The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread - Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Officer Fred

Jan 28, 2010
Vancouver
I just hope whoever was doing the postgame show of the Vancouver game isn't doing it again.

Holy crap, talk about William Shatner syndrome. And now.......let's talk about......the last play.......in the second..........period. We can all see..............how it fell....................apart...........

Holy crap, dude! Whoever that was couldn't string together more than 3-4 words without a pregnant pause. It was awful. I listened just long enough to catch the final score at work and couldn't take it any longer and shut it off. Brutal. Those kind of pregnant pauses work well when pushing a point, but must be used very sparingly. Overdoing it a la Jim Rome just makes for baaaaaaaaaaad radio.

Blake Price or Jeff Paterson?

Officer Fred

Jan 28, 2010
Vancouver
Last year right up until the season was half over,Simmer was saying with great assurance that Montreal was very weak and would soon regress. I dont think he's ever been right on his pronouncements about the next GM's or coaches whenever there is an opening although he always proclaims his opinion as fact.Seems like he is wrong more often than right.

It seems as though earlier in his career he had formed an opinion of Ryan and wants to be proved right. Bobby is off to a slow start so that hasn't helped.

His idea of having Greening and Condra replace Neil and Smith was interesting though. Neil is losing his ice time but for certain games like tomorrow with Calgary the Sens will want him in the lineup. But I think its nearing the time that Neil should take an occasional turn in the press box, not because he isn't trying but just because he has lost a step.

I support this.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
no doubt greening and condra in for smith and neil would give us a better chance to win. unfortunately best players play

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Listened to Dean and Gord on the radio doing the Edmonton game and can't begin to tell everyone how juvenile it was with the Dean and Gord sideshow.
Play by play was secondary to Dean's open mic rants with Gord reluctantly joining in. Despite the fact that Dean is a good play by play guy (when he wants to be), this just clarifies why he isn't in the elite group of guys doing the games on TV with Sportsnet, CBC and City tv.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Listened to Dean and Gord on the radio doing the Edmonton game and can't begin to tell everyone how juvenile it was with the Dean and Gord sideshow.
Play by play was secondary to Dean's open mic rants with Gord reluctantly joining in. Despite the fact that Dean is a good play by play guy (when he wants to be), this just clarifies why he isn't in the elite group of guys doing the games on TV with Sportsnet, CBC and City tv.

Yep, I listen to the other team's play by play or TV when they are both on. Too much off topic and too many double entendres as well.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Unfortunately, Dean thinks he IS an elite broadcaster and that will never change.

IMO

Simmer's take on the Sens is bang on for the most part. He, like many others, recognize that we are winning games despite being outplayed. He realizes this can't continue for much longer and I totally agree with him. I also agree with him that the major factor is lack of overall team speed.
I also share his frustration when he says that the team could be much better with a few strategic changes.

While Simmer can be quite silly at times, and I don't agree with him on the issue of Bobby Ryan, his analysis is generally quite good and I think we're lucky to have him in Ottawa.

I agree, when Simmer sticks to hockey I like listening to him. It's when he tries to be funny that annoys me. Also, I hate when he starts name dropping, for example the interview with Jeff Hunt and he constantly had to refer to him only as "Huntsy" or how he's buddies with every bar owner in town. Yes, we know you're not like the average listener but do you need to keep reminding you only associate with Ottawa's Wealthy, Famous, and Beautiful. Ian seems more like one of us. ;)

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Super powerful Tim Murray interview on TSN 1200 right now, Tim Murray is almost crying the entire interview. Said he likely would not have left Ottawa if he knew Bryan was sick.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Super powerful Tim Murray interview on TSN 1200 right now, Tim Murray is almost crying the entire interview. Said he likely would not have left Ottawa if he knew Bryan was sick.

That was a tough listen. We always look at things in the scope of hockey and this interview was a reminder that to Tim, he's Uncle Bryan. The guy who's been there for him his entire life and taught him everything he knows about the game...

I can't even imagine what Tim's going through but he should feel no guilt about taking the Buffalo job. Life happens.

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
It was never clear to me why Ottawa let Tim Murray go to Buffalo when Bryan Murray's retirement had to be just a year or two off and no one else internal ready to step in at that level. Almost like they didn't think he was up to it or he didn't think the organization was where he wanted to take the next step. Just wondering ...

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It was never clear to me why Ottawa let Tim Murray go to Buffalo when Bryan Murray's retirement had to be just a year or two off and no one else internal ready to step in at that level. Almost like they didn't think he was up to it or he didn't think the organization was where he wanted to take the next step. Just wondering ...
He wanted to go. He went for the interview and then they chose him. At that point I'm guessing it is hard to say no.

member 137785

I think the perception of an uncle giving the job to his nephew would have been weird, and the relationship with Melnyk matters, who know how that was with Tim. He's not the most smooth guy around, kind of rough around the edges it seems. But by all accounts an awesome hockey guy.

Mad props to Tim for going on the radio to discuss the situation, and of course to Bryan for speaking out, he probably saved a lot of lives.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That was a tough listen. We always look at things in the scope of hockey and this interview was a reminder that to Tim, he's Uncle Bryan. The guy who's been there for him his entire life and taught him everything he knows about the game...

I can't even imagine what Tim's going through but he should feel no guilt about taking the Buffalo job. Life happens.

The job in Buffalo is an amazing opportunity. Better situation (financially, picks, fan support) than he could ever dream of having here in Ottawa.

Tim definitely shouldn't feel any guilt at all for leaving.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012

There's only 30 NHL GM jobs in the entire world. You take one when you get it. Who knows what would have happened in Ottawa.

What if Brian Murray decided to retire? The job doesn't automatically get handed to Tim Murray, they would still do interviews with other candidates and choose the best one.

How dumb would he feel if he turned down Buffalo and then in 2 years Ottawa hires someone else?

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
There's only 30 NHL GM jobs in the entire world. You take one when you get it. Who knows what would have happened in Ottawa.

What if Brian Murray decided to retire? The job doesn't automatically get handed to Tim Murray, they would still do interviews with other candidates and choose the best one.

How dumb would he feel if he turned down Buffalo and then in 2 years Ottawa hires someone else?

Not that he would wait (and hope) for the job. More, why wouldn't Ottawa offer him the job before he talked to Buffalo, and if not, why not? And if they did (which is logical), why wouldn't he take it?

I think Buffalo is a better opportunity and don't fault him for moving. Just seemed very weird that he moved and no one in the media wondered (aloud) why he didn't stay/get the Ottawa job.

IMO

Postgames

Does Lee always do the postgames by himself now or is it just because it such a late broadcast. I thought of Saturday Simmer would of stayed but it sounds like he's gone and I know the other day Todd White only did the pregame.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Does Lee always do the postgames by himself now or is it just because it such a late broadcast. I thought of Saturday Simmer would of stayed but it sounds like he's gone and I know the other day Todd White only did the pregame.

Still paying dues?

Most likely it's because of the late starts. He deserves more airtime.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Still paying dues?

Most likely it's because of the late starts. He deserves more airtime.

Versage is one of the best there. Yeah, you can say he has grating voice and the Bickersons things can get old with Mendes, but he has a near encyclopedic knowledge of sports on the station. Can talk NFL, CFL, Junior/AHL, NHL...I have no idea why he hasn't been picked up by a larger station. Pretty genial guy too!

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Lee also does color commentary for home 67s games on Rogers. Dude is always working.

He's got a face for radio.

Why doesn't TSN1200 play The Reporters show anymore on sundays?

While at work it is a nice change to everything NFL that is on for hours non stop..

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
He's got a face for radio.

Why doesn't TSN1200 play The Reporters show anymore on sundays?

While at work it is a nice change to everything NFL that is on for hours non stop..

Sometimes Steve Simmons is a knob, but I used to enjoy listening to The Reporters too.

Poor Versage. Literally does everything they ask of him, and even had his own show as a co-host for a while (a once-a-week Redblacks show doesn't count), only to get pushed out by Ian and Simmer.

I'd stick him on In The Box and leave him there. His knowledge for junior hockey in particular is massive, but it's his ability to talk fairly intelligently about all sports that makes him an asset to the station. I could listen to him daily.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Versage is one of the best there. Yeah, you can say he has grating voice and the Bickersons things can get old with Mendes, but he has a near encyclopedic knowledge of sports on the station. Can talk NFL, CFL, Junior/AHL, NHL...I have no idea why he hasn't been picked up by a larger station. Pretty genial guy too!

I like Versage. The show he used to have with Phil "Showdog" Melanson was quite bad, but that was because Showdog just was not good.

And I think Versage's value is in his versatility - they really can stick him into any sports broadcast and he comes across as knowing something about the sport in question.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I like Versage. The show he used to have with Phil "Showdog" Melanson was quite bad, but that was because Showdog just was not good.

And I think Versage's value is in his versatility - they really can stick him into any sports broadcast and he comes across as knowing something about the sport in question.

Been saying this for a long time. He knows more about "sports" than most on the station but loses out to the jocks.

I have the perfect idea. Give Leever a show, 1- 4 on Saturdays about the NHL. News from the past week and the up coming games of the night. Have a hell of a lot of interviews. I can't tell you how many times I switch the dial to 1310 am and hear NHL talk much of the afternoon. They also talk a lot about the Raptors which i do enjoy.

TSN is really dropping the ball not having a national NHL show to at least compete with Hockey central at noon.

IMO

Been saying this for a long time. He knows more about "sports" than most on the station but loses out to the jocks.

I have the perfect idea. Give Leever a show, 1- 4 on Saturdays about the NHL. News from the past week and the up coming games of the night. Have a hell of a lot of interviews. I can't tell you how many times I switch the dial to 1310 am and hear NHL talk much of the afternoon. They also talk a lot about the Raptors which i do enjoy.

I don't think Leever has the time for a Saturday afternoon show esp if it's live with the 67 commitment. Wonder if he or AJ once he get's back will be used more on "in the Box". Love Todd White but not thrilled with CJ. At first I liked him but now he is rather drab and a bit his opinion is the right one.

Should be interesting with Leever doing the Drive all week with Panda being off. Sometimes he tries to hard to prove himself to Simmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->