The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread - Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I appreciate your sarcasm, however it's well known that 1200 has an obscene amount of commercials, and I'm giving an anecdote from my morning.

I've also been a loyal listener since 1200's inception over 15 years ago, and even I'm now getting to the point where I can't deal with the immense amount of breaks.

I always thought I was just unlucky. Every time I seem to turn on TSN1200, especially in the morning, they seem to be on a commercial break. Glad to hear it's just not me.

I don't get the same experience tuning into TSN690, don't know if it's just perception but they don't seem to have the same amount of ads.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I always thought I was just unlucky. Every time I seem to turn on TSN1200, especially in the morning, they seem to be on a commercial break. Glad to hear it's just not me.

I don't get the same experience tuning into TSN690, don't know if it's just perception but they don't seem to have the same amount of ads.

Most people listen while in their cars hence more commercials in the morning.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

i'm telling you, 80-90% of the time i tune in it is commercial or 2 secs from going to one. i don't know how it happens but amazes me how often.

IMO

comparison-recent-ratings.png

Thanks for the information.

IMO

Shawn Simpson

Not to join the anti-Simmer group because I honestly like some of his hockey stuff. However, I don't get him. You would think he'd stay for the games? I get why Ian goes to all the practices, he's the professional journalist. However, you'd think since he's suppose to be a "analyst" he'd stay for the games even if he's not doing the post games. Maybe I'm just jealous because if I could go to every game free I'd never miss one. Thoughts????

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Not to join the anti-Simmer group because I honestly like some of his hockey stuff. However, I don't get him. You would think he'd stay for the games? I get why Ian goes to all the practices, he's the professional journalist. However, you'd think since he's suppose to be a "analyst" he'd stay for the games even if he's not doing the post games. Maybe I'm just jealous because if I could go to every game free I'd never miss one. Thoughts????
Maybe he doesn't get to go to each game for free. Ian writes for the team on TSN.ca so he will always be there.

IMO

Maybe he doesn't get to go to each game for free. Ian writes for the team on TSN.ca so he will always be there.

No he has bragged on the air a number of times that he hasn't paid to see a hockey game in since he was drafted. Maybe attending games isn't expected of them, I'm not sure how many games any of the other host attend so I could be just expecting too much.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
No he has bragged on the air a number of times that he hasn't paid to see a hockey game in since he was drafted. Maybe attending games isn't expected of them, I'm not sure how many games any of the other host attend so I could be just expecting too much.

Entirely possibly that he doesn't get in for free with his job, but gets free tickets every now and then.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

I would say he gets in for free when he is actually part of the broadcast in some way. After that he probably gets them when they come his way.

member 137785

Looks like TSN1200 had a pretty large drop between Spring last year and this. May be due to the Sens not making the playoffs though. I never really believed those written radio surveys (I've done one), or are they using a new higher tech method to measure listenership?

I'm sure they will just add more contests, because that is so fun for normal listeners...ughhh.

Agree 100% with the stupidly long sports updates and breaks, just bunch all your ads together like they do on Hockey Central at Noon on 1310, Tim and Sid, or TSN 690, and give us uninterrupted content. Seems like they are afraid of actually exposing the lack of actual content so they hide behind breaks and contests etc.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I would say he gets in for free when he is actually part of the broadcast in some way. After that he probably gets them when they come his way.

Not sure about that, I know I've heard them talking about a new big screen tv they can watch games on in the george st studio before.

member 137785

Who cares if they are at the game or watching on TV? You get a better read from watching on TV most games, unless you are tracking one player away from the puck.

IMO

Who cares if they are at the game or watching on TV? You get a better read from watching on TV most games, unless you are tracking one player away from the puck.

It was just a comment on how overall it seems Ian puts more preparation to the show then Shawn, such as going to more of the practices Again, this may because of other jobs Ian has that he needs to go them and Shawn may have other commitments that stop him from going. I was just curious.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm sorry to bring this up again but Chris Stevenson is just a really weak host. Listening to him right now on In the Box drone on about EK's performance. Emotionless, too matter-of-fact, monotonous, terrible radio voice, quiet, so boring. I can't wait for a permanent replacement for In the Box and end the revolving door of irrelevant hosts (although White is ok.. he can at least talk NFL for more than 30 seconds). It's taking quite a while.

Edit - oh good CJ is talking Corsi.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I like CJ because he kinda watches the game I do I usualy agree with his observations. I think he is right on about Karlsson.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
CJ's a ******. Bring back Todd White, at least he has both feet firmly planted on the ground and doesn't have a overinflated sense of self-importance. Stevenson should just move to Montreal and cover his Habs for the Gazette or TSN Montreal.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I found a great way to listen to TGOR if you're not pressed for time/in the car, etc. They post each hour online sans commercials. Average content time per hour (includes intro sports clips, Fallon jokes, "TGOR is brought to you by's" is 33 minutes per hour :laugh:

I listened to their entire 4 hour show in 2 hours.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'm sorry to bring this up again but Chris Stevenson is just a really weak host. Listening to him right now on In the Box drone on about EK's performance. Emotionless, too matter-of-fact, monotonous, terrible radio voice, quiet, so boring. I can't wait for a permanent replacement for In the Box and end the revolving door of irrelevant hosts (although White is ok.. he can at least talk NFL for more than 30 seconds). It's taking quite a while.

Edit - oh good CJ is talking Corsi.

I like CJ but i agree, he doesn't have the voice or energy for radio. He works better on the pregame shows where he's offset by other more energetic guys.

He has some good takes, although he drones on about corsi and **** too much.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I found a great way to listen to TGOR if you're not pressed for time/in the car, etc. They post each hour online sans commercials. Average content time per hour (includes intro sports clips, Fallon jokes, "TGOR is brought to you by's" is 33 minutes per hour :laugh:

I listened to their entire 4 hour show in 2 hours.

Hilarious. Take the 33 minutes per hour, this includes the ridiculous contests they run that eat up at least 10 minutes an hour.

As much as I hate on the station, it looks as if Ian may have been reading. The Drive actually had a segment yesterday where they discussed other NFL teams instead of the annoying Cowboys/Patriots ribbing....

As for Simmer not going to practices, scrums, games, etc..we all know that Simmer knows everything. No need for prep work from him cause he is "an ex-NHL executive". As Simmer would say, he is "too cool for school".

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
It was just a comment on how overall it seems Ian puts more preparation to the show then Shawn, such as going to more of the practices Again, this may because of other jobs Ian has that he needs to go them and Shawn may have other commitments that stop him from going. I was just curious.

Ian prepare? Dials up the internet maybe. Trivia stuff maybe, but no solid opinion or ability to lead a discussion on anything current.

That guy can suck the life out of any good hockey discussion in 10 seconds. He has no humour (though he thinks he does and tries to use it often) and is completely insecure as a radio personality - always having to put his partner into a corner and turn the subject to his advantage - over a 10 minute segment leading directly to commercial. Absolutely detest the method of asking a guest a question and in the asking, give the answer he is expecting.

Poor Amateur Radio at its worst - no disrespect to amateur radio students.

There are entire segments of nothing but blather. No substance at all. And it seems the people who pay for commercials have no comment on the content.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

As for Simmer not going to practices, scrums, games, etc..we all know that Simmer knows everything. No need for prep work from him cause he is "an ex-NHL executive". As Simmer would say, he is "too cool for school".

Come on. It is clear that Simpson watches every Sens game. (He may not attend, and I wouldn't speculate as to why not.) Just look at the guys twitter feed and he is always tweeting comments throughout the game.

I would find it interesting to have him attend a Sens practice every now and again, and comment on what the coaches are working on.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Poor Amateur Radio at its worst - no disrespect to amateur radio students.

On this topic ^

Does anyone outside of The Matrix, Macca and the regular emailers and TSN1200 hosts even care whatsoever about this Marcotte vs Jacubek race tomorrow???

Sens gameday, so lets waste an entire day discussing this joke of a race. Just spent 40 minutes in my car at lunch where they talked about Mike Babcock for a minute and the rest of the time was wasted on this race. I'm pretty sure The Drive will follow suit and so will TGOR tomorrow morning.

Perjong

Oct 1, 2013
Poor Amateur Radio at its worst

The station sure has gone down the sh!tter since the rebranding the genericization of the station. While it used to be enjoyable and fun to listen to in the morning, it's now dull and boring. Even the web site is a generic piece of crap. All the good old TGOR stuff is gone, along with the link to their old, good podcasts.

Last edited:

IMO

Come on. It is clear that Simpson watches every Sens game. (He may not attend, and I wouldn't speculate as to why not.) Just look at the guys twitter feed and he is always tweeting comments throughout the game.

I wouldn't call 2 or 3 tweets a lot of tweeting throughout the games and if you notice most time he only tweets in the first period, guessing it's before the pinot kick in. However, you're right it doesn't really matter as long he watches it at some point to offer his opinion on his shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad