Rumor: The official Rumour thread PART I for 2016/2017 [do we want another PTO?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm not sure that's true, because I don't see why a team would want to expose him to begin with.

But I agree he's likely staying, probably because Chiarelli has no intention of moving him.

What do Chiarelli's intentions matter? Sekera has a full NMC, and he said that he signed in the first place because of McDavid. If he wanted to play for Winnipeg, he would have signed with Winnipeg. We are stuck with Sekera, and that's not a bad problem to have. The lack of flexibility is a bad thing, but at least Sekera is a very good 2nd pairing guy so the downside is laughable.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I honestly don't mind our current lineup that much but we are an injury to Larsson, Mcdavid, or Klefbom/Sekera away from being last years team all over again.

If Talbot gets injured we are even worse than last year.

If Versteeg shows up, and Gyba joins the squad for depth during injuries or to rotate in if Fayne needs another waiver scare, then that is still a considerable upgrade on last year.

At that point we just hope for the best.

If we can trade anything not on the roster including: Nurse, next years 1st, or an assortment of picks and assets for a top 4 right defenceman shaking loose out of a cap strapped team then obviously we take that and we should be competing for a playoff spot.

Relax negative Nancy. We lost Mcdavid for half a season, we lost Klefbom for 50+ games. So add the amount of games we can possibly get out of Larsson + Klefbom this season.

And the young guns to only improve out of McDavid, Drai, Klef, Davidson, etc.

Talbot should only improve with better defence + better overall team support.

Then we added legit vets in Lucic + Versteeg for depth.

Be optimistic.

Last edited:

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Relax negative Nancy. We lost Mcdavid for half a season, we post Klefbom for 50+ games. So add the amput of games we can possibly get out of Larsson + Klefbom this season.

And the young guns to only improve out of McDavid, Drai, Klef, Davidson, etc.

Talbot should only improve with better defence + better overall team support.

Then we added legit vets in Lucic + Versteeg for depth.

Be optimistic.

I think you need to reread my post if you think it's negative. I'm not ready to slot Pulju into the lineup or assume Larsson stays healthy all year but if you follow the posts you'll find I've said multiple times that we are better than years past.

Just suggested we all get on board with picking up some depth players and I even apologized for suggesting that. You are absolutely right we have nothing to worry about. Injuries don't happen and our RD is league average.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I think you need to reread my post if you think it's negative. I'm not ready to slot Pulju into the lineup or assume Larsson stays healthy all year but if you follow the posts you'll find I've said multiple times that we are better than years past.

Just suggested we all get on board with picking up some depth players and I even apologized for suggesting that. You are absolutely right we have nothing to worry about. Injuries don't happen and our RD is league average.

Okay I understand.

My view on Puljujarvi is that he's that good. He's definitely one of our best options on the right wing and I am confident he'll make this team from his skills when camp begins.

He benefits us in Edmonton over Bakersfield due to his skills. He makes this team better today even at his age, he's that good.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Okay I understand.

My view on Puljujarvi is that he's that good. He's definitely one of our best options on the right wing and I am confident he'll make this team from his skills when camp begins.

He benefits us in Edmonton over Bakersfield due to his skills. He makes this team better today even at his age, he's that good.

Thanks guy. Yeah I hope Pulju, Nurse, Yak, Lander, Davidson all come in and blow the doors off leaving TM with very difficult decisions to make.

I do see us icing the best lineup we have in a long while. Guess as the years weigh on it gets harder and harder to assume we are good enough. So I really want to bring in depth guys to fill voids and add competition.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
What do Chiarelli's intentions matter? Sekera has a full NMC, and he said that he signed in the first place because of McDavid. If he wanted to play for Winnipeg, he would have signed with Winnipeg. We are stuck with Sekera, and that's not a bad problem to have. The lack of flexibility is a bad thing, but at least Sekera is a very good 2nd pairing guy so the downside is laughable.

When it comes down to the best interest of the team, Chia will tell Sekera the same thing he said to Hall. It's part of the business. Sekera for 5.5M as a 2nd pairing D is not a bad problem to have, but if you can move him for a younger D with more upside like Trouba you do it.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Okay I understand.

.Did Gagner, Cogliano, Paajarvi, Eberle, Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, Nurse, Draisaitl, or even McDavid* make this team better? Why would it be so bad to have a rookie actually get some pro NA experience in the AHL?
BTW I'm not denying that Puljujarvi is good but we still have too much youth on this team and having a vet(like Versteeg) would be more beneficial for the team in general. Lets finally get away with whats immediately more beneficial for the player(better individuals obviously has not been better for the team)

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
.Did Gagner, Cogliano, Paajarvi, Eberle, Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, Nurse, Draisaitl, or even McDavid* make this team better? Why would it be so bad to have a rookie actually get some pro NA experience in the AHL?
BTW I'm not denying that Puljujarvi is good but we still have too much youth on this team and having a vet(like Versteeg) would be more beneficial for the team in general. Lets finally get away with whats immediately more beneficial for the player(better individuals obviously has not been better for the team)

Agreed. Putting Puljujarvi in the AHL is not gonna hinder him or anyone for that matter. Look at Nylander for Toronto. He had good spurts in the NHL but the Leafs still left him in the AHL to season him out. Now he is ready to play and can really help their team out (even though there still is a lot of problems on the Leafs). We need to get out of the mindset that every draftee we take in the 1st round doesn't always get NHL playing time as soon as he get's drafted. We've been gifted with that since Gagner and it seems every year we expect the same thing year after year. Let the prospects develop and if Puljujarvi is over a PPG in the AHL, then bring him up. Otherwise, let's bring in a guy like Versteeg who can help the young guys with his veteran presence and actually develop those guys first before a new project again.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
When it comes down to the best interest of the team, Chia will tell Sekera the same thing he said to Hall. It's part of the business. Sekera for 5.5M as a 2nd pairing D is not a bad problem to have, but if you can move him for a younger D with more upside like Trouba you do it.

Who was the last UFA given a NMC that was traded before Year 2 of his contract? I think trading Sekera is not a very realistic scenario.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

And Sekera will tell Chia, "I have a NMC, I'm not going anywhere I don't want to go."

There is no chance Sekera is traded, no matter how much you keep trying to push the idea.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

Okay well I will not make arguments against Gagner, Cogliano, Yakupov, Nurse or Paajarvi considering Edmonton had no real depth so they had to be thrown to the wolves. Keep in mind those guys thrown at the wolves had pathetic depth/teammates to assist their abilities plus weak competion to make the team.

McDavid and RNH definitely made this team better considering the center depth at the time. RNH did not have much competition to compete against with at the time.

The 2007-2015 Oilers was an era itself.

Puljujarvi is at the level of the others in Drai, RNH, Eberle and Hall. Keep in mind Puljujarvi plays a different game compared to these guys, he can fit in the top 6 due to his skill alone but he can also fit the 3rd line due to his strength and hustle he provides. You couldn't throw Yakupov or Eberle on the 3rd line in their rookie seasons since they would get out muscled every shift leaving their game exposed.

At the same time we have actual depth/NHL calibre players in the lineup today to assist Puljujarvi on any top 3 lines. It will not hurt his development due to his style. In my opinion he makes this team harder to play against because I believe he's one of the best right wings on this team today considering Ebs and Versteeg in the mix.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

The bolded is what Sekera will telll Chiarelli followed by "suck it up .. I am here to stay til the end of the contract that you signed me to"

Why should Sekera care and sacrifice for the best interest of the team? He would rather see Larsson get claimed in expansion draft than waive his NMC. Chia signed him to it and he has to live with it.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The bolded is what Sekera will telll Chiarelli followed by "suck it up .. I am here to stay til the end of the contract that you signed me to"

Why should Sekera care and sacrifice for the best interest of the team? He would rather see Larsson get claimed in expansion draft than waive his NMC. Chia signed him to it and he has to live with it.
I wouldn't be waiving at anytime soon. If anything he'll still get free tickets to the McDavid show every night

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
And Sekera will tell Chia, "I have a NMC, I'm not going anywhere I don't want to go."

There is no chance Sekera is traded, no matter how much you keep trying to push the idea.

You guys are no fun. I can't throw Sekera name in trade rumours but Ference is everyone trade proposal

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You guys are no fun. I can't throw Sekera name in trade rumours but Ference is everyone trade proposal

Ference is more than likely never playing a game and it would be paper transaction, so that's why Ference would make sense.

I really don't see him in a lot of proposals either. Just the odd bad contract for bad contract.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

I dont think Sekera is going anywhere but I dont agree with the above..
Sekera signed with us because we were the only team that offered him the 6th year along with a NMC. He wanted stability and we gave him just that. McDavid isnt that big of a factor certainly not more than winning.

He will have the 6th year and a NMC even after he is traded so as long as it is to a city of his liking I dont think Sekera would be too worried about not playing on a team with McDavid.

edit: Is this also the official proposal thread? or just rumors? I need a place to make my outlandish proposals dammit!

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I dont think Sekera is going anywhere but I dont agree with the above..
Sekera signed with us because we were the only team that offered him the 6th year along with a NMC. He wanted stability and we gave him just that. McDavid isnt that big of a factor certainly not more than winning.

He will have the 6th year and a NMC even after he is traded so as long as it is to a city of his liking I dont think Sekera would be too worried about not playing on a team with McDavid.

edit: Is this also the official proposal thread? or just rumors? I need a place to make my outlandish proposals dammit!

Source?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
http://sport.aktuality.sk/c/189866/andrej-sekera-zabudnut-na-plaz-a-oprasit-zimne-veci-z-buffala/

Help your decision-making, it's for six years?
"Yes, he decided. This contract was the longest I've got. "

Do you have a clause in the contract that you can not just replace?
"Yes, I do. I can not send me anywhere without my knowledge. "

Well judging by the language of the second one, he could very well mean this is the longest contract he's ever received in his career.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Well judging by the language of the second one, he could very well mean this is the longest contract he's ever received in his career.

Looks like we need to clarify this one

27386832d1377456426-g2-grimlock-you-have-never-

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

You seem to be missing the part where Sekera has a NMC and specifically wanted it because moving was hard on his family every year. When you get a wife and kids that stability is a nice thing to have.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This is the umpteenth time this summer that the trade Sekera talk has come up.

It's not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad