The Offseason Extravaganza: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Staal surely isn't a #1 center if he is though, He will not be by the time Dats and Z are gone.

Are you aware we are talking about a guy who finished 4th, 10th, 3rd, 20th, and 33rd in scoring among centers since 2011? A guy who finished top 20 in scoring for Centers every year (except this) since his sophomore season in 2005/2006? He has been outside of the top 13 centers just 3 times since his sophomore season

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Are you aware we are talking about a guy who finished 4th, 10th, 3rd, 20th, and 33rd in scoring among centers since 2011? A guy who finished top 20 in scoring for Centers every year (except this) since his sophomore season in 2005/2006?

I heard he was inconsistent and bad in the dzone from Carolina fans, I never really watched Staal.

I have no faith in him to be a #1 center in 2 or 3 years. Especially since the assets we have to give up would be roster players or good young players which already kills the future for 1 player that we really dont need that much.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I heard he was inconsistent and bad in the dzone from Carolina fans, I never really watched Staal.

I have no faith in him to be a #1 center in 2 or 3 years. Especially since the assets we have to give up would be roster players or good young players which already kills the future for 1 player that we really dont need that much.

Fair concerns. But I think I addressed the consistency point with my last post. I also, feel he would look better defensively slotted as the 2C in Detroit rather than the 1C in Carolina.

The way I see it, is any guy who spends his entire career among the top 15 scoring centers in the game is close enough to a 1C for me. Factor in his size and durability and it seems like a no brainer to at least kick the tires.

Now some posters think we should spend our trading assets on a Dman. That too is fair. Regardless, if a guy like E. Staal is available we would be crazy to not involve ourselves in trade talks.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You'd hope it would lead to Larkin being a #1 center, but that's a long way away.

and a bit of a hail mary, regardless of how well he did at Michigan. If the general consensus is that Holland's striving for mediocrity, I think we can manage medioctrity with or without a real "bridge" to four years from now. I think our best bet at winning something significant is to get Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Kronwall what help we can, while we can.

We'll probably just plod along, though.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
and a bit of a hail mary, regardless of how well he did at Michigan. If the general consensus is that Holland's striving for mediocrity, I think we can manage medioctrity with or without a real "bridge" to four years from now. I think our best bet at winning something significant is to get Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Kronwall what help we can, while we can.

We'll probably just plod along, though.

I hate this consensus for the record.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Pulk, Jurco , 2015 or 2016 1st, and Sproul. I would rather trade that for a real number one defenseman like the HEDMAN! Tampa and Yzerman will never part with the HEDMONSTER though.

This is not the direction the team should be going if rebuilding on the fly though. Pulk and Jurco still have a lot of potential and are roster ready. Holland should not even think about trading firsts unless its someone like Tyler Myers coming back. An aging #1 center to pad the retirement of Dayts and Zetts would just be another sign of Playoffs but nothing else mentality. Besides last time Holland traded a first it was for Kyle Quincey. BTW how is that pick Vasalevski doing ;)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm all for a big shakeup trade, but this isn't the one.

The Wings need to make a move for an age 25ish player that hasn't quite turned the corner yet. Maybe he never does, thus the team would trade him. Think Derick Brassard when he was traded. Start collecting players in that range that you feel can add to your club.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
No.
No.
No no no no.

These are the guys you avoid in a cap world. You're going to be paying for what he did somewhere else.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I would be more interested in Thornton than Staal as he will most likely come at a cheaper price and has a smaller cap hit. I think our focus should be on improving our D but if we can nab JT for cheap our offense will be the best we have seen since 08-09.

Grech95

Jun 14, 2015
Joe Thornton

Joe Thornton could be available in San Jose. They're looking to rebuild after missing the playoffs. Are not happy with their goalie situation. Could the wings send a few prospects, picks, or Howard and pieces for Big Joe?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Joe Thornton could be available in San Jose. They're looking to rebuild after missing the playoffs. Are not happy with their goalie situation. Could the wings send a few prospects, picks, or Howard and pieces for Big Joe?

What do you think a 35 year old Joe Thornton would accomplish in Detroit? I'm not sure he's the type of player we're missing.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana

If we're trading Howard, prospect and pick to SJ, I'd rather have someone like Justin Braun or depending on how big the trade is Burns or Vlasic. Doubt SJ gets rid of inconsistent Niemi for inconsistent Howard. Then again, Niemi could just hate the situation in SJ and leave and they have no other option maybe

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Staal will sign somewhere for 7 to 7.5 Mil per year to a 3-5 year deal. 1-2 years into the deal he will be bought out.

I like the guy, think he is good. But agree he is paid too much, I'd prefer trading assets for more 2nd liners, and build a solid 4 line team.
Can't have a full team with overpaid players. And honestly, Staal makes slightly (1-2Mil) too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad