Rumor: The official Rumour thread PART I for 2016/2017 [do we want another PTO?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Last thread is almost at 1000 and since we are now in a month were if we look at the game planner--we actually have games--so there for trade rumour thread I!!!!!

Versteeg is on a PTO

who is next?

speculation from last thread have the oilers offering an unnamed C a PTO--feeling is it is Mike Richards--hints of the oilers bringing in another D is still there as well-reportedly gryba

and of course the usual YAk playing should I stay or should I go being played on the Juke box

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
No to Richards and no to Kane. **** those two.

Team above ego.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Kane is a unanimous NO! (to finalize previous convo)

Richards:
The only argument in Richards' favour is that he is 36, and this would be his absolute last shot.

Maybe an old grizzled vet will see the McJesus light and want to be a mentor and leader for this team. If he can see how special McDavid is and willingly wants to fall in line under his command, there might be something there.

Richards might be a crazy gamble that works. Sometimes those wily vets are a perfect gamble when the time is right. 19 year old captain, maybe a 36 year old talented player on his last chance believes in McJesus and will follow him to the end. If that can happen, bring him to EDM.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Kane is a unanimous NO! (to finalize previous convo)

Richards:
The only argument in Richards' favour is that he is 36, and this would be his absolute last shot.

Maybe an old grizzled vet will see the McJesus light and want to be a mentor and leader for this team. If he can see how special McDavid is and willingly wants to fall in line under his command, there might be something there.

Richards might be a crazy gamble that works. Sometimes those wily vets are a perfect gamble when the time is right. 19 year old captain, maybe a 36 year old talented player on his last chance believes in McJesus and will follow him to the end. If that can happen, bring him to EDM.

Wrong Richards. Mike Richards is only 31 years old.

Anyways, I can't help but think if he was going to accept the oilers pto he would have by now.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Wrong Richards. Mike Richards is only 31 years old.

Anyways, I can't help but think if he was going to accept the oilers pto he would have by now.

Sorry I was PMing about Brad, that's my bad. Chats of un-retirement stuff. My apologies.

You are correct.

Edit: Mike is interesting though. Worth a PTO for sure.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Not sure why anyone who saw Richards play last year would think he's worth a PTO. The guy can barely keep up and just isn't very good at this point.

Jiri Tlusty, even coming of the disaster his year was last season would be a much better option.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I expect Mike Richards is the guy that Chia was talking about when he said that the Oilers had sent a PTO to a player, but had not heard back.

Richards might come up here, but he'll probably exhaust every other possible option first before returning Chia's call.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Not sure why anyone who saw Richards play last year would think he's worth a PTO. The guy can barely keep up and just isn't very good at this point.

Jiri Tlusty, even coming of the disaster his year was last season would be a much better option.

He's worth a PTO because the Oilers are going to be without their top 3 centers for pretty much all of camp, and they need anyone with a pulse to fill out a lineup card for scrimmages and those preseason games still need to be played. I doubt Chia is thinking much beyond that, despite his protestations that PTO guy is only being brought in for a 'serious' shot to make the team. It's not like he can say otherwise if he wants to have any hope of selling his PTO to a dwindling list of available veterans who don't want to feel like their time is being wasted.

And hey, if a Christmas miracle happens and Richards actually looks like a useful player, found money!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
No harm in a PTO to Richards. Should be able to tell pretty quick if he still plays like his body is a broken down mess, or if he managed to regain something in the off season. If he did get something back, awesome.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He's worth a PTO because the Oilers are going to be without their top 3 centers for pretty much all of camp, and they need anyone with a pulse to fill out a lineup card for scrimmages and those preseason games still need to be played. I doubt Chia is thinking much beyond that, despite his protestations that PTO guy is only being brought in for a 'serious' shot to make the team. It's not like he can say otherwise if he wants to have any hope of selling his PTO to a dwindling list of available veterans who don't want to feel like their time is being wasted.

And hey, if a Christmas miracle happens and Richards actually looks like a useful player, found money!

Pretty much this, we need bodies. Kinda like how we just grabbed guys late last year. Sometimes you just grab bodies to fill a void.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
With people saying he's been training hard, I'm a bit intrigued to see how he'd show in camp but my big question is how hard is it to get your speed back once you've lost it? He's still only 31, but what the hell happened, Mike?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

You know you can "found money" on less awful players. Richards has his name and history, otherwise he would be the KHL or somewhere else right now. The guys is not effect at hockey.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
With people saying he's been training hard, I'm a bit intrigued to see how he'd show in camp but my big question is how hard is it to get your speed back once you've lost it? He's still only 31, but what the hell happened, Mike?

He never trained for the majority of his career, so once he lost it he really lost it.

Which is very interesting. Depending on how hard the guy actually trains he could become a new man that is a better skater than he ever was. The problem is does his mind have the power to push him through this.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I'd be okay with Richards on a PTO, if he shows something he's someone who definitely knows what it takes to win it all and those are the kind of people we need around.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd be okay with Richards on a PTO, if he shows something he's someone who definitely knows what it takes to win it all and those are the kind of people we need around.

If this were sincerely true, he would likely still be an LA King.

Mike Richards is as much myth as he is a player. There are better options, they should look at those.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Some people are penciling Richards onto the 3rd line? Yikes
If the Oilers offer him a PTO which would be fine, it should be as a 13th forward, vet presence to guide the youngsters. Nothing more.

If anybody but RNH or Drai is centering the 3rd line, the Oilers are in trouble. I sure hope that Mclellan doesn't fall in love with this idea to move Drai to the wing because he and RNH had 3 good games together in which Hall was driving the line anyway. McDavid/RNH/Drai should be the 1-2-3 center combo. Anything else and the 3rd line becomes completely useless.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If this were sincerely true, he would likely still be an LA King.

Mike Richards is as much myth as he is a player. There are better options, they should look at those.

They thought they had a way to get out of a bad contract. Nothing more, nothing less.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Some people are penciling Richards onto the 3rd line? Yikes
If the Oilers offer him a PTO which would be fine, it should be as a 13th forward, vet presence to guide the youngsters. Nothing more.

If anybody but RNH or Drai is centering the 3rd line, the Oilers are in trouble. I sure hope that Mclellan doesn't fall in love with this idea to move Drai to the wing because he and RNH had 3 good games together in which Hall was driving the line anyway. McDavid/RNH/Drai should be the 1-2-3 center combo. Anything else and the 3rd line becomes completely useless.

I agree he would be at best fighting for a regular shift on the bottom line, but if he comes to camp in shape and motivated to fight for his NHL career, he can take faceoffs, was at 49.5% last year better than RNH.

Honestly it's a PTO if the coaching staff thinks he's good enough for spot duty I'll trust them. 4th line can consist of Letestu, Hendricks, Kassian and Richards and I'd be comfortable with that.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I think people are getting bent out of shape with the PTO's. Even Chiarelli said they are not a guarantee that they will be on the roster, but he wants competition, so no freebies to anyone, except for maybe McDavid. This is good for the team and will also help us if for some reason we suffer an injury in pre-season, which seems to ALWAYS happen to us in the last 6 years. If Draisaitl suffered an injury and we had no PTO's, how does Lander look as our 3rd liner? basically we'd only have scoring on our first 2 lines then. This is good. I'm happy we are finally making competition for every spot. :handclap:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

You have 2 of the 3 with the grand total of 2.5 years experience. The grandpappy of the bunch is RNH who is playing on the Young Stars U23 team. Move Drai to RW and get an older veteran C whose won before, has heart and character and a bit of jam to his game. If Richards legs and hands aren't gone, he's the perfect 3C for this team on a 1 year deal.

Also remember a PTO is to evaluate a player, they have to earn the contract so if Richards comes in its nothing ventured nothing gained for doing so. If he can't keep up they don't sign him, simple as that.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think people are getting bent out of shape with the PTO's. Even Chiarelli said they are not a guarantee that they will be on the roster, but he wants competition, so no freebies to anyone, except for maybe McDavid. This is good for the team and will also help us if for some reason we suffer an injury in pre-season, which seems to ALWAYS happen to us in the last 6 years. If Draisaitl suffered an injury and we had no PTO's, how does Lander look as our 3rd liner? basically we'd only have scoring on our first 2 lines then. This is good. I'm happy we are finally making competition for every spot. :handclap:

What he said.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
You know you can "found money" on less awful players. Richards has his name and history, otherwise he would be the KHL or somewhere else right now. The guys is not effect at hockey.

Except for being the one of the best Pk'ers in the league last year and playing on the 3rd line in Washington lol. Luckily Chiarelli knows a thing or 2 about hockey and said he wants a player with specific skills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad