Rumor: The official Rumour thread PART I for 2016/2017 [do we want another PTO?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Would you-

Shattenkirk for #2 2nd's(if the Oilers had the picks.)

Understanding that he is UFA and is reported to want to play in the east.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Would you-

Shattenkirk for #2 2nd's(if the Oilers had the picks.)

Understanding that he is UFA and is reported to want to play in the east.

In an instant. But why would the Blues? Even if they were trading him purely as a rental at the deadline to some other team they'd get significantly more than 2 2nd rounders.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
In an instant. But why would the Blues? Even if they were trading him purely as a rental at the deadline to some other team they'd get significantly more than 2 2nd rounders.

No kidding. They'd rather keep him for a playoff run, even at the deadline if the best offer was two 2nds.

I'd do our next two 1st's plus a prospect like Reinhart for Burns, even though he is a UFA to be as well. Better chance of resigning him than Shattenkirk. Plus he would have to waive his NTC in the first place, which would signal he would stay.

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
You seem to be missing the part where Sekera has a NMC and specifically wanted it because moving was hard on his family every year. When you get a wife and kids that stability is a nice thing to have.

No source...but I saw Sekera his first day here and McDavid was mentioned. Why do you think top FA's signed here, especially after all the losing. Lucic has a McDavid t-shirt for F*&% sakes!

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
Not sure why anyone would want to trade Sekera. I think he's a damned good player.

Too much faith in prospects here. Always has been. I'll take the established vet that had many teams offering multi-million dollar contracts.

Trade and replace with Nurse? Reinhart? :laugh: Those guys need to be brought along slowly. SHOULD contribute regularly in 2 years, but I've seen promising players never really progress to their ceiling. I know all Oiler fans have so it's a head scratcher.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Too much faith in prospects here. Always has been. I'll take the established vet that had many teams offering multi-million dollar contracts.

Trade and replace with Nurse? Reinhart? :laugh: Those guys need to be brought along slowly. SHOULD contribute regularly in 2 years, but I've seen promising players never really progress to their ceiling. I know all Oiler fans have so it's a head scratcher.
Try replacing with Jacob Trouba...
Pretty sure that's where the convo is coming from .. No one wants to run Sekera out of town. . They want him to use him to land us a quality RD

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
No source...but I saw Sekera his first day here and McDavid was mentioned. Why do you think top FA's signed here, especially after all the losing. Lucic has a McDavid t-shirt for F*&% sakes!

Officially Sekera mentioned the mangementire at top as the main factor and then the direction they were taking the team.. you can search it up on oilers website. .

Unofficially it's the $$$ and the term.. only kidding yourself if you think otherwise... Chia outbid everyone to land Sekera

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
Try replacing with Jacob Trouba...
Pretty sure that's where the convo is coming from .. No one wants to run Sekera out of town. . They want him to use him to land us a quality RD

Ahh, my bad. Viewing and typing on my phone. I still don't see how that will fly (on rumors of $ demands from Trouba). I could be wrong.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Ahh, my bad. Viewing and typing on my phone. I still don't see how that will fly (on rumors of $ demands from Trouba). I could be wrong.

Logic is that the WPG wants a top 4 LD if they can't come to terms with Trouba.. for some reason they will pass up on guys like Fowler / Brodin and pick Sekera..
$$ wise it should be fine even if Trouba wants 7M+

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
Officially Sekera mentioned the mangementire at top as the main factor and then the direction they were taking the team.. you can search it up on oilers website. .

Unofficially it's the $$$ and the term.. only kidding yourself if you think otherwise... Chia outbid everyone to land Sekera

I'll take what was said to me directly as the truth. I've said what needs to be said 'on the record', but not my real thoughts. I'm not going to try to win anyone over... everyone can believe whatever they want. You seem happy to believe your $$ and term story, but that's your opinion.

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
Logic is that the WPG wants a top 4 LD if they can't come to terms with Trouba.. for some reason they will pass up on guys like Fowler / Brodin and pick Sekera..
$$ wise it should be fine even if Trouba wants 7M+

I hope not! Not worth top 5/6 $$ in the entire NHL. More than multiple SC winner Seabrook? And multiple Norris winners

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Trading Sekera or Klefbom for Trouba would be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The Oilers have two top-4 LD in Klefbom and Sekera, they don't have the depth to effectively replace that unless you're way too overconfident in Brandon Davidson. The idea is to add to what's in place to acquire some depth, not to create a hole filling another hole.

The Oilers have a real strong trading chip in Darnell Nurse. He isn't a finished product, but may be a top-4 defenseman soon, has a lot of intangible assets that GMs in this league love and most importantly, does not have to be protected in the upcoming expansion draft. If Winnipeg can get an actual, proven top-4 guy for Trouba right now, let them. As teams with impossible decisions approach the expansion, a return like Nurse+ will look more and more ideal.

In the mean time, I would look at some stop gaps. Watch what happens with James Wiz in Tampa very closely, watch the waiver wire, etc.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is the umpteenth time this summer that the trade Sekera talk has come up.

It's not going to happen.

Nor should the Oilers want to trade him. He's a good player, highly underappreciated by a select group of posters on this forum and I don't quite get it. He will excel in a true 2nd pairing role this season.

He's more valuable to the Oilers than any trade return for him anyway. Sekera doesn't get Trouba IMO and I have little interest in trading Klefbom for Trouba either. The Oilers need to add a top 4 Dman, not trade one out for another especially if they are similar level players like Klefbom/Sekera and Trouba are. I'd be willing to do Nurse+ for Trouba because the Oilers aren't dependent on Nurse right now and Trouba is what we hope Nurse can be one day but not sure if that would interest the Jets as they would probably prefer somebody a bit more proven on the left side.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Nor should the Oilers want to trade him. He's a good player, highly underappreciated by a select group of posters on this forum and I don't quite get it. He will excel in a true 2nd pairing role this season.

He's more valuable to the Oilers than any trade return for him anyway. Sekera doesn't get Trouba IMO and I have little interest in trading Klefbom for Trouba either. The Oilers need to add a top 4 Dman, not trade one out for another especially if they are similar level players like Klefbom/Sekera and Trouba are. I'd be willing to do Nurse+ for Trouba because the Oilers aren't dependent on Nurse right now and Trouba is what we hope Nurse can be one day but not sure if that would interest the Jets as they would probably prefer somebody a bit more proven on the left side.

Sekera is already starting to regress. Horc 2.0. He is helping us now. That's not where I'm concerned. I'm not a fan of his contract. I think it'll bite us in 2 years

My proposal wasn't to trade him for peanuts. I'm not a fan of selling low on our players. But I see an opportunity here. Sekera+ for Trouba makes sense. Of course Sekera has to waive his NMC. I'm aware of that. It benefits both teams.

Nurse+ doesn't get you Trouba. Winnipeg wants a D that can contribute now. Nurse is no different than Morrisey. It doesn't make sense for them.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He's already starting to regress. Horc 2.0. He is helping us now. That's not where I'm concerned. I'm not a fan of his contract. I think it'll bite us in 2 years

My proposal wasn't to trade him for peanuts. I'm not a fan of selling low on our players. But I see an opportunity here. Sekera+ for Trouba makes sense. Of course Sekera has to waive his NMC. I'm aware of that. It benefits both teams.

Nurse+ doesn't get you Trouba. Winnipeg wants a D that can contribute now. Nurse is no different than Morrisey. It doesn't make sense for them.
How exactly do you come to the conclusion he has started to regress? He was great last year. He's a better defender than Petry or anyone else we've had through here in years.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
How exactly do you come to the conclusion he has started to regress? He was great last year. He's a better defender than Petry or anyone else we've had through here in years.

I'm one of the few fans that prefer Petry over Sekera. Sekera had a decent season. Started with 2 bad months and then got ample time on the PP. Its Davidson that had a great season.

Sekera is a #4D that fans like to associate him as a very good #3D and is paid like a #2D.

This is Mark Fayne with a more expensive and longer contract

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Sekera is already starting to regress. Horc 2.0. He is helping us now. That's not where I'm concerned. I'm not a fan of his contract. I think it'll bite us in 2 years

He hasn't regressed at all, not sure why you'd think that. He actually got stronger as the year wore on after some struggles in the first month or so. He just turned 30, doesn't have a lot of mileage on the body, is in great shape (he trains very hard from what we've heard) and he's the type of Dman who can play well deep into his 30s so I don't see his contract being an albatross anytime soon.

I suppose I'd pull the trigger on a deal for Trouba mainly because of his upside and being a righty and all but it doesn't do much to help the team in the next few years as Trouba is still pretty raw. The Oilers would have a top 6 full of early to mid 20 year olds with Fayne as the lone vet, not a recipe for success. I'm not sure Winnipeg does that deal anyway because of the term on Sekera's contract and it doesn't matter because he has a NMC and I highly doubt that he waives for Winnipeg so all this talk is moot anyway.

Nurse is the most realistic trade chip that the Oilers have and Reinhart to a lesser extent. It's hard to gauge how much value either of these guys have because they have upside but haven't impressed much at all in their short pro careers so I'm not sure that either hold as much value as we might think but Nurse does have a very unique skillset and being expansion draft exempt is gold right now so I'm sure that Winnipeg would have at least some passing interest in him.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

post-44322-Office-Space-Lumbergh-Disagree-ptN9.gif

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'm one of the few fans that prefer Petry over Sekera. Sekera had a decent season. Started with 2 bad months and then got ample time on the PP. Its Davidson that had a great season.

Sekera is a #4D that fans like to associate him as a very good #3D and is paid like a #2D.

This is Mark Fayne with a more expensive and longer contract
Well that's pretty ridiculous honestly. Outside of physical tools, size, physicality, right shot Sekera is better than Petry at everything. Better instincts in all zones, better offensive upside, smarter positionally....Sekera is distinctly better and they make the same money. Davidson had a good stretch. Sekera has done this for years. Typical oilers fans though anointing unknown player with 20 good games superior to a veteran with years of proven top 4 play on multiple teams.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Wonder what columbus does for the expansion draft, I'm assuming they are going to go 7-3 as they have Hartnell, Dubinsky, Foligno, Clarkson all with NMC and have to be protected, leaving 3 spots to protect Saad, Jenner, Atkinson, Calvert and possibly Karlsson/Wennberg not sure if they need to be protected. Then they can only protect 3 of Jones, Murray, Johnson, Savard.

I'd love to pry Savard out of cbj, 26 yr, RHS can move the puck and run a pp and puts up points. Good size, physicality, decent skater, pretty good defence.

I'm still of the opinion that Chia should keep an eye on the Wiz situation if that doesn't pan out maybe see if Buffalo sells Franson dirt cheap (contract year for him, probably has a decent season) I'd even consider Wideman if we could get Calgary to retain and throw in an additional asset.

Go into the season with Larsson, Sekera, Klef as your top 3 then Davidson, Fayne, Wiz/Franson/Wideman fighting it out for that 4 spot or getting it done by committee.

I really think we need to see how Davidson does for the first half of the season, if he really struggles then maybe we look for a deal at the deadline from a team worried about losing a defender in the expansion draft. If we can take advantage and get a good deal I'd be ok with them going to protecting 4/4.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sekera is a solid 2nd pairing vet and he was money in OT last season as well. Had we not landed him we would've seen the likes of Nurse and Reinhart eaten alive last season.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I'd trade Sekera for a legitimate upgrade I guess.. Otherwise, I don't think we can afford to fool with moving one of our best D unless we want to stay in the basement forever. (And I'm a guy who believes it is a risky contract to hold long term... but unless we are getting a serious upgrade we just can't do it. I'd be pissed -we've lost enough).

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I don't even know where all this talk of trading Sekera comes from.

NMC = no movement... plus he's pretty much the last guy we should be discussing being moved... especially on a weak D team like this with so little veteran talent on the blueline.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Pouliot, Fayne, 2nd for D Savard, 3rd?

Maroon-McJ-Eberle
Lucic-RNH-JPP
Versteeg-Drai-Yak

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Savard
Davidson-Nurse

Status