The Offseason Extravaganza: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Joe Thornton could be available in San Jose. They're looking to rebuild after missing the playoffs. Are not happy with their goalie situation. Could the wings send a few prospects, picks, or Howard and pieces for Big Joe?

Jimmy Howard and Antti Niemi are literally the same goalie. They're within like five GA over an identical amount of games (300+). Why would San Jose let the cheaper version go to get the more expensive one?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would not hate trading for a center, like some have mentioned with Staal and Thornton, BUT I would much rather focus on a trade to improve the defense.

That needs to be priority #1.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I would love Thornton. But we need goal scorers not set up guys...

i never like Thornton personality and I don't like him with the wings but I d love to have player like him . It was a big mistake not to keep Fillpula

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I would not hate trading for a center, like some have mentioned with Staal and Thornton, BUT I would much rather focus on a trade to improve the defense.

That needs to be priority #1.

I love Eric Staal, always have, but he's sort of regressed the last two seasons, and while he still leads the Hurricanes in points, for him, he's not producing the same way he used to. He draws easier, and easier competition, and just doesn't produce like he used to. I'm worried he's going to go the route of a Vinny Lecavalier or Stephen Weiss if he leaves Raleigh.(I was also a huge fan and proponent of signing Stephen Weiss and Vinny Lecavalier, so)

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Jimmy Howard and Antti Niemi are literally the same goalie. They're within like five GA over an identical amount of games (300+). Why would San Jose let the cheaper version go to get the more expensive one?

Because it's basically San Fran and they are used to overpaying for everything? :sarcasm:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I guess the Million Dollar question is how heavy do we bet on Kronwall, Zetterberg, and Datsyuk over the next 2/3 years?

I would say Larkin is untouchable, but if Malkin (O'Rieilly?) is being dangled there is a discussion to be had.

Mrazek is similarly protected. Vlasic, and OEL can drum up a conversation

Beyond those 5 guys, no one is really "untouchable." Is the timing right for Holland to shuffle Nyquist/Tatar/Helm, Jurco/Mantha/Pulkinnen, First/Ouellet/Marchenko/AA for Vatanen, Byfuglien, OEL/3rd overall, Edler/Hamhuis, Hamilton, Letang?

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
As Bettman has proclaimed Chicago a dynasty, I would like to express my congratulations to the Detroit Red Wings for their de facto dynasty for the 97/98/2002 seasons.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Here's my realistically attainable hope for this off-season and next season

Step #1: Prioritize Paul Martin in Free Agency: Offer him the best deal, and hope he chooses to come here

Step#2: Trade Quincey: After his solid season, try to trade him for the best mid-round pick you can get

15-16 Roster

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abby
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist
Jurco-Helm-Pulkkinen
Miller-Glenny-Ferraro

Kronwall-Martin
Dekeyser-Smith
Ouellet-Ericsson

Mrazek/Howard

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Here's my realistically attainable hope for this off-season and next season

Step #1: Prioritize Paul Martin in Free Agency: Offer him the best deal, and hope he chooses to come here

Step#2: Trade Quincey: After his solid season, try to trade him for the best mid-round pick you can get

15-16 Roster

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abby
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist
Jurco-Helm-Pulkkinen
Miller-Glenny-Ferraro

Kronwall-Martin
Dekeyser-Smith
Ouellet-Ericsson

Mrazek/Howard

Is that even realistic? For most GMs, I'd say yes, but this is Holland. He seems to have two modes: piddly depth/bargain trades and big target trades, which he has this far struck out on. Trading a roster player because he brought in *gasp* an outsider seems like a move that would make Holland's skin crawl.

Adding Martin and shipping Quincey is exactly the type of thing I'd love to see it happen, though. Replacing current players through free agency and then shipping off the overstock for an asset is exactly what Holland should've been doing all along.

I'm really, really hoping he's turned a corner.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Is that even realistic? For most GMs, I'd say yes, but this is Holland. He seems to have two modes: piddly depth/bargain trades and big target trades, which he has this far struck out on.

Adding Martin and shipping Quincey is exactly the type of thing I'd love to see it happen, though. Replacing current players through free agency and then shipping off the overstock for an asset is exactly what Holland should've been doing all along.

I'm really, really hoping he's turned a corner.

Well, it's more realistic than hoping he pulls off a big trade. At least in my opinion.

He showed last summer he can at least pony up and make the best offer to free agents. To an extent, that is what you can ask for from a GM. After that, it's kind of up to the player to factor in location, family, etc.

So while I agree, I don't have a ton of faith in Holland to execute this exact plan, I don't think it's far out there like trading for Eric Staal, or even Phaenuf. It's more possible than those scenarios, IMO.

I think Khan has said they won't be involved in free agency though :( So we are probably in for more of the same. Which is better than getting fleeced in a trade, at least.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I guess the Million Dollar question is how heavy do we bet on Kronwall, Zetterberg, and Datsyuk over the next 2/3 years?

I would say Larkin is untouchable, but if Malkin (O'Rieilly?) is being dangled there is a discussion to be had.

Mrazek is similarly protected. Vlasic, and OEL can drum up a conversation

Beyond those 5 guys, no one is really "untouchable." Is the timing right for Holland to shuffle Nyquist/Tatar/Helm, Jurco/Mantha/Pulkinnen, First/Ouellet/Marchenko/AA for Vatanen, Byfuglien, OEL/3rd overall, Edler/Hamhuis, Hamilton, Letang?

My answer is not very. The team leans on them so much just to make the playoffs that you can't count on them to be healthy or effective at the end of the season. Remember how slow and awful Z looked against Tampa (and the last quarter of the season)?

I want Holland to improve the defense via trades, but I don't want guys who will be gone or washed up before the next core really matures. I much prefer Vatanen or OEL to the others you mention.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
i'm starting to get more comfortable with any roster that doesn't include dion phaneuf.

I'm extremely confident in Holland's ability to build a roster that loses to the best teams in the league in 7 games of the 1st or 2nd round. He's mastered that over the last 6 years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm extremely confident in Holland's ability to build a roster that loses to the best teams in the league in 7 games of the 1st or 2nd round. He's mastered that over the last 6 years.

He's perfected making next years team just as good as last years team, but not any better or worse.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011

And when Datsyuk and Zetterberg slow down, we'll become like Calgary, permanently trapped in limbo between contending and drafting high. Perennial finishes 9th - 11th.

Go Holland.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
They need a top pairing defenseman in his 20's. I'd like to see what the 1st round pick, Mantha, Marchenko/Ouellet and Pulk could bring in. Sub in Nyquist for someone if it can bring in OEL.

I don't think there is a true top pairing defenseman on the FA market. Sekera and Green would be good on the second pairing. I'd be wary of how Martin or Beauchemin would age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad