The Optimism Thread: No, no, really... pick something to be optimistic about the Sabres

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Thanks for the info that I already knew. I still see him as a bottom 6 upside at NHL level player. You can hype yourself as much as you want to. When we coyld have possibly drafted some D with top4 upside that we badly need I still call that pick sketchy until proven otherwise.

I’ll take this as your way of saying you don’t really know much about a prospect.

Who would you pick instead of Davidsson? Salo? Martin? Westerlund?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I don't have a problem with the Davidsson pick, the highlights i've seen posted on Twitter look promising. I wanted Cole Timmins in the 2nd but he went ahead of us, my next choice was Mismash because I'd seen him play and was impressed. He's off to a great start at North Dakota, 11 pts in 11 games. Nashville drafts well.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I don't have a problem with the Davidsson pick, the highlights i've seen posted on Twitter look promising. I wanted Cole Timmins in the 2nd but he went ahead of us, my next choice was Mismash because I'd seen him play and was impressed. He's off to a great start at North Dakota, 11 pts in 11 games. Nashville drafts well.
As in him tipping it for a few goals in front of the net. He looks speedy but we are talking SHL here, not NHL. I havent seen anything from highlights, showcase and cap to wow me to think he may be top 6 forward in this league. Id much rather we drafted D there and forwards with the later picks (Bryson and Laaksonen both seem strange choices).
I’ll take this as your way of saying you don’t really know much about a prospect.

Who would you pick instead of Davidsson? Salo? Martin? Westerlund?
Dont know enough about them to say but surely there was someone still in the second round with top4 upside if he works out. And we need high end D prospects much more than Forwards with questionable upside as we have many of these in the farm before drafting Davidsson.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Y'all over reacting. At worst, the roster is equal to the Rolston year (with the right age D I pined over finally replaced) and Jack is nearly a point per game without trying. There is a soft cap reset happening for the next few seasons; Gorges & Kane this year, Moulson next, Bogo after that. ROR deal was frontloaded, and he is nearly halfway thru his deal if he needs to be moved, no commitments to goalies, bunch of RFA's and guys getting time in Rochester & Cinci.

Players don't care, just start replacing them until they start caring. Contract situation makes every forward expendable besides Jack and there are enough prospects/picks to package on a bad contract like Okposo or Bogo. It's almost an enviable position to be seeking role players that can open up the ice and/or protect Jack & ROR, team already paid for the skill and simply needs to utilize it.

Is Housley the right guy? He doesn't need to be anymore, he's a place holder as Botts tries to cull the wheat from the chaff. Should be looking ahead to how Botts rebuilds around the core (Jack, ROR, Risto) and how quickly he proceeds.

This season is a wash, it's rare that a November basement team makes the playoffs so the thing to watch is how the players deal with it. Last season was similar injuries and it resulted in a mutiny, this season players are using self deprecating cliches to show they matured beyond that. Baby steps.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Dont know enough about them to say but surely there was someone still in the second round with top4 upside if he works out. And we need high end D prospects much more than Forwards with questionable upside as we have many of these in the farm before drafting Davidsson.

“I don’t know anything about any of these prospects. But we shouldn’t have drafted Davidsson.”

Reactions: russ4king

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
“I don’t know anything about any of these prospects. But we shouldn’t have drafted Davidsson.”
Precisely. You know something I don't? Unless someone watches juniors/SHL/AHL/NCAA on a night to night basis, I don't particularly care what you think as there is no way you know in detail all prospects out there. I know some people here do watch quite a bit of juniors. Are you one of them? How many full games of Davidsson have you seen from the SHL? How many games of the D taken after him in the 2nd round have you seen and paid particular attention to them? If you are going to make it sound like I'm plucking statements based on scouting reports, camp and highlights (which in fact I am, I have no problem admitting it) - explain how you know so much better than me and Davidsson is totally a great pick for us at 38 in this particular draft.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Precisely. You know something I don't? Unless someone watches juniors/SHL/AHL/NCAA on a night to night basis, I don't particularly care what you think as there is no way you know in detail all prospects out there. I know some people here do watch quite a bit of juniors. Are you one of them? How many full games of Davidsson have you seen from the SHL? How many games of the D taken after him in the 2nd round have you seen and paid particular attention to them? If you are going to make it sound like I'm plucking statements based on scouting reports, camp and highlights (which in fact I am, I have no problem admitting it) - explain how you know so much better than me and Davidsson is totally a great pick for us at 38 in this particular draft.

You can watch the SHL online in many ways - some of which we are not allowed to say on this forum. But you’re in the UK, so you should be able to watch better than I should due to a better time, right?

I watched Davidsson in about 20 games last year with Djurgardens. About five games this year.

Google “watch SHL hockey.” It’s pretty easy.

Westerlund plays for Frolunda. Same thing.

Robin Salo played for Sport in the Liiga. Same thing.

Martin is on the Big Ten network.

Look up last year’s draft. I wanted all three defenders. And I was a huge Davidsson fan. Never thought he’d make it out of the first round.

Just because you don’t watch hockey doesn't mean we don’t.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

“I pick my opinions out of thin air, and you should too!”

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Buffalo still has great wings!

Botterill if he sticks to his guns will build a playoff team in 2-4 years.

Cal Peterson...never mind. He is looking pretty good.

Let’s just hope Kane stays healthy until they move him. It would be so Buffalo for him to break his leg a week before the trade deadline.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
You can watch the SHL online in many ways - some of which we are not allowed to say on this forum. But you’re in the UK, so you should be able to watch better than I should due to a better time, right?

I watched Davidsson in about 20 games last year with Djurgardens. About five games this year.

Google “watch SHL hockey.” It’s pretty easy.

Westerlund plays for Frolunda. Same thing.

Robin Salo played for Sport in the Liiga. Same thing.

Martin is on the Big Ten network.

Look up last year’s draft. I wanted all three defenders. And I was a huge Davidsson fan. Never thought he’d make it out of the first round.

Just because you don’t watch hockey doesn't mean we don’t.
I know where to watch other leagues. However I watch other sports too ("Soccer", Tennis, UFC, Boxing) - I don't have time or frankly desire to watch other leagues outside of the NHL. Good - if you watch Liiga/SHL, then you know better than me. So why is Davidsson the right pick at 38 over the available D which we badly need in the system and did not draft anyone remotely exciting in the 3rd round (Bryson and Laaksonen are complete shot in the dark right now)? I am not even blaming it on Botts too much - as was mentioned this is probably mostly scouting team recommendations - but I'd expect a well aware GM to say "hey guys we don't seem to have good D either on the team or much in the system, let's use that early pick to secure the best available D in your ranking". That's why I said "sketchy".

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
I know where to watch other leagues. However I watch other sports too ("Soccer", Tennis, UFC, Boxing) - I don't have time or frankly desire to watch other leagues outside of the NHL. Good - if you watch Liiga/SHL, then you know better than me. So why is Davidsson the right pick at 38 over the available D which we badly need in the system and did not draft anyone remotely exciting in the 3rd round (Bryson and Laaksonen are complete shot in the dark right now)? I am not even blaming it on Botts too much - as was mentioned this is probably mostly scouting team recommendations - but I'd expect a well aware GM to say "hey guys we don't seem to have good D either on the team or much in the system, let's use that early pick to secure the best available D in your ranking". That's why I said "sketchy".

What if the best available D was ranked in the 50 or 60’s. You take the best player available every time. You don’t reach on a player just because you need a particular position. Most of these players are 4-5 years away from contributing, trying to plug holes with them is senseless.

Saying Davidsson is a bottom 6 or top 6 prospect is silly at this point. Wait until he comes over and plays a year in the AHL then make up your mind. But declaring it a success or failure this early is a waste of energy.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Go back and read the draft threads. You won't.

Davidsson was picked for the very same reason as Asplund: he fell out of the first round. He's a big, fast, well-rounded Swede forward who does everything well but nothing great. He's the Swedish stereotype. He plays Marcus Johansson's game with a little more grit, somewhat like Hornqvist. He's the exact type of winger you want on Eichel's wing: big, fast, skilled, plays defense, can take draws, and will willingly do the little things. He fell out of the first round because he's not flashy and doesn't have an elite skill.

Nearly all draft season, I advocated moving the 38th pick in a trade up because there was a huge black hole in talent available around that pick, in terms of players the Sabres needed vs. what was going to be available. Go look at the draft and name one player five before or five after the Sabres pick who could be useful in filling a need, and who was a better prospect than Davidsson. The only one was Timmins, who went 5 ahead of where Buffalo picked.

Salo, Westerlund, and Martin were all really good prospects who I wanted GMBOT to pick. But no one really had them going that high. Starting with Samberg, there was a run on D. Salo, Westerlund, and Martin all got picked higher than they should. I thought one or two would've been there for GMBOT at 54. That's how drafts go.

You pick BPA+need in the first round with a lot of consideration. In the second round, you pick BPA, especially if a player drops. Davidsson dropped. You pick the player who dropped over reaching in the second round and all subsequent rounds.

It's clear that you don't follow lower level hockey closely. Might want to stick with what you're actually watching...... before typing.

Clock

May 13, 2006
  • Speaking from a purely statistical perspective, it's unlikely that we'll be a shitty team for too much longer.
  • I've saved a lot of money this year on not buying Sabres stuff
  • I've been thinking a lot more about cord-cutting, and the team being such garbage is making that call a lot easier.

Reactions: Whammer

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
'Need' should only ever be a tiebreaker. It gets re-hashed so often, but teams who obviously pick majorly for need always get burned.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The new adidas jerseys weren't a turdburger, Middlestadt is a highlight machine, and the Amerks are in second place in their division.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Staying with the spirit and original intention of the thread ....

1. New jerseys without the pit stains.
2. Some of the prospects should turn out to be nice NHL contributors. It's not lost on me that the chance to even make it to the NHL let alone be a full time player on a team are not in their favor.
3. New GM. So glad he's not a knee-jerk reactionary.
4. New coach. For me it's too early to tell if he is or isn't the answer long term. (2+ years). Willing to be patient here. But overall i think, compared to Bylsma, it's an upgrade.
5. Owner with deep pockets and isn't a cheapskate.

Reactions: Kyndig

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Glad Murray picked BPA with Nylander. Glad he didn’t take Sergachev or McAvoy for need.

Our defense, since Tennyfire was been out, is missing its #1 and #3/4 and is only letting in 1-2 goals a night. McAvoy doesn't really improve that. Them being in the NHL a year or two earlier is a poor comparison. Our team can't score and total black hole of supporting talent on wing is a large part of that.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Our defense, since Tennyfire was been out, is missing its #1 and #3/4 and is only letting in 1-2 goals a night. McAvoy doesn't really improve that. Them being in the NHL a year or two earlier is a poor comparison. Our team can't score and total black hole of supporting talent on wing is a large part of that.

Scoring starts with transition hockey. Wings aren’t going to help with that.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Scoring starts with transition hockey. Wings aren’t going to help with that.
There was almost no issue with zone transition vs Montreal or Florida. In fact, some of the best o-zone entries and chances were from defenseman themselves. It's entirely on the wings to get their act together.

Or have you not actually watched these games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad