The Offseason Extravaganza: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Nope, not gonna get sucked in and start holding out hope on this one.
Glad I was wrong. This was a good decision.

Having said that, it remains to be seen whether this opportunity will be taken advantage of, or wasted. I don't see a significant free agent signing, but perhaps a trade. Time will tell.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
"On defense, I'm kicking some tires," Holland said. "We got some cap space, certainly. We're positioned to do something if we so choose."

On recent khan article lol

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
This team will never be anything more than a bubble play-off team with first round exit until Holland is gone because he is unwilling to move any of "his kids" in a trade of any magnitude to get necessary pieces. Teams better than Detroit are making big time moves, teams that have won since Detroit won are making big time additions - Detroit keeps scuffling along with the only goal is to sneak into the playoffs at any cost.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
This team will never be anything more than a bubble play-off team with first round exit until Holland is gone because he is unwilling to move any of "his kids" in a trade of any magnitude to get necessary pieces. Teams better than Detroit are making big time moves, teams that have won since Detroit won are making big time additions - Detroit keeps scuffling along with the only goal is to sneak into the playoffs at any cost.

Just out of curiosity, who do you think that was better than us last year has improved their team so far this off-season?

Tampa has not made any moves. Boston missed the play-offs and have gotten worse. MTL...nothing. The Rangers...I think they lost the Hagelin trade. Ottawa - they won the Lehner deal but got some futures and they were not better than us last year. Washington? Nothing thus far. The Islanders had a nice draft but they also were eliminated. I think Buffalo is the only team in our division that got "better" and they still don't have the roster we have.

As I said a few days ago, it isn't the worst thing in the world if we can't make an even hockey trade that we don't get murdered on. The Hamilton deal was a unicorn. Idiot GMs don't exist on every team. There is a reason there are always so few top-4 defensemen in the marketplace.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Just out of curiosity, who do you think that was better than us last year has improved their team so far this off-season?

Tampa has not made any moves. Boston missed the play-offs and have gotten worse. MTL...nothing. The Rangers...I think they lost the Hagelin trade. Ottawa - they won the Lehner deal but got some futures and they were not better than us last year. Washington? Nothing thus far. The Islanders had a nice draft but they also were eliminated. I think Buffalo is the only team in our division that got "better" and they still don't have the roster we have.

As I said a few days ago, it isn't the worst thing in the world if we can't make an even hockey trade that we don't get murdered on. The Hamilton deal was a unicorn. Idiot GMs don't exist on every team. There is a reason there are always so few top-4 defensemen in the marketplace.

The Wings now have a more injured Datsuyk and a less effective Zetterberg. They also have less center depth, and a defense that has two top 4 D-men surrounded by #6 d-men. They are demonstrably worse than last year.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The Wings now have a more injured Datsuyk and a less effective Zetterberg. They also have less center depth, and a defense that has two top 4 D-men surrounded by #6 d-men. They are demonstrably worse than last year.

As older players descend, younger players ascend. The sky isn't falling.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
As older players descend, younger players ascend. The sky isn't falling.

No one, currently ready for the NHL, will replace Z or D. The center depth is terrible right now, in the future it's not going to be bad, but right now they don't have it. This team is a Dats set-back away from going into the season without a top 6 center on the team.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Beauchemin hitting free agency? Holland will definitely be kicking those tires.

Not the youngish 40+ point monster we clamor for, but I like Beauchemin a lot, and would have a hard time complaining if we brought him on board for anything close to a reasonable deal. Have to think (hope?) it would spell a trade of Quincey, too. Or at least Kindl.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Not the youngish 40+ point monster we clamor for, but I like Beauchemin a lot, and would have a hard time complaining if we brought him on board for anything close to a reasonable deal. Have to think (hope?) it would spell a trade of Quincey, too. Or at least Kindl.

He's more a defensive guy is he not? I'd trust him with Kronwall more than I would Ericsson.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He's more a defensive guy is he not? I'd trust him with Kronwall more than I would Ericsson.

yeah, will give you 20-25 points, good defensively, not afraid to get in front of the puck, takes the body, and eats 20+ minutes a night. He's 34, though. It wouldn't be surprising if father time doesn't look kindly on him considering the wear and tear.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
No one, currently ready for the NHL, will replace Z or D. The center depth is terrible right now, in the future it's not going to be bad, but right now they don't have it. This team is a Dats set-back away from going into the season without a top 6 center on the team.

Datsyuk only plays 3/4 of a season nowadays and Zetterberg can't score goals despite leading the team in shots. Zetterberg, in fact, was quite terrible the second half of the season. They won't miss a beat when they're gone.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site

Datsyuk , Zetterberg , Sheahan, Helm , Glendening, Larkin, Andersson ( unfortunately)
Not to mention Blash loves AA.

Yes Pretty sure we are set at centre.... that's why the Weiss buyout , that's why the talk of putting Dats and Z back together. R

Right wing , well you might have been on to something there.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Datsyuk , Zetterberg , Sheahan, Helm , Glendening, Larkin, Andersson ( unfortunately)
Not to mention Blash loves AA.

Yes Pretty sure we are set at centre.... that's why the Weiss buyout , that's why the talk of putting Dats and Z back together. R

Right wing , well you might have been on to something there.

Larkin's chance of making the team is slim to none, AA isn't a center in the NHL and his chances of cracking the lineup out of camp is 0. Z isn't a center anymore, for all intents and purposes, making Sheahan the second line center. Not really awe inspiring, and much like the defense the depth focused in the bottom tier, and is without top end talent necessary to compete, let alone contend.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
I would sign Semin for 1 year. But where the heck would he fit? And then there is the possibility that Franzen return.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Larkin's chance of making the team is slim to none, AA isn't a center in the NHL and his chances of cracking the lineup out of camp is 0. Z isn't a center anymore, for all intents and purposes, making Sheahan the second line center. Not really awe inspiring, and much like the defense the depth focused in the bottom tier, and is without top end talent necessary to compete, let alone contend.

Zetterberg centered Gus and Abby at times in the playoffs just last year. .. your trying to make it sound like has no centre experience in the last 3 years.

Larkin is better than where Horvat was to start the season last year... and Horvat played a huge role at the nhl level.

Because you say AA is not a centre... does not make it so.... but again he sits about 8th on the depth chart at centre , so yeah hardly worth mentioning there for next year.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006

Datsyuk is still a ppg player when healthy. Zetterberg was 7th in the league in assists and led the team in points. Wings won't have less center depth until they're gone and we won't know if the team is worse than last year until the new season is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad