'em Enough Rope Sponsor

Herding Cats
    Awards:
    Nylander and ERod playing well in their season debuts. More positives.

Criscuolo, outside of that one bum pass back to the point, I thought looked like a workmanlike 4th liner last night. I'd like to see more.

18. Sabresfansince1980

Sabresfansince1980 Registered User

Law enforcement
    I'm optimistic about a 5th OA pick in the draft...after finishing 2nd last to Arizona.

CacOBG likes this.
  19. MayDay

MayDay Registered User

I’m still optimistic about the future, even if it’s taking longer to get here than I anticipated.

Murray obviously made some poor trades and roster moves, so I am optimistic to see what shape the roster takes once Botterill has had some time to put his mark on the team.

Mittlestadt, Guhle, Nylander, and another likely top 5 pick are also reasons to think things could really turn around in the near future, even if the current season is abysmal.