The Official WTF is Pierre Dorion doing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
We just lost our #2 Dman and were beat out by a 2nd rounder in 2020 and a goalie prospect picked in the 7th round.

Is Dorion completely incompetent as a general manager or just being handcuffed by our dirt cheap owner perhaps?

Regardless, I have little to no faith in him after this debacle. Bring on the lottery next year :laugh:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
And may be shopping Phaneuf. Its odd. Not sure if early stages of 4d chess or just incompetent.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
And the worst part is, we're clearly looking at the entire picture here. There's simply no way that there's information we are not currently privy to. Responding with anything less than unbridled, irrational anger and pessimism would be irresponsible.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I don't know what is going on. All i know is i am sad.

After a great season, this offseason is off to a bad start.

Losing Methot to Vegas for him to be sent to Vegas for a **** return.

Karlsson having surgery and possibly might miss the beginning of the season.

All these rumors of the Sens shopping Phaneuf.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Guy randomly tried to move Phaneuf out of nowhere despite having no replacement....

Does that not make sense now? Put two and two together.... #internalbudget

That or Dorion is a dingus but I will wait and see what happens. We'll probably have a rough idea when the season starts if we see where our salary level stands...

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Makes zero sense. It's as if they moved on from Methot, but I have no idea why. He's not overpaid, not a bad contract term, he compliments our best player, etc.

Zero sense. Dorion doesn't do value clearly. Trades Dahlen for Burrows, but can't take the value win in trading a 2nd rounder for Methot? Not a good start to a GM career.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Guy randomly tried to move Phaneuf out of nowhere despite having no replacement....

That or Dorion is a dingus but I will wait and see what happens. We'll probably have a rough idea when the season starts if we see where our salary level stands...

This is very true. Just saw your post in the other thread.

The budget is clearly the problem.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
This year's playoff run is gonna buy management a few years, even when they show this type of incompetence.

Last edited:

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
A lot of assumptions here.

I'm sure McPhee's asking price from Ottawa was a lot higher.
Look at what other teams gave too keep their own players. McPhee probably wanted Methot as a chip from the beginning and didn't realize he'd be in tough to get rid of him for a decent return.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Then Murray really didn't think things through trading for Phaneuf and giving Ryan a huge salary.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
As much as i hate Brennan hes probably the only Sens media guy with enough balls to ask Dorion how he didn't beat that offer. I hope someone asks the tough question

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Methot is overrated tbh. I don't really care that's he's gone but Dorion is a goof.

If he somehow trades Phaneuf for something of value he'll redeem himself.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Budget stuff doesn't make a lot of sense to me - Ottawa's preferred option was to have Phaneuf waive his NMC to preserve the top-4, so they must have had money for it.

Do you think Ottawa wouldn't have punted a draft pick 3 years down the road to keep Methot? Of course they would - it's illogical not to; we're about to go dumpster diving on July 1st to get a replacement who won't be as good. My prediction would be that Vegas didn't even give the Sens a chance to bring Methot back.

This is a garbage for us no matter what happened.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
As much as i hate Brennan hes probably the only Sens media guy with enough balls to ask Dorion how he didn't beat that offer. I hope someone asks the tough question

We already know the answer.

"We feel we have the guys that can step up".

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
McPhee had every GM by the balls before expansion. Look at what other teams had to give up to protect their players. It's already been stated he wanted a 2018 1st Rd pick to protect Methot. And as much as he was a fan favorite... I think he's easily replaceable internally or via UFA.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Then Murray really didn't think things through trading for Phaneuf and giving Ryan a huge salary.

Phaneuf trade was the lesser of two evils. We spent less money in the short term on a better player than the contracts we gave up which probably saved us from having to liquidate a player like Hoffman for futures. Greening+Michalek+Cowen was about 12M of salary, and given we wouldn't have shut Cowen down like TOR, if he protested a buyout it might have been successful.

Phaneuf trade was the product of 3 lesser bad contracts. I'm not really going to argue whether those were good or bad signings at the time, it's not really the point I was making in my other point especially since Dorion wasn't even A-GM when we made those signings.

The point is, not re-acquiring Methot may have been budget related. To an extent, that is out of Dorion's hands because outside of moving one of our more marketable players for futures (Hoffman, Stone, Turris, etc), it's not very easy to move cap. It seemed suspect last week that he randomly began shopping Phaneuf after suffering such a huge loss to our d-core, so if that was the first domino in an attempt to get Methot back at a lowered price, that would make sense.

As I said in my other post, if he could have had Methot back for what amounts to a 2020 2nd, and there wasn't anything stopping him like budget concerns...he's a dingus.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
We just lost our #2 Dman and were beat out by a 2nd rounder in 2020 and a goalie prospect picked in the 7th round.

Is Dorion completely incompetent as a general manager or just being handcuffed by our dirt cheap owner perhaps?

Regardless, I have little to no faith in him after this debacle. Bring on the lottery next year :laugh:

Well the richest teams in the league Toronto and New York have dome far less then Ottawa.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
The budget is the only thing that makes sense. Dorion was trying to move Phaneuf to make room for Methot, but nobody would pick him up.

The Phaneuf trade now looks extremely short-sighted. I guess we got a good playoff run out of it, but yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad