The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I do not believe for a second that Pierre McGuire is an "insider".

Have you ever heard him leak a story that actually came true?

On Bobby Mac -- I've always wondered how he established his contacts inside the league. What's his history before broadcasting?

I think he talks to a lot of people around the league face to face from covering so many games. He is more of an insider than Simmer. Funny how when Simmer is on in the morning talking to pierre he insists on talking half of the time.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
Gord Wilson was on TSN 1050 in Toronto gamenight show and was asked about whether the budget had anything to do with it:

GW: 'As an outsider, No. There are tweaks to the D system that can be made.....

Like he's an outsider

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I think he talks to a lot of people around the league face to face from covering so many games. He is more of an insider than Simmer. Funny how when Simmer is on in the morning talking to pierre he insists on talking half of the time.

Yes but 1/2 is the time he takes to formulate the question. Often I wonder if there is even a question in there. It's a surprise when the guest can find one.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I do not believe for a second that Pierre McGuire is an "insider".

Have you ever heard him leak a story that actually came true?

On Bobby Mac -- I've always wondered how he established his contacts inside the league. What's his history before broadcasting?

Wiki:
Previous to joining TSN, McKenzie was editor-in-chief of The Hockey News for nine years and a hockey columnist for The Toronto Star for six years.

No idea what he did prior to that. Guess you gotta buy his book(s?) to find out ;)

Re: Pierre, don't kid yourself. Guy might have burned a few bridges, but he knows what goes on in the league. He has a ton of informal 1 on 1 talks with players and coaches.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
All of team 1200 was in full out damage control and running interference for Sens
management today, but surprisingly Ian Mendes topped them all as brown noser of the day.

AJ was pretty cut and dry in his comments IMO. Did a good job of calling it as it is. Was glad to have him on the show today. Guy is opinionated and isn't afraid to express himself. Ian usually just plays Devil's Advocate. (is that supposed to be capitalized?)

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
AJ was pretty cut and dry in his comments IMO. Did a good job of calling it as it is. Was glad to have him on the show today. Guy is opinionated and isn't afraid to express himself. Ian usually just plays Devil's Advocate. (is that supposed to be capitalized?)

Pretty much how I see it too. That's why I appreciate AJ so much, and to a lesser extent Simpson.

IMO

All of team 1200 was in full out damage control and running interference for Sens
management today, but surprisingly Ian Mendes topped them all as brown noser of the day.

It's because his part time job is with the Sens, he's not going to risk that. That's what I don't like about he and Gord Wilson doing work for the Sens too they become to bias.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It's because his part time job is with the Sens, he's not going to risk that. That's what I don't like about he and Gord Wilson doing work for the Sens too they become to bias.

Ottawa is a small town where hockey is the one big sport. What happens if one of these radio guys or reporters ask too many hard questions and piss of the Ottawa Senators?

They will get boycotted by the team, become limited to interviewing football and soccer players and be out of a job within a year.

Its unfortunate, but its just the way it is.

IMO

Where's Lee or AJ

Yes, it was great that Shawn Simpson came in this morning for TGOR, but where are Lee or AJ to do the Drive. Cannot stand Bruce Garrioch. Lee been MIA for bit now hope he wasn't a casualty of the Bell Media cuts. AJ been doing the pre and post games.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Wiki:

No idea what he did prior to that. Guess you gotta buy his book(s?) to find out ;)

Bob's family owned The Hockey News, as I recall. He started out in Sault Ste. Marie at the local paper, the Sault Star. Was a news reporter briefly, then went to sports and was the OHL beat writer, busing all over Ontario with the Greyhounds. He truly loved hockey, and worked the beat very, very hard. He really does know everybody in hockey.

stigs17

Dec 3, 2005
JR did an excellent job in addressing the 1200 issues.

Ditch deadbeat Jerome - done.
Ditch conversation-killer Stu - done.
Ditch flaky York - done.
Ditch dbag Gross - done.

Ottawa deserves quality sports radio.

Mendes and Simpson are solid. List of contacts is top-notch.

Weakest link at the station is small-minded Steve, but he does all the lame ads & Sat AM infomercials, thus a clear hanger-oner.

Why is Stu's equally poor wife doing 70% of the TSN ads?

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Why is Stu's equally poor wife doing 70% of the TSN ads?

Stu's wife is even more annoying then that giggle girl who does the car commercials.

Harsh, shrill voice . . . forced. Trying way to hard to sound all radio like. Kinda the female version of male radio guys who sound like strip club DJs.

Nepotism at work.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Eric Macremella and Steve Warne - TSN1200 at its finest!

Very painful to listen to.

JR today with the extreme sick voice, not sure why they feel that's a good idea to roll out....had to change it up this morning because nobody at work can take that for 3 hours

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Don Brennan has been on Karlssons case all morning. He said that Ryan says he had a good relationship with Maclean and Don believed him ( so do I).
He also said Kalrsson said the same thing but he doubts him because of Murray's stupid reference to star players being unhappy,which put a bulls eye on Karlsson. Also because Don has been on Erik's case ever since he didn't get the divorce interview.

He called him a coach killer, but Pierre McGuire and said that he was not a coach killer because he didn't complain to the press.

Gah...This is just going to be a field day for Don Brennan and anyone and everyone who has a bone to pick with Karlsson. But at least it was successful in deflecting the blame for what a lot of the league thinks was a stupid and unfair firing from management and ownership and onto a player.

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
I don't like to rag on members of the media, but I really dislike Brennan. You're right, his agenda over EK is obvious. I haven't listened to it in a while, but I will say the pre-game show was quite funny last night as I think it was Matt Bradley(?) who was just laying into him at every opportunity "turn his microphone off" etc.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Simpson completely sucked the life out of the post-game show after a really good game from the Sens. I'm liking AJ a lot these days, his takes are good whether they are positive or negative. AJ barely had a chance to even say anything will all of Simpson's pontificating.

I've grown very weary of "Simmer", not much substance there at all. When he first started I found him refreshing as he was only on for ten minutes. That seems to mirror his career, he makes a good first impression, sounds intelligent, but after a while you realize there's nothing else underneath.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Dean Brown dropped at least 10 'Shake it off' references during the broadcast and it wasn't funny once. Dude is so bad at his job its crazy. Give me Schriebs or AJ 11/10 times.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Simpson completely sucked the life out of the post-game show after a really good game from the Sens. I'm liking AJ a lot these days, his takes are good whether they are positive or negative. AJ barely had a chance to even say anything will all of Simpson's pontificating.

I've grown very weary of "Simmer", not much substance there at all. When he first started I found him refreshing as he was only on for ten minutes. That seems to mirror his career, he makes a good first impression, sounds intelligent, but after a while you realize there's nothing else underneath.

I really enjoyed Simmer on the pre game show when Dean Brown went into a sycophantic frenzy, bashing the old coach, heaping praise on the new coach and Bryan Murray.
Simmer brought him down to earth a few times but once launched on his brown nosing extravaganza Brown was not to be deterred.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Dean Brown dropped at least 10 'Shake it off' references during the broadcast and it wasn't funny once. Dude is so bad at his job its crazy. Give me Schriebs or AJ 11/10 times.

I finally had the pleasure (sarcasm) to listen to portions of Saturday's game on the radio. These clowns calling the game are way too comfortable in their jobs. You would think Dean Brown getting dropped from HNIC would be a bit of a wake up call for him, but no, the Gord and Dean Clown show continues on TSN1200.

When you go stretches of a minute or two discussing nothing, trying to make yourself laugh, while the game is going on, you are not pleasing your listeners.

CALL THE GAME BOYS! NOBODY FINDS YOU FUNNY!

On a side note, Simmer at 7 today - we got Simmers' analysis on the mumps.

GREAT RADIO!

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
I don't even turn on the radio anymore. No point listening to any of them.

Totally agree.
Used to listen during my morning workout but now it is simply intolerable.
Still don't understand why they can't emulate the Fan590 model of sports talk radio. Instead they talk about the details of their unremarkable lives and spend an inordinate amount of time with stupid trivia contests.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I really enjoyed Simmer on the pre game show when Dean Brown went into a sycophantic frenzy, bashing the old coach, heaping praise on the new coach and Bryan Murray.
Simmer brought him down to earth a few times but once launched on his brown nosing extravaganza Brown was not to be deterred.

Always get a laugh when Dean is on the radio and goes on a tangent speaking faster and faster and faster and louder and louder and louder! I always think of Wonka from the boat scene from the original Charlie and the Chocalate Factory film with Gene Wilder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad