The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Dean Brown's schtick is so old and tired that it was in fact never new.
its fascinating to me that you can clearly tell that self-important ass thinks he's the ****.
its so embarassing.
"hey let me tell a marginally interesting story in a boring way, then repeat it 15 times because im so smart and everyone else is so dumb they wont get it."

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their ineptitude. Conversely, highly skilled individuals tend to underestimate their relative competence, erroneously assuming that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others.[1]

please tell me that doesnt encapsulate Dean Brown on the radio.

that leads me to this:

http://ottawacitizen.com/life/style...ers-are-among-ottawas-most-amusing-characters

i mean can you believe that, seriously CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT??
can you imagine the author of that article sitting back reading it over and pumping his first "nailed it!"

So sick and tired of Dean and his windbaggy buffoonery.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I really enjoyed Simmer on the pre game show when Dean Brown went into a sycophantic frenzy, bashing the old coach, heaping praise on the new coach and Bryan Murray.
Simmer brought him down to earth a few times but once launched on his brown nosing extravaganza Brown was not to be deterred.

i was hoping simmer would really get into it with him, but i think he realized it wasn't worth it and to just let dean deflate on his own.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
its fascinating to me that you can clearly tell that self-important ass thinks he's the ****.
its so embarassing.
"hey let me tell a marginally interesting story in a boring way, then repeat it 15 times because im so smart and everyone else is so dumb they wont get it."

that leads me to this:

http://ottawacitizen.com/life/style...ers-are-among-ottawas-most-amusing-characters

can you imagine the author of that article sitting back reading it over and pumping his first "nailed it!"

Agreed. but it seems like their "humour" has an appreciative audience.
The author of that piece thinks they're hilarious!

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Agreed. but it seems like their "humour" has an appreciative audience.
The author of that piece thinks they're hilarious!

Brown loves puns and wordplay. He refers to Blackhawks player Johnny Oduya as “How do you Du-ya.†In Brown-speak, Hawks center Marcus Kruger is “Freddy,†a reference to the Nightmare On Elm Street villain Freddy Krueger.

just brilliant:laugh:

:shakehead

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Gord Wilson surprised Phillips is scratched.
Thought Wiercioch looked slow. Haha
Really annoying hearing these idiots defend Phillips. News flash to Ottawa media: Chris Phillips is our worst defenceman, has been terrible for a long time, and has single handedly cost us games. .
You're not fooling anyone.

Wier needs experience. Phillips need to go home.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
its so embarassing.

that leads me to this:

That sums Dean Brown up quite nicely I think. He's one of those people that use two words when one is a better choice.

IT just seems like he talks down to people, even those who have had actual jobs in the NHL.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
I've always liked Dean during Sens TV broadcasts and on CBC, but his radio works is chalk-full of time not spent telling me about the play. Maybe I just notice it more now that he is radio exclusive.

That has to hurt too. I imagine he is making a fair amount less now that he is 99% radio. I feel for him there.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
They don't talk sports. Best Ian, by example, can do is to take 5 minutes to announce that next hour they will have person X as a guest and they'll talk about (whatever). He references it again two or three time until they are on.

Funny enough, as he asks his questions he manages to give the appropriate answer in his shtick. Just sucks the life out of the radio... Most of them are the same way. I listen to 690 - they actually talk informed sports. I turn back for certain segments (Pierre) but that's it

Most of the 1200 guys are just not talented enough to carry the show. Certainly the "lead" personalities like Ian, JR, Steve, etc

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yes, the jingles are horrible, but maybe, just maybe if TSN1200 maybe had 30 minutes of commercials an hour instead of 45, then they wouldn't be as annoying...

OK, who am I kidding, they are horrible. Main point is more sports talk and less annoying commercials.

Look at the length of the show podcasts, or the audio segments on the webpage. Without commercials they're all between 30 and 42 minutes long. The morning show usually having the most commercials.

There are more commercials on radio than tv, depending on the timeslot, which makes sense since radio commercial time doesn't cost as much as television slots.

That's just life. Don't want to pay for radio? Deal with commercials.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Well come on then, elaborate a little.
Simmer?

It's unbelievable how stupid he makes himself sound all of the time. He has no intelligence outside of hockey or the small bubble he lives in. This guy just doesn't take his job seriously and it shows. Good on him finding someone to pay him for not improving but holy ****, where's the Tylenol.

Last edited:

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Holy crap. Is this the dean brown show? Man does he love to talk. On and on and on. Ask him a yes no question he will give you 10 mins of annoying drivel. Can't stand this guy now. My god.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Holy crap. Is this the dean brown show? Man does he love to talk. On and on and on. Ask him a yes no question he will give you 10 mins of annoying drivel. Can't stand this guy now. My god.

He loves the sound of his own voice. He'll endlessly elaborate on the most obvious of points, as if he needs to explain to a simple minded audience that ice is indeed quite cold.

I can't stand Dean on the pregame show. It's usually pretty good up until the point where he shows up and talks down to everyone.

Its such a shame that AJ didn't get the job.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Gord Wilson surprised Phillips is scratched.
Thought Wiercioch looked slow. Haha
Really annoying hearing these idiots defend Phillips. News flash to Ottawa media: Chris Phillips is our worst defenceman, has been terrible for a long time, and has single handedly cost us games. .
You're not fooling anyone.

Wier needs experience. Phillips need to go home.

There all his buddies and id imagine the younger guys on the team have no time for these old media guys who haven't tied a set of laces in like 15-20 years/extremely out of shape giving them advice.

We need a youth movement in the Ottawa media, said it before seems everyone who covers this team is over 50, would love a slightly younger look at the game from the official media from time to time....like what pretty much all of the bloggers bring to the table.

Only guy i can think of off the top of my head is AJ, would love to hear more from him on a daily basis.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
These Stuntman Stu with his wife radio commercials make me want to kill myself. Actually, anytime I hear Stu I want to do that. His Greco commercials are terribad.

IMO

Lee Versage

I asked this before but didn't get an answer has Lee Versage left tsn1200? He hasn't been on in probably a month. It reminds me of Dave Gross before he left, he was just off then never came back.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I asked this before but didn't get an answer has Lee Versage left tsn1200? He hasn't been on in probably a month. It reminds me of Dave Gross before he left, he was just off then never came back.
My understanding is that he is on vacation for a couple of weeks and will be back.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
We need a youth movement in the Ottawa media, said it before seems everyone who covers this team is over 50, would love a slightly younger look at the game from the official media from time to time....like what pretty much all of the bloggers bring to the table.

Only guy i can think of off the top of my head is AJ, would love to hear more from him on a daily basis.

I agree. They had a Sunday segment with Creech and I think the 6th Sens guy...called Sunday Foibles or whatever, which was pretty good. I'd listen to them over anyone at the station.

Last Friday was awful. Four hours on the KHL and didn't learn a single thing except Simmer did dial-a-date and this other schmuck played there. Brutal stuff.

sens45

Feb 10, 2010
My understanding is that he is on vacation for a couple of weeks and will be back.

Is this what he normally does when on a month long vaycay?

w02ejc.jpg

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Nothing like listening to a live internet search by Mendes and Stevenson for tickets to tomorrow's Canada/US game!!

Cmon Mendes, you are slipping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad