Rumor: The official Rumour thread PART I for 2016/2017 [do we want another PTO?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I don't even know where all this talk of trading Sekera comes from.

NMC = no movement... plus he's pretty much the last guy we should be discussing being moved... especially on a weak D team like this with so little veteran talent on the blueline.

but people around here just see players a pieces of meat to toss around a BBQ-they would not see the ramifications of trading a UFA 1 year after signing him to a NMC--Sekera has not played bad or done anything that should cause him to be traded--some people just love trades and are convinced that with a new arena and Mcdavid players will take discounts to sign here.. Lucic did not take a discount to sign here--Reportedly montreal offered the same term but that magic 7th year which the oilers match. MAybe cause I am little older--when we were rocking in the 80's not everyone in an Oiler uniform wanted to be an oiler and when we tried to sign UFA's we were not the top of many players lists--but time has distorted some things.

If it was not for the cap we might not be on many players lists--we are lucky Katz will spend to the cap

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
but people around here just see players a pieces of meat to toss around a BBQ-they would not see the ramifications of trading a UFA 1 year after signing him to a NMC--Sekera has not played bad or done anything that should cause him to be traded--some people just love trades and are convinced that with a new arena and Mcdavid players will take discounts to sign here.. Lucic did not take a discount to sign here--Reportedly montreal offered the same term but that magic 7th year which the oilers match. MAybe cause I am little older--when we were rocking in the 80's not everyone in an Oiler uniform wanted to be an oiler and when we tried to sign UFA's we were not the top of many players lists--but time has distorted some things.

If it was not for the cap we might not be on many players lists--we are lucky Katz will spend to the cap

Montreal offered more money

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Sekera is a solid 2nd pairing vet and he was money in OT last season as well. Had we not landed him we would've seen the likes of Nurse and Reinhart eaten alive last season.

Vet is the key word too. Yeah lets trade him for Trouba and have Larsson be our oldest dman...

Youre right too, he was brilliant in overtime

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Yeah, Sekera isn't going anywhere. Also, he's a quality 2nd pairing guy on any team in the league, loves the city, and he's a good leader (by all indications).

Winnipeg will make sure to trade Trouba to the east. It wouldn't make sense to trade him to a team that you might be competing with for a playoff spot, unless they get a massive over payment from a western team. Like Nurse ++ or Puljujarvi ++.

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
Pouliot, Fayne, 2nd for D Savard, 3rd?

Maroon-McJ-Eberle
Lucic-RNH-JPP
Versteeg-Drai-Yak

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Savard
Davidson-Nurse

Do not think Cbus has the cap space, according to general fanager they have 3 mil cap space but need to sign 3 more players or bring up rookies from the a to play and they still have to get paid. If we retained Fayne 50% mayber but even then do not think they would bite.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Do not think Cbus has the cap space, according to general fanager they have 3 mil cap space but need to sign 3 more players or bring up rookies from the a to play and they still have to get paid. If we retained Fayne 50% mayber but even then do not think they would bite.

Agreed. I think they are pretty high on Savard. It's too bad because he would look great on a 2nd pair with Sekera. One of the better targets out there in terms of fit.

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Savard

That's 18 million for a good looking top 4 locked up until 2021.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I'm one of the few fans that prefer Petry over Sekera. Sekera had a decent season. Started with 2 bad months and then got ample time on the PP. Its Davidson that had a great season.

Sekera is a #4D that fans like to associate him as a very good #3D and is paid like a #2D.

This is Mark Fayne with a more expensive and longer contract

Andrej Sekera has played in the top pairing or the toughest minutes on his team for almost 8 years. He was out-possessing Tyler Myers with the teams hardest zone starts in Buffalo on a fairly regularly basis, until he went to Carolina and was their unquestioned #1 (where they loved him).

He's better than a #4 and it's not reasonable to argue otherwise. He led the team in minutes, played the hardest competition and the toughest zone-starts of any full-time Oiler, led the defense in scoring and did all that after struggling in his first 10-15 games AND with the teams only other legitimate top-4 defenseman gone for the last 50 games.

He had a good season in a bad situation in a new city. I think it would be very hard to be more out to lunch than your posts in this topic. Jeff Petry was in flashes what Sekera has been for almost a decade.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Andrej Sekera has played in the top pairing or the toughest minutes on his team for almost 8 years. He was out-possessing Tyler Myers with the teams hardest zone starts in Buffalo on a fairly regularly basis, until he went to Carolina and was their unquestioned #1 (where they loved him).

He's better than a #4 and it's not reasonable to argue otherwise. He led the team in minutes, played the hardest competition and the toughest zone-starts of any full-time Oiler, led the defense in scoring and did all that after struggling in his first 10-15 games AND with the teams only other legitimate top-4 defenseman gone for the last 50 games.

He had a good season in a bad situation in a new city. I think it would be very hard to be more out to lunch than your posts in this topic. Jeff Petry was in flashes what Sekera has been for almost a decade.

It doesn't matter what Sekera was 8 years ago. We are paying him 5.5M/yr for what he is now. To me Klef is a #3. Sekera certainly isn't better than Klef. We haven't had a legit top pairing D for so long that we are easily labelling second pairing D as one.

Sekera has good positioning. I'll give him that. What's stopping from being a legit top pairing D is size and physicality. Won't be worth 5.5M/yr in 2 years. Let alone another 5 years. It's scary just thinking of the thought that we could be paying him that much to eventually play on the bottom pairing. With McDavid and co kicking around, we can't afford to keep overpaying players

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I was high on Omark considering nothing was going on with this team at the time. Its hard to believe that one of Gagner, Omark or Paajarvi even panned out more than we thought.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It doesn't matter what Sekera was 8 years ago. We are paying him 5.5M/yr for what he is now. To me Klef is a #3. Sekera certainly isn't better than Klef. We haven't had a legit top pairing D for so long that we are easily labelling second pairing D as one.

Sekera has good positioning. I'll give him that. What's stopping from being a legit top pairing D is size and physicality. Won't be worth 5.5M/yr in 2 years. Let alone another 5 years. It's scary just thinking of the thought that we could be paying him that much to eventually play on the bottom pairing. With McDavid and co kicking around, we can't afford to keep overpaying players

Imo... Sekera is likely one of the more underrated Oilers and Klefbom one of the most overrated.

Sekera is a proven top 4 dman and Klefbom has a couple years of injury riddled play under his belt with a LOT left to prove that he'd a solid top 4 dman.

In fact, looking at their total "portfolio" of games played at the NHL level... I really haven't seen much separation between the play of Klefbom and Nurse... yet many would trade Nurse away in a deal to get a better dman while Klefbom is held as near sacred by some.

I hope both Klefbom and Nurse turn out... but I see them as essentially equal in their performances at this point... both with still a lot to prove to show they are consistent and productive NHL dmen.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
The good old HOPE...

Not much left of that and we might actually be HOPEless before the season starts.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

It's not about what Sekera was 8 years ago. It's what Sekera has been for 8 straight years. There's no evidence for a decline.

As for #3/#4 distinctions, that's wishy-washy and ultimately subjective. When I think about the differential between a 3 and a 4, or a 1 and 2 - I think of a guy who runs his pairing and a guy who is good enough to compliment someone on that pairing. My feeling is Sekera would qualify as a 3 since it's pretty easy to see how he would anchor a second pairing. He's been consistently productive in a bigger role.

As for Oscar Klefbom, the issue of what he is won't be resolved until he plays a large enough sample. Ultimately, his results over the last two years (in brief stints) eclipse those of a second pairing defenseman, but until he plays more than 30 games, we won't know either way.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Awesome post. Drop the mic and walk away.

Anytime I see people wanting to trade or undervalueing a player of Sekera's obvious quality I can't help but think those people are just completely clueless about hockey in general.

People that think Petry is as good or lol, even better than Sekera are people that only watch/follow the Oilers and don't have any context to judge a player.

Petry's only "good" year IMO was his last and even that he was not even remotely as good as Sekera in exactly the same role.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
As a side note unrelated to Sekera, Ference has stated his career is likely over. I doubt this comes as a surprise to anyone, but it confirms we'll have some extra cap space or even an extra contract spot if he chooses to retire.

Do the right thing Fernuckle, let it go.

He's completely within his rights to stay on and collect a check, Mactavish was dumb enough to sign him to that deal. It would be a great thing if he walked. Though, I've never stared 3 million in the face so not going to judge.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

He's completely within his rights to stay on and collect a check, Mactavish was dumb enough to sign him to that deal. It would be a great thing if he walked. Though, I've never stared 3 million in the face so not going to judge.

Dudes obviously not going to retire don't blame him of course. Lots of money to give up, especially when he says he doesn't want to work in hockey post retirement. So it's not like he'd retire and we could give him a coaching position or something to make up some of the lost income. Sadly, Matheson is wrong about the oilers getting any cap relief. Cap relief for a player on ltir only kicks in when a team is actually at the cap, and rookie bonuses won't factor in there. So the oilers will effectively have his contract as dead space this year.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

Was Ference's contract a 35+ contract? Not sure if it was or not, but if it was, retirement won't remove the cap-hit.

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
Agreed. I think they are pretty high on Savard. It's too bad because he would look great on a 2nd pair with Sekera. One of the better targets out there in terms of fit.

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Savard

That's 18 million for a good looking top 4 locked up until 2021.

Don't get me wrong I would love to add Savard and I think he would be a great fit beside any of our left D and is better pp option than anyone currently wearing the oil drop

But unfortunately unless Fayne @ 50% or Yak + 1st (protected top 5) is enough for Cbus I don't see how we could acquire him

We would also then have to protect 4 +4 +1 in the expansion meaning all forwards except PJJ Mcdavid Drai Lucic and Nuge would be exposed

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Imo... Sekera is likely one of the more underrated Oilers and Klefbom one of the most overrated.

Sekera is a proven top 4 dman and Klefbom has a couple years of injury riddled play under his belt with a LOT left to prove that he'd a solid top 4 dman.

In fact, looking at their total "portfolio" of games played at the NHL level... I really haven't seen much separation between the play of Klefbom and Nurse... yet many would trade Nurse away in a deal to get a better dman while Klefbom is held as near sacred by some.

I hope both Klefbom and Nurse turn out... but I see them as essentially equal in their performances at this point... both with still a lot to prove to show they are consistent and productive NHL dmen.

Yeah but we've got Larsson now why would we need more than one top 4 defenceman with any amount of experience? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad