The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I will never ever set foot in that morganti menswear place because of those god awful commercials.

They're almost as bad as the car commercials with that annoying chick that giggles constantly

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I will never ever set foot in that morganti menswear place because of those god awful commercials.

They're almost as bad as the car commercials with that annoying chick that giggles constantly

What do you have against Domenic? :laugh:

In the same respect, I will never go to Rust Check again.

So, about Matt Bradley. He is slowly learning the ropes on the Sens broadcasts, and I'm hoping he can bring more opinion and substance in the future. He's pretty vanilla and goes with the popular opinion, considering he's a former NHL'er.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

So, about Matt Bradley. He is slowly learning the ropes on the Sens broadcasts, and I'm hoping he can bring more opinion and substance in the future. He's pretty vanilla and goes with the popular opinion, considering he's a former NHL'er.

Yeah he has potential. Its nice to have these NHL local boys coming to the radio station, it always adds credibility to the broadcast.

Listening to the pregame show now . . . dean brown is such a buffoon.

Ok im done whining now. lol

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Yeah he has potential. Its nice to have these NHL local boys coming to the radio station, it always adds credibility to the broadcast.

Listening to the pregame show now . . . dean brown is such a buffoon.

Ok im done whining now. lol

I've been listening to a ton of Sens radio broadcasts lately and ya I tend to agree. He's just so... casual isn't the word for it... but it's like he knows he's on local radio and becomes weirdly sarcastic and silly.

Same with the actual braodcast, they go on their random story sessions about something irrelevant when you can hear the play going on in the background.

Sometimes though, listening to the game on radio, you get tidbits or actual pertinent stories that you don't get from the guys on TSN, because Dean and Gord travel with the team on a daily basis. So that's a plus.

Dean is still great when he is calling an intense game, like the St. Louis game or a playoff game. Wish he'd just stick to that.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

The spots i have heard him he seems to be fitting decently....slightly off topic but a show with a host i dread OTR was on whilst i was doing things at my place last night and he had on two former NHL fighters.....WOW these guys did not do themselves or hockey fighters any favours in general.....it was two guys who fit the vintage idea of what a hockey fighter is all about to a T, some of there beliefs/thoughts made me cringe.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Overall I find the morning segment really disappointing. It could be much better but the individuals involved seem to have their own distorted sense of what good sports radio content should be. I doubt anything will change with JR in charge.
I've decided to stop listening entirely as the content is simply not compelling enough to endure the endless updates and repetitive commercials.
I knew it was time when I started humming one the commercial songs and realized this was the only memorable item from the morning segment.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
I can only listen to Simmer at & and Pierre on TGOR. It is "relevant" hockey content compared to the rest of the program. Most of TGOR is boring banter and filler. Hockey Central at noon on 1310 is a good option later in the day.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I can only listen to Simmer at & and Pierre on TGOR. It is "relevant" hockey content compared to the rest of the program. Most of TGOR is boring banter and filler. Hockey Central at noon on 1310 is a good option later in the day.

Gotta say, as much as Simmer annoys the heck out of me, I used to actually enjoy the Simmer at 7 segment. However, now its dry the same discussion over and over. Not sure how many times we need to hear his takes on Mika or Bobby Ryan. Pretty sure he repeats "bringing up Pageau and Wideman" on a weekly basis. They used to actually discuss other games from previous nights, but now they seem to be in such a time crunch for commercials, that the segments are very rushed.

I also find that having a co-host from the station have his own segment on another show very unimaginative. Let Simmer keep his takes for his own show. Maybe have Matt Bradley have an "NHL insider" segment on TGOR.

BTW, Dean Roberts 7:00 update was 6 minutes long, the fist TGOR segment for the 7:00 hour lasted 3 minutes. I think that is a problem...

IMO

Would rather hear Steve and Simmer than JR and Steve. Simmer belongs on TGOR. Leever and Mindy FTW.

I disagree. Although I don't mind Lee and Ian together. Shawn's TGOR personality is too much for me. All he did this morning was make fun of the Hammer and Steve or try to get them into inappropriate conversations. When Shawn talks just hockey or even sports in general he's very good at his job; however, when he tries to be "the man's man" it get's annoying. Of course as I think I said it before I'm sure my perspective as lady listener is a little more sensitive to Shawn's comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I disagree. Although I don't mind Lee and Ian together. Shawn's TGOR personality is too much for me. All he did this morning was make fun of the Hammer and Steve or try to get them into inappropriate conversations. When Shawn talks just hockey or even sports in general he's very good at his job; however, when he tries to be "the man's man" it get's annoying. Of course as I think I said it before I'm sure my perspective as lady listener is a little more sensitive to Shawn's comments.

IMO it's JR who carries Steve Warne on TGOR. Heavily.

Warne sounds slightly awkward as a main host.

I like JR. Was always my favourite guy on TGOR.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What I like about Ian and Lee together is that Ian is able to speak more freely when discussing SPORTS. What ever he brings up Lee can either debate it or elaborate on it. With Simmer it is like his job is to teach Ian what really goes on so Ian will be better off for it. It must be frustrating not being able to cover different subjects without the "expert" always knowing the answer.

As for an insider, what does that even mean in regards to simmers takes?

Bobby Mac is an insider. Pierre Mac and Pierre Lebrun are insiders. Simmer is just a talking head.

Also, the Lebrun segment is way too short. 10 minutes? What happened to the power hour? It was my favorite part of the Drive.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Gotta say, as much as Simmer annoys the heck out of me, I used to actually enjoy the Simmer at 7 segment. However, now its dry the same discussion over and over. Not sure how many times we need to hear his takes on Mika or Bobby Ryan. Pretty sure he repeats "bringing up Pageau and Wideman" on a weekly basis.

Right on cue, Simmer at 7 this morning included a Mika out/Pageau in discussion for about the 9th day in a row. This was followed by Simmer reading his tweets from earlier this morning. Man, for a guy who should be hosting a radio show, he sure tweets a heck of a lot during the show.

IMO

Ok, I tried to bite my tongue and just accept Simmer for what he is but I am the only one sick of him criticizing everyone else's appearance? We all know he loves to brag about his "Greco" lifestyle but he's not exactly Adonis. He criticize everyone from Hammer and Steve's to taking shots at Marty Brouder for putting on some weight. Really! Sorry, just had to get it off my chest, I will stop beating the dead horse. Shawn if you read this board, please stick to hockey you are very good at that, stop judging everyone appearance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Ok, I tried to bite my tongue and just accept Simmer for what he is but I am the only one sick of him criticizing everyone else's appearance? We all know he loves to brag about his "Greco" lifestyle but he's not exactly Adonis. He criticize everyone from Hammer and Steve's to taking shots at Marty Brouder for putting on some weight. Really! Sorry, just had to get it off my chest, I will stop beating the dead horse. Shawn if you read this board, please stick to hockey you are very good at that, stop judging everyone appearance.

I haven't seen anyone outside Simmer wearing that beret/golf hat as a fashion accessory in over 20 years. To be fair to the man Simmer was pretty good today with Pierre McGuire until he dropped a massive brain fart comparing Markus Naslund to Nail Yakupov. Pierre seemed totally confused and tried to keep it on the rails though, to his credit.

The afternoon show has been miles better without Simmer. Lee "Sportsclopedia" Versage and Ian "Silky Smooth" Mendes are a fantastic pair. Think they had AJ Jakubec in there too, he's better than Simmer too. I know "better than Simmer" is a low bar, but the drive show is better without him.

senility

May 23, 2005
TSN 1200 podcast help

Hi all. I'm rather ashamed to admit it, but I haven't been able to download TSN 1200 podcasts since the TSN takeover. I can stream them fine, but since they shut down the autopod site, I haven't been able to download them as MP3s. You can get them for other TSN stations here: http://www2.tsn.ca/podcasts/, but not yet for TSN 1200. Are they really not available or am I just an idiot? Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks a lot!

senility

May 23, 2005
Thanks. I saw that and even went as far as to try some random numbers to see what else might come up, but you'd think there would be a place you could go to access it all.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
All of team 1200 was in full out damage control and running interference for Sens
management today, but surprisingly Ian Mendes topped them all as brown noser of the day.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Bobby Mac is an insider. Pierre Mac and Pierre Lebrun are insiders. Simmer is just a talking head.

I do not believe for a second that Pierre McGuire is an "insider".

Have you ever heard him leak a story that actually came true?

On Bobby Mac -- I've always wondered how he established his contacts inside the league. What's his history before broadcasting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad