Player Discussion The official Playoffs or Bust thread.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I haven't seen the ones that don't care if its 20 million on the 4th line. Can you point one out? I'd love a laugh.

I have, however seen people who think we should spend to fill a hole instead of hoping it magically fixes itself though.

Like the people who have been hoping we signed or traded for a top 4 D for the last few years because they knew borowiecki, wiercioch, cowen, wideman, gryba, Phillips weren't gonna cut it. But that's entirely reasonable don't you agree?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I don't even know what the word tank means to be honest. I always thought that "tank" was management/coaching purposely playing players not as good over their better players for the outcome of purposely losing.

There's a difference in my eyes between "tanking" and "rebuilding" or "firesaling." In a rebuild or firesale you are trying to get the best return for your better players so that you can start with a completely new clean slate and start over. The outcome of that is usually losing because you lose your best players. That's the difference I always had in my head anyway.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
I don't even know what the word tank means to be honest. I always thought that "tank" was management/coaching purposely playing players not as good over their better players for the outcome of purposely losing.

Toronto's lineup last night:

Grabner-Holland-Komarov
Greening-Arcobello-Parenteau
Winnik-Spaling-Boyes
Leivo-Froese-Clune

Hunwick - Rielly
Gardiner - Polak
Cowen - Corrado

That, my friends, is tanking.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I kind of want them to win to see the HF Leaf phenomenon of overrating of that line-up occur.

Ultimately, I watch the games to see my team win.

A Cup would be nice but ultimately it's entertainment. I can hardly be upset if they play well.

Not to mention, losing cultures exist.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Don't think we will make the playoffs.

I want Karlsson to take home his 3rd Norris though. Read that it's never been given to a defenceman where his team missed the playoffs, is that true?

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Such as?

Some will say Edmonton but when I look at Edmonton, I see ******* defensemen more than anything else.

Detroit Lions, Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia 76ers, Minnesota Timberwolves, Toronto Maple Leafs, Los Angeles Clippers, Milwaukee Bucks, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Padres, Edmonton Oilers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Detroit Lions, Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia 76ers, Minnesota Timberwolves, Toronto Maple Leafs, Los Angeles Clippers, Milwaukee Bucks, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Padres, Edmonton Oilers.

I see a whole bunch of teams with inferior talent.

The St-Louis Blues and the Washington Capitals could be an example of losing culture. They have talent but they constantly underachieve, it's a like a belief that they need to lose.

The Cincinnati Bengals are another example.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I see a whole bunch of teams with inferior talent.

The St-Louis Blues and the Washington Capitals could be an example of losing culture. They have talent but they constantly underachieve, it's a like a belief that they need to lose.

The Cincinnati Bengals are another example.

I think we have different definitions because when I think losing culture the two biggest standouts to me are the Browns and Lions. I guess that may fall in the constantly underachieve a bit though.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Such as?

Some will say Edmonton but when I look at Edmonton, I see ****** defensemen more than anything else.

I'd say when Florida was drafting in the top 10 for like 15 years and didn't turn things around.

Ditto for Columbus.

Atlanta never won a playoff series.

Generally you can't expect young players to teach themselves how to win hockey games.

Suiteness said:

Well, you could probably throw San Jose in there and maybe Nashville as well.

But at the same time, that to me is not a losing culture, if you're winning regularly in the regular season.

It's a failing culture maybe, but not a losing culture. They still win lots of hockey games.

The teams I listed above never really did, ever. Didn't matter who they drafted or tried to develop. Entire generations of prospects went in and out of those teams without the team's fortunes changing substantially.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Lions and Cleveland sports are sadness factories, 76ers will probably strike gold eventually with how many picks they have, Jaguars have a bright future with an excellent offense lead by Bortles, Yeldon and their recieving corps. Leafs will turn it around eventually thanks to money and a solid rebuild plan, Raiders have a promising future with Carr and Cooper. Clippers are contenders right now just getting destroyed by the Warriors like the rest of the league.

The others I can't really comment on since I don't know enough about them.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'd say when Florida was drafting in the top 10 for like 15 years and didn't turn things around.

Ditto for Columbus.

Atlanta never won a playoff series.

Generally you can't expect young players to teach themselves how to win hockey games.
Some GMs can't assemble the right mix of players no matter how high they draft but drafting high helps a lot.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
So many teams have games on us it would be a waste to try and mow them down. This is a season where injuries have killed any momentum moving forward and lack of high end skill prevent us from being a good playoff team.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
So many teams have games on us it would be a waste to try and mow them down. This is a season where injuries have killed any momentum moving forward and lack of high end skill prevent us from being a good playoff team.

What do you suggest the team do?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
20-7 needed to make playoffs.

5 wins, 2 losses, 5 wins, 2 losses, 4 wins, 2 losses, 4 wins 1 loss, 2 wins.

Something like that. It isn't completely ridiculous or anything CLOSE to the 20-2-3 we needed last year to make it.

However, failing to make playoffs will really be a big blow.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
20-7 needed to make playoffs.

5 wins, 2 losses, 5 wins, 2 losses, 4 wins, 2 losses, 4 wins 1 loss, 2 wins.

Something like that. It isn't completely ridiculous or anything CLOSE to the 20-2-3 we needed last year to make it.

However, failing to make playoffs will really be a big blow.

I don't really don't see the team doing it. Hammond fell back down to earth and Andy hasn't been great lately. However anythings possible and our next string of games are against non playoff teams so there's a chance I guess.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What do you suggest the team do?

Ride out the season and make changes in the offseason.

Getting Phaneuf put the team in an awkward position. They are better on Defense but still lack balance among the forwards. If Murray makes another trade to improve our forwards then you would think it should be enough to get a spark out of the team and go hard on the final playoff position. I still think this team is too far out and should take advantage of an off season by drafting a quality player. Let Mac get healthier and make some moves in the in the off season when we have a lot more cap space. Have a good training camp and get everyone on the same page.

Montreal needs to do this because they have a very weak team and will only benefit from a higher draft pick.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Getting Phaneuf put the team in an awkward position. They are better on Defense but still lack balance among the forwards. If Murray makes another trade to improve our forwards then you would think it should be enough to get a spark out of the team and go hard on the final playoff position. I still think this team is too far out and should take advantage of an off season by drafting a quality player. Let Mac get healthier and make some moves in the in the off season when we have a lot more cap space. Have a good training camp and get everyone on the same page.

Montreal needs to do this because they have a very weak team and will only benefit from a higher draft pick.

Getting Phaneuf was a step in the right direction especially seeing that he unloaded 2 contracts that everyone thought was unmovable.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
What would we gain by making the play offs nothing if we can get a top 10 pick and make some small moves we should be ok next year.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Getting Phaneuf was a step in the right direction especially seeing that he unloaded 2 contracts that everyone thought was unmovable.
Yeah but Phaneuf's contract was unmovable too. Would have been cheaper to buy those contracts out.

I like the player we got for what we need him to do, just if this is just another slow attempt to improve the team there is another hole just around the corner. At some point all of these things have to come together at the same time. I would say we are 2 years away from needing a better goalie, then what? O'Connor doesn't seem to be very close to becoming a back up here. Hammond is exactly what I thought he would be, a borderline backup.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Is this also the playoff race tracker as well? I see the Canes and Wings got loser points the other night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad