The Optimism Thread: No, no, really... pick something to be optimistic about the Sabres

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I guess being excited about the 2018 draft is about it. NO ONE has lived up to the hype after we drafted them. McDavid and Michael as 1A and 1B-hah. Reinhart? Good player but no star. Risto-gone downhill from a great start--not a lot-but I no longer see him like I used to. Who has consistently put out? Kane. Not what I expected. Come to Buffalo these past few years and unlearn any offensive skills you ever had.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Seriously for a moment, Casey Mittelstadt as a prospect is both exciting and energetic, a real treat to watch. He has a ways to go to mature and develop his game, but down the road, he looks like he'll be a fun player to watch.

I'm optimistic Middlestadt will not sign with the Sabres, become a UFA, and sign with a team like the Penguins or Rangers.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'm optimistic Middlestadt will not sign with the Sabres, become a UFA, and sign with a team like the Penguins or Rangers.

Kids like Mittelstadt don't play 4 years of NCAA hockey. He's not going to delay making ELC $ until a time he could already be on his second contract, raking in millions/yr (assuming he makes himself even modestly useful as an NHL player). I get that pessimism is all the rage these days, but that's just plain crazy talk.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Defense has been decimated by injuries, but other than Beaulieu breaking a skate blade and Antipin giving lazy passes, they've improved greatly and don't look bad anymore. Only letting 1-2 goals in a game for the last 8 or 10 or so.

Bailey looked awful pre-season, but has looked good on his call-up.

ROR looked awful, but completely turned it around.

Eichel has showed us he can play defense.

Offense needs to step it up. At least Nylander and Mittlestadt should be coming up in the system to fill the vacuum of talent this team has.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I have faith in the new management and coach. Right now it seems bad, but long term I think we'll be prepared way better than we have been in the last 5-8 years.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Don Cherry he really like Josh Gorges and the Canadians should never have dealt him.

Oh wait, that not what you wanted

Zack “I swear I actually do play Hockey” Bogo still hasn’t played so there’s hope!

Wait, I can do better

Paul Hamilton said Kyle Okposo should have been named the team captain.

Ah crap! I have nothing

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I feel confident that Eichel will at least take us to a cup finals in his career here.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Not outside of camp/summer showcase. But that doesn't change my mind.

Sweet. So a short burst of camp post-draft year and the summer showcase are all you've got to go on.

I'll help you out. He's Marcus Johansson with more grit to his game. Johansson played with Kuznetsov last season. Davidsson is a winger/center hybrid who can play with Eichel, ROR, or Reinhart. He's playing in a men's league in the SHL and playing the same type of game Johansson plays. Add a little grit - think Hornqvist.

But label him a "at best" bottom 6 forward with no upside based on camp as an 18 year old.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Guhle progressing nicely.

Ror silencing critics of late.

Idk....bailey and baptiste found their way to the team like they should've anyways....

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Compher and Zadarov overall are looking pretty good for the Avs (aside from injuries). So it tells me Buffalo still has trading credibility when it comes to its prospects......

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I don't see any upside there. Drafting for at best bottom 6 player at 38 or whatever number we were on - no likey.

He's 18 and he's already in his second year of pro hockey, and if he becomes a reliable bottom-6 NHL player, it was a great draft pick. Finding useful NHL players in the NHL draft is roulette.

For comparison purposes, in the SHL, Davidsson had more points in his draft year than Johan Larsson had in his D+1 year. So...optimism!

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Sweet. So a short burst of camp post-draft year and the summer showcase are all you've got to go on.

I'll help you out. He's Marcus Johansson with more grit to his game. Johansson played with Kuznetsov last season. Davidsson is a winger/center hybrid who can play with Eichel, ROR, or Reinhart. He's playing in a men's league in the SHL and playing the same type of game Johansson plays. Add a little grit - think Hornqvist.

But label him a "at best" bottom 6 forward with no upside based on camp as an 18 year old.
Thanks for the info that I already knew. I still see him as a bottom 6 upside at NHL level player. You can hype yourself as much as you want to. When we coyld have possibly drafted some D with top4 upside that we badly need I still call that pick sketchy until proven otherwise.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Scandella has been pleasant to watch, especially comparatively.

If we are talking prospects, future, etc., obviously enticed by Mittelstadt at this moment...

Ummm.....let me get back to it by the end of Tuesday night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad