Speculation: The Offseason: II (All Offseason Wishlist/Strategy Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I get the feeling that if a defenseman is moved it will likely be CDH. One reason, he is still unsigned and it would be easier to replace a LHD from within than it would a RHD.

I agree with this. BTW, didn't CDH pair up with Tyson Barrie at the WC this year and didn't they play well together?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Is it really that hard though? Edmonton needs to take salary back in the Eberle deal (Kulemin), Hamonic dealt for Duchene, and then we put Grabovski on LTIR closer to the season.

It is not that much of a reach, it is not a reach at all IMO.

I am not saying it is impossible but there are two problems I see with that:

1) If Edmonton will do that why not just eat salary on Eberle and trade him someplace they don't need to take salary back from? Maybe even more specifically why not just keep Eberle when they don't gain any cap space? I missed it if you meant they (Oilers) take Grabo and park him off the cap. I know if we pay 6 million to Eberle this board will look like hate-central next year because he isn't remotely 6 million quality.

2) The CBA is not kind to a team that takes a revenue sharing check then proceeds to max out their salary while at the same time parking bad contracts off the cap. I recently found the section, I think article 47, and while there are no outlined penalties for this it is still frowned on and may prompt a penalty. Rev sharing recipients are not supposed to take their austerity payments and use them on cigarettes and alcohol, so to speak.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

1) If Edmonton will do that why not just eat salary on Eberle and trade him someplace they don't need to take salary back from? Maybe even more specifically why not just keep Eberle when they don't gain any cap space? I missed it if you meant they (Oilers) take Grabo and park him off the cap. I know if we pay 6 million to Eberle this board will look like hate-central next year because he isn't remotely 6 million quality.

2) The CBA is not kind to a team that takes a revenue sharing check then proceeds to max out their salary while at the same time parking bad contracts off the cap. I recently found the section, I think article 47, and while there are no outlined penalties for this it is still frowned on and may prompt a penalty. Rev sharing recipients are not supposed to take their austerity payments and use them on cigarettes and alcohol, so to speak.

The Oilers need to be free of Eberle's $6 million in the second year (not necessarily next season) to extend McDavid and Draistl. They could take back something like Kulemin+ this year then his contract expires and they are good to go.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
You are a troublemaker. I bet you sit outside Smoking-stoppers with cartons of free cigs. :laugh:

But seriously, if they can easily do that I will eat my shoes with French's mustard and I hate mustard.

And oh lordy*, why would we ever get rid of Hamonic's contract? That is the friendliest cap hit you will find this side of Mars.

* Hat tip Jimmy Jam Comey

I am not saying we should dump Hamonic's contract I just assume he would be traded(along with his caphit), same deal goes if we trade De HAan and/or Strome

IN the case of Kulemin, I think we can sort of throw his contract into a deal basically at neutral value(ie we won't get anything of value back but they will accept it just to make the deal).

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Hamonic + 1st for Duchene..... Then Strome + something for Eberle at 75%?

I would likey.

You have to think about expansion draft -

Are you protecting Eberle? If you are not, then Everle gets selected. If you are, then de Haan gets selected.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
You have to think about expansion draft -

Are you protecting Eberle? If you are not, then Everle gets selected. If you are, then de Haan gets selected.

You can always make the Eberle trade after the expansion draft

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

Definitely. Or you already have a side deal in place with Vegas to select a certain player. If you have trades for Duchene and Eberle lined up, Nelson becomes someone that can be sent to Vegas. And they might want him at $2.5 million versus Eberle at $6 million for two years anyway.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Wouldn't the Oilers want to deal him before the expansion draft? I haven't looked at their roster to see what their protection list might be, but if they want to move him for actual assets they'd probably want to before having to either take up a protected spot to keep him, or lose him for nothing in the ED.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Wouldn't the Oilers want to deal him before the expansion draft? I haven't looked at their roster to see what their protection list might be, but if they want to move him for actual assets they'd probably want to before having to either take up a protected spot to keep him, or lose him for nothing in the ED.

Just my 2 cents but the Oilers are probably going to lose Reinhart(Pouliot($$$$$) and Pitlick seem like the only other options). They are pretty safe upfront(even if they trade Eberle before the expansion draft it will be for another player who needs to be protected). In terms of their protection list they can't really trade for another D before the draft, but probably can take on an extra forward(instead of Letestu).

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-protected-list-projections-1.767856

Edmonton Oilers
Forwards – Jordan Eberle, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Milan Lucic (NMC), Patrick Maroon, Zack Kassian, Leon Draisaitl, Mark Letestu
Defence – Andrej Sekera (NMC), Oscar Klefbom, Adam Larsson
Goalie – Cam Talbot (NMC)

Last edited:

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Just my 2 cents but the Oilers are probably going to lose Reinhart(Pouliot($$$$$) and Pitlick seem like the only other options). They are pretty safe upfront(even if they trade Eberle before the expansion draft it will be for another player who needs to be protected). In terms of their protection list they can't really trade for another D before the draft, but probably can take on an extra forward(instead of Letestu).

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-protected-list-projections-1.767856

Edmonton Oilers
Forwards – Jordan Eberle, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Milan Lucic (NMC), Patrick Maroon, Zack Kassian, Leon Draisaitl, Mark Letestu
Defence – Andrej Sekera (NMC), Oscar Klefbom, Adam Larsson
Goalie – Cam Talbot (NMC)

I thought for sure they'd protect mcdavid. I guess he is going to Vegas!

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The thing is Edmonton is so desperate to get Eberle's contract off the books the year McDavid is due for a raise that I'd think they would absolutely take Grabovski or Kulemin, whom both only have one year left on their deal.

And taking this further, each of Duchene, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins, all on the trading block, possess heavy contracts that their teams not only can't wait to get rid of, but are coming off several seasons of not actually producing in the manner expected when they got those heavy contracts. It's hard to dish off such players, even if fans and bloggers will still look at them with starry eyes and visions of 'what if' grandeur.

I don't think there is any way we're making the NYI better in a deal where Kulemin goes in the other direction. In fact, I don't think Snow could get rid of him without doing another team a favor.

This said, why do we need to get rid of him? Sure, he's overpaid, but he has often been an important physical component who takes on a large range of responsibilities.

He and Grabovski are off the books next summer. Grabovski is being paid by insurance, but of course counts against the salary cap. Does it hurt to wait when there's no real market for Kulemin?

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

Don't we do that now?

SI

Feb 16, 2013

You can but you'd most likely lose your top trading asset in ED.

My opinion is the Isles must either upgrade or acquire assets that they can use to make deals after the Expansion Draft-

For example, using Nelson or de Haan to either acquire another bunch picks and prospects or move up in the draft or pool them together for an upgrade.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I thought for sure they'd protect mcdavid. I guess he is going to Vegas!

i've seen that he is exempt here... https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

not sure why, since he's played in two seasons, and has 127 games under his belt. maybe age?
too lazy to look it up.

This said, why do we need to get rid of him? Sure, he's overpaid, but he has often been an important physical component who takes on a large range of responsibilities.

He and Grabovski are off the books next summer. Grabovski is being paid by insurance, but of course counts against the salary cap. Does it hurt to wait when there's no real market for Kulemin?

agreed. Kool isn't a great value at $4 mil per, but he is very useful. if we can afford him for another year, i would like to keep him. guys with his size, speed and 2-way acumen are very valuable in the PO's. if we get there, i would rather go into the PO's with him, than Nelson, Strome, Prince, Quine, Beau and Barzal, if only because of his experience and size.

i don't see us paying somone to take him. Grabovski? for sure, but i think that putting him on LTIR is a viable option for us. i can see Snow maybe dealing guys that only have 1 year left, as in Bailey or Hickey, along with a pick, to keep guys like CDH, Nelson and Strome. e.g. give LV Hickey (who is less valuable than Kulemin, IMO) and a 2017 1st, for their Isles pick and a 2017 2nd.

there are so many options, it's mind boggling. but i love the strategy involved, and am having fun guessing what will happen

Last edited:

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013

If we are not allowed to buy booze and smokes with our welfare checks, why even have a welfare system!?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
James Neal might get exposed. I know sometimes he's a POS but he's a goal scorer. Isles should offer Vegas something to take him and work out a trade with us.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
James Neal might get exposed. I know sometimes he's a POS but he's a goal scorer. Isles should offer Vegas something to take him and work out a trade with us.

Other than 2012-13 he really isn't the best playoff performer... I do think he's got a lot left in the tank, but we have some older players already locked into bad contracts. How many more can we add?

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Other than 2012-13 he really isn't the best playoff performer... I do think he's got a lot left in the tank, but we have some older players already locked into bad contracts. How many more can we add?

Maybe we need to worry about getting back into the playoffs, before we worry about that?

Oshie was bad with the Blues, but was decent this year

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Maybe we need to worry about getting back into the playoffs, before we worry about that?

Oshie was bad with the Blues, but was decent this year

Lol what? So don't worry about getting complete players, just worry about making the playoffs, then when player X doesn't performe complain then?

I want players that will help make a run, not be a liability when it counts most. That's how you get one and dones in the post season.

But you are right just get there first...

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Don't we do that now?
We are close to the cap so yes on that count, but I don't think we are parking any contracts to exploit that financial loophole. It almost makes me wonder if that is part of the reason why we haven't put Grabovski out for good. Part of me also wonders if the league has given us flexibility since our club is in a bad state of flux with finding a home and needing to get fans to pay for tickets somehow. The spirit of the CBA section I reference is to encourage growth in every market so they can let the rules slide for now maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad