The Official WTF is Pierre Dorion doing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I hope that we're concerned about cap space and signing someone new. And not just staying under the internal budget.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
So Dahlen for Burrows = great deal, hugs and high fives.

But 2nd rounder in 2020 for Methot = too rich for Dorion's blood?

Huh?

There has to be something behind the scenes here. It just doesn't make sense why we wouldn't match that. Especially with all this Phaneuf stuff going on.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
SPECULATION

I'm gonna assume Melynk told Dorrion he can't add Methot back unless he unloaded Phaneuf, thats why dorrion was trying to unload phaneuf and McPhee waited so long to move Methot.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I hope that we're concerned about cap space and signing someone new. And not just staying under the internal budget.

Signing a Smith/Kulikov to a short term deal and signing Kovalchuk. I also think Claesson is capable and ready for more minutes on top of being a regular.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Budget stuff doesn't make a lot of sense to me - Ottawa's preferred option was to have Phaneuf waive his NMC to preserve the top-4, so they must have had money for it.

Do you think Ottawa wouldn't have punted a draft pick 3 years down the road to keep Methot? Of course they would - it's illogical not to; we're about to go dumpster diving on July 1st to get a replacement who won't be as good. My prediction would be that Vegas didn't even give the Sens a chance to bring Methot back.

This is a garbage for us no matter what happened.

How would that make any sense?

What does Vegas gain by eliminating one of the main teams in what would create bidding to get a better return?

McPhee, if he was a competent GM, would have spoken to Dorian to tell him Dallas' offer, trying to maximise his asset by letting a team beat the current bid.

You don't stop an auction without seeing if there is going to be a higher bidder.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario

What does Vegas gain by eliminating one of the main teams in what would create bidding to get a better return?

McPhee, if he was a competent GM, would have spoken to Dorian to tell him Dallas' offer, trying to maximise his asset by letting a team beat the current bid.

You don't stop an auction without seeing if there is going to be a higher bidder.

Exactly.

I think the speculation is correct. Dorion was told you can keep Phaneuf or Methot.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Dorion made himself look good by getting a few good depth players during the season, but after all is said and done, we're left with no #2 dman, a rapidly declining 4th liner in Burrows for two more years at a high price(which we gave up one of our few quality F prospects for), and some kids who'll apparently need to fill in positions they aren't ready for.

Pierre better have a trick up his sleeve this offseason, otherwise I don't see how we can repeat the kind of success we had this year so far. He got lucky with Condon imo, but otherwise I don't see how those moves will keep paying off.

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
I find Dorion is his own biggest fan, trumpeting everything he does. I wonder how many players came up and hugged him after this, idiot...

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
tumblr_inline_nxcpo5GnvA1t9495x_500.gif

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Certainly a possibility.

If anyone is willing to claim that they lost money after 3 rounds of playoffs and a 17 million dollar expansion cheque it's Melnyk.

The team also has missed the playoffs twice in the last few years and hasn't had a lot of home gates the times they have made it. It's entirely possibly Melnyk looks at this run as averaging things out rather than giving the team surplus money to spend considering in the past he has claimed we need to make the playoffs to break even/profit.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Until I see what our roster looks like to start the season, I am very confused. Two things come to mind immediately:

1. Budget, Budget, budget. Losing Methot to expansion might have been Ottawa's way of letting go of Methot without engendering too much animosity for their internal budget.

2. McPhee didn't come back to Ottawa to see if they'd match because of the extortion draft shenanigans and the fact he was never able to match the return he initially sought from Ottawa in the trade market.

3. Ottawa's internal evaluation had Methot pegged below alternatives on the Free Agent market. (possible).

4. Ottawa just wanted to give Chabot (or other young players) ice-time and there was no other way to justify it to the fanbase.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Spite? Maybe McPhee was angry that Ottawa were one of the few teams that wouldn't accommodate his extortionary demands before the expansion draft. Embarrassment? Having to go back to Dorion hat-in-hand asking for so much less than you were demanding for him a week ago. There are lots of reasons why Ottawa could have been frozen out here.

I'd like to hear what Dorion has to say.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Spite? Maybe McPhee was angry that Ottawa were one of the few teams that wouldn't accommodate his extortionary demands before the expansion draft. Embarrassment? Having to go back to Dorion hat-in-hand asking for so much less than you were demanding for him a week ago. There are lots of reasons why Ottawa could have been frozen out here.

He'll probably say Melnyk gave him a hug.

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004

He will put a great spin on it.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

Dorrion won't address it, and none of the media has the balls to make him address it. Karlsson ain't getting a cup with this team I wish him the very best in 2 years.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
So Dahlen for Burrows = great deal, hugs and high fives.

But 2nd rounder in 2020 for Methot = too rich for Dorion's blood?

Huh?

There has to be something behind the scenes here. It just doesn't make sense why we wouldn't match that. Especially with all this Phaneuf stuff going on.

I'm pretty pissed right now. This organization has some explaining to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad