The Offseason Extravaganza: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
So does this make Weiss another failure for KH?

Yes yet another one. Guy never played his intended role and now sucks up 1.5 million in cap space over the next 6 seasons. I would mark that as a GM failure.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Hawks got rid of a younger and more talented player than Helm and Gator because he priced himself out of Chicago.

Meanwhile Detroit is making cap space for re signing players like Gator and Helm.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
“If we don’t do anything I’m satisfied heading into the season,†Wings general manager Ken Holland said during a phone interview. “We probably have interest on the market of guys that are shorter term rather than longer term, depending who they are.

Source

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I'm done. Everyone is a Red Wing for life.

To be fair, Sheahan, Mrazek, Dekeyser are all worth keeping. If Helm could stay healthy he would be worth 3 million per. Abdelkader will get way overpaid, but if he can consistently pot 20 a season I won't complain.

I have no trouble with intending to keep those listed players.

I do have a hard time believing we are going to buck the current NHL trend which is surrounding cheap, good RFAs (which we have) with more expensive veteran players to create a solid team.

We could easily add a top-six UFA and Green and be a cup contender next year. I have a really hard time believing we bought out Weiss to make room for those players since that would still put us waaay under the cap. Especially since Franzen is probably done.

Remember, Holland and Frazen can't really openly say he's done and then LTIR him into retirement. They have to play the game.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
To be fair, Sheahan, Mrazek, Dekeyser are all worth keeping. If Helm could stay healthy he would be worth 3 million per. Abdelkader will get way overpaid, but if he can consistently pot 20 a season I won't complain.

I have no trouble with intending to keep those listed players.

I do have a hard time believing we are going to buck the current NHL trend which is surrounding cheap, good RFAs (which we have) with more expensive veteran players to create a solid team.

We could easily add a top-six UFA and Green and be a cup contender next year. I have a really hard time believing we bought out Weiss to make room for those players since that would still put us waaay under the cap. Especially since Franzen is probably done.

Remember, Holland and Frazen can't really openly say he's done and then LTIR him into retirement. They have to play the game.

I agree that Sheahan, Mrazek, and DeKeyser are worth keeping. I just don't think Helm and Abdelkader are. They've played their best years here, time to move on before you're stuck with them and their declines.

As for the bolded, not only is it difficult to get both a top 6 forward and top pairing defenseman, but I don't think it puts Detroit in the contender category. Unless Detroit is getting the classic Zetterberg and Datsyuk back this coming season, they're just not there.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I feel that was directed at me...

That was directed at the constant discussion about a rumor that didn't exist. Not specifically towards anybody.

People were just assuming Holland was going to trade for him without any rumor or speculation from the media or a source in the NHL.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
What a trade by Chicago and CBJ. Wonder if we kicked the tires on that one.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I want to be able to have the flexibility that some of these kids can make our team or have an opportunity throughout the season to call them up if they’re playing well and we can wheel them up,” Holland said. “We’re going to explore free agency. It’s not a deep class. There’s lots of players there, but most of the players that are available we feel our young players can develop into that somewhat quickly.

Better late than never, I suppose.

http://www.dailytribune.com/sports/20150630/wings-lean-right-but-not-at-any-cost

Pretty good article, Holland talks about his philosophy for the off-season. Guess tomorrow will be more telling though.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Regardless of what happens tomorrow, this has been one of the most entertaining off seasons in recent memory in my opinion. Loving all this movement and mystery. And expansion talks.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/06/30/detroit-red-wings-brendan-smith/29527957/

Given that next year Marchenko and Ouellet, along with Ryan Sproul, will all be out of waiver exemptions, the Wings need to find out whether they are NHL-caliber defensemen. That renders it further unlikely they'll sign a blue liner when the UFA market opens Wednesday.

"I've talked to lots of teams," Holland said. "Would I like to get a right-shot D-man, yes. I haven't been able to find a fit. Let's go to camp with these guys and it can sort itself out."

OK, so why buy out Weiss then? I feel like HSJ is being fed some misinformation as a Ken Holland smoke screen. we shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad