The Official Nutrition Thread - Tips, Recommendations, Current Diets

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
I am looking to start working out to gain muscle as I am skinny - I have a crazy fast metabolism, so I can eat like crap and not gain anything.

What foods/meal plans should I target the most? I don't want to put in the dedication of working out if I am not eating the proper foods to help me achieve my goal of gaining muscle mass.

Simple meals such as chicken breast and than vegetables as sides kind of thing? If there is a thread better suited for this then I'd love to be redirected there so I can get some knowledge on what I should eat and do to help me.

I am 22 years old so just need simple meal plans that don't necessarily cost a lot.

Protein, protein, protein and protein.

Chicken breast are cheap and full of them. Eats eggs like there's no tomorrow. Cottage cheese, greek yogout, canned tuna.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Protein, protein, protein and protein.

Chicken breast are cheap and full of them. Eats eggs like there's no tomorrow. Cottage cheese, greek yogout, canned tuna.

As someone who used to be in that poster's position, and was trying to get out of it for a long time... Calories are more important than protein. (I do eat a ton of protein tho, but the differences really started to come with the calories)

I know that guy posted awhile ago but calorie counting and eating a ton is the way to go, along with a good gym plan.

I had trouble eating 3500-4000 cals a day until I found this one method online, and it's been a godsend.

6 meals a day, between 500-700 cals each. Might take a bit for your body to get used to it but once it does it's a breeze. That plan I found online was a healthy bulk but I've been straight dirty bulking, eating whatever as long as it fits in those calorie parameters.

You might not have the time to do that so research some other bulking methods until you find one that's do-able.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I buy bulk of whatever is on sale at one of the 3 nearby stores I go to. Then I figure out what to make/how to cook it later.

Pretty much. I live off of extra lean ground beef/chicken breasts/lean ground turkey for the most part. Stock up on the cheapest one.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Pretty much. I live off of extra lean ground beef/chicken breasts/lean ground turkey for the most part. Stock up on the cheapest one.

Sometimes a decent cut of steak is on sale, or back ribs, or good bone-in pork chops. Just gotta to know where/when to look. Chicken Thighs are the best though for poultry, so juicy and BBQ up so well with a quick marinade.

Quick note on ground meat, the leaner it is, the more expensive it is. I am not concerned with fat content at all, so a lb of regular ground beef or "regular" lean is a more affordable option.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Sometimes a decent cut of steak is on sale, or back ribs, or good bone-in pork chops. Just gotta to know where/when to look. Chicken Thighs are the best though for poultry, so juicy and BBQ up so well with a quick marinade.

Quick note on ground meat, the leaner it is, the more expensive it is. I am not concerned with fat content at all, so a lb of regular ground beef or "regular" lean is a more affordable option.

It varies. I think the cheapest right now at my store for this week is extra lean ground.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
What took me so long to discover the power of Greek Yogurt???

It is amazing. The protein content kicks ass, low on the carbs, fat and calories. And it's delicious! Took me a couple tries to get used to the less sweet, more tangy taste compared to regular yogurt, but throw some fresh berries in there and it is seriously fantastic.

Also great mixed with protein powder, nothing else needed! Maybe a little water to thin the texture, but that's it.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada

It is amazing. The protein content kicks ass, low on the carbs, fat and calories. And it's delicious! Took me a couple tries to get used to the less sweet, more tangy taste compared to regular yogurt, but throw some fresh berries in there and it is seriously fantastic.

Also great mixed with protein powder, nothing else needed! Maybe a little water to thin the texture, but that's it.

What took you so long was that your mind and viewpoints were influenced by the advice of other forums, blogs, and websites...when all you really needed was the one true, direct and honest source of fitness advice, here on HFBoards Fitness.

We are your bros, trust in us.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Now one up on that and go for Skyr, more proteins, less sugar, better taste.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
So im trying to get out of bad habits and stop drinking sugary drinks...i hate coffee and typically go for a monster energy drink that says it has zero cals, carbs, sugars, but it clearly has to have other sweetners and fake sugars.

Any recommendations on something other then water that may help boost energy, and wake me up in the morning :D

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
So im trying to get out of bad habits and stop drinking sugary drinks...i hate coffee and typically go for a monster energy drink that says it has zero cals, carbs, sugars, but it clearly has to have other sweetners and fake sugars.

Any recommendations on something other then water that may help boost energy, and wake me up in the morning :D

Tea?

Or maybe getting enough sleep... if you get a solid 7-8 there really isn't a need for caffeine in the morning I don't think. Most people it's just a habit like you said.

Sugar is bad, artificial sweeteners are arguably worse. Especially if consumed every day.

Really dont need that much protein..

Who, how much?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Most ppl. Its an unpopular point of view these days with bros and marketing companies trying to sell you various proteins.

<200 g a day is unnecessary and a waste of money.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Most ppl. Its an unpopular point of view these days with bros and marketing companies trying to sell you various proteins.

<200 g a day is unnecessary and a waste of money.

200g is a lot. I strive for 100g minimum, on days I use protein powder and go to the gym I'm closer to 130-140g. Not sure who gave you the idea they were going for 200+.

But since increasing my protein intake, I have lost more weight and noticed a difference in the gym, too. Just not increasing it to crazy levels.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Lots and lots of dudes go for <200.
Youre already in the low end so yeah def more than 100 will.make a big difference.
140-160 probably make a difference too. But theres def diminishing returns to that philosophy.

The difference between 180 and 220 is basically nothing. Especially if you consider the costs and effort to get that much extra day in day out.

Franky

Sep 7, 2017
I stopped drinking soft drinks and have one smoothie in the morning made of fresh fruits and water without any sugar. They are so tasty, I especially like Mango, banana and spinach. I put a bit of Chia in it. I love it so far and do not crave soft drinks as much as I did before.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
How much red meat are you guys eating?

Fair bit.

I cook in bulk. Maybe only twice a week. Either a big batch of chicken or a big batch of pork/beef. Pork more often because it's usually cheaper and a variety of cuts. I try to get fish in there like Salmon, but only if it's on sale it's usually quite expensive like $3-4/100g. If fish is on sale I'll get it in there somewhere.

For example:

Sunday: Cook 3-4 servings of Pork Chops
Monday: Eat Pork Chops
Tuesday: Eat Pork Chops
Wednesday: Cook 3-4 servings of Chicken, Usually legs/thighs/drumsticks
Thursday: Eat Chicken
Friday: Eat Chicken/Go out
Saturday: Eat Chicken/Go out

Repeat

None in the last 18 years or so...

Preference of health reasons?

Ad