Speculation: The Official Horrible Trade Proposals Thread: Part 2, Have a Drink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't think we'll ever find common ground between Sabres fans and Canes fans on an ROR proposal, which is fine. From what I can tell, Sabres fans are looking for Hanifin++ (in some cases, I've seen Hanifin+Necas as an ask). Some Canes fans think Hanifin alone is a tough pill to swallow.

Hard to close a gap like that with extra pieces.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I'd have to imagine Lindholm would be heading their way in a deal for ROR (if they believe Lindholm could be a full time C). Hanifin + Lindholm for ROR + Lehner, with a pick or two to balance. Preference would obviously be Hanifin + Rask, but I don't think that'll cut it.

As much as I'd like to have ROR, and I don't think having ROR + JStaal is an issue, it just feels like we really might have the C problem taken care of in house already. Any major move we make at this point should be for a legit G, which is the only scenario I'm somewhat ok with moving Skinner.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
An idea I've been kicking around in my head recently

Carolina Trades

Justin Faulk
Scott Darling

Edmonton Trades

Milan Lucic
Cam Talbot

For Carolina, it instantly adds toughness, and gives Necas a decent linemate/protector. It's also kinda/sorta/not really an upgrade in net. It rids us of Darling's contract (although taking on Lucic's). For Edmonton, it rids them of Lucic's contract, and adds that elusive RHD they've been clamoring for. Although they downgrade in net, Darling's contract is more livable for them than Lucic. Was thinking about adding Rask & RNH in there somehow, but it got too complicated.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
I

Carolina Trades

Justin Faulk
Scott Darling

Edmonton Trades

Milan Lucic
Cam Talbot

For Carolina, it instantly adds toughness, and gives Necas a decent linemate/protector. It's also kinda/sorta/not really an upgrade in net. It rids us of Darling's contract (although taking on Lucic's). For Edmonton, it rids them of Lucic's contract, and adds that elusive RHD they've been clamoring for. Although they downgrade in net, Darling's contract is more livable for them than Lucic. Was thinking about adding Rask & RNH in there somehow, but it got too complicated.
I doubt we want any part of the lucic contract. It's pretty bad and long. Talbot didn't play his best last season and we don't need to trade a project for another project without having a rock hard starter in net, especially trading Faulk for said pieces.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Carolina Trades

Justin Faulk
Scott Darling

Edmonton Trades

Milan Lucic
Cam Talbot

I'd take Lucic back in trade with the Oilers for some pieces, but not this one.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
So apparently our GM is prepared to do something incredibly stupid and get rid of ROR (who is only among the best two way players in the league) because "he's not a winner" (and you all know just how well that worked out for Edmonton when they got rid of "loser" Taylor Hall). What would you guys be willing to give up that wouldn't be completely bending us over (also keep in mind we'd be paying almost his entire salary via the $7 million bonus he is due on July 1st, which is why he will not be traded before July 1st)?

I’d like to see a Faulk based trade for ROR and a Skinner based trade for Hjalmarson.

Aho - ROR - Svechnikov
TT - Necas - Lindholm
McGinn - Staal - Williams
Foegele - Rask - Martinook

Slavin - Pesce
Hanifin - Hammer
Fluery - TVR

????
Darling

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I don't want to go to the trade board with this and start a brawl, but I wonder if it would be possible to get Gibson out of Anaheim. He'll make 3.3 mil next year before hitting RFA... I doubt the ducks want to get rid of him but if we sent them Skinner+ a sweetener... don't know what it would be. I don't really want to see Skinner go but that would be the kind of trade I think would be worth it.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I don't think we'll ever find common ground between Sabres fans and Canes fans on an ROR proposal, which is fine. From what I can tell, Sabres fans are looking for Hanifin++ (in some cases, I've seen Hanifin+Necas as an ask). Some Canes fans think Hanifin alone is a tough pill to swallow.

Hard to close a gap like that with extra pieces.

Yeah, that's likely the case....oh, and I ventured into that horrible Montreal trade proposal thread....my goodness.....there really aren't any words.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
RoR getting two former top 5 picks is insane to me.
Counterpoint: Griffin Reinhart and MDC were both top 5 picks. Just being a top 5 pick doesn't mean much if a guy hasn't panned out at that level.

As for any trade I think you would have to give up Hanifin+ and the reason for the plus is that I believe we would be paying almost all his salary with the July 1st bonus and his yearly salary is very low (essentially from what I understand he is basically getting paid up front via the bonus). That would have to be factored into his value.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Counterpoint: Griffin Reinhart and MDC were both top 5 picks. Just being a top 5 pick doesn't mean much if a guy hasn't panned out at that level.

As for any trade I think you would have to give up Hanifin+ and the reason for the plus is that I believe we would be paying almost all his salary with the July 1st bonus and his yearly salary is very low (essentially from what I understand he is basically getting paid up front via the bonus). That would have to be factored into his value.

Counter, counter point. Griffin Reinhart and MDC are 24 and 21 years old and have a combined 41 NHL games and a combined 12 points. Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin are 23 and 21 years old and have a combined 613 NHL games and combined 271 points. I get what you are trying to do with respect to being a 5th oa pick, but your comparison doesn't even remotely relate to this situation.

His point is still valid, they are two former 5th OA picks that are solid NHL players that are still young with lots of room to improve as they mature.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Counter, counter point. Griffin Reinhart and MDC are 24 and 21 years old and have a combined 41 NHL games and a combined 12 points. Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin are 23 and 21 years old and have a combined 613 NHL games and combined 271 points. I get what you are trying to do with respect to being a 5th oa pick, but your comparison doesn't even remotely relate to this situation.

His point is still valid, they are two former 5th OA picks that are solid NHL players that are still young with lots of room to improve as they mature.
That's fair. The thing is the only way we should be giving up ROR is if we get an offer we can't refuse (particularly after basically paying him all that money on July 1st). If we just give him up for the hell of it that would be a gigantic Taylor Hall level mistake.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
their offence was terrible, with ror one of the few good pieces at fwrd. He's one of the only bloated contracts on the slugs that's not only moveable , but will actually return something good.

If they're trading him, it's a cost cutting move and/or a move to tank. Like duchene, i think buff fans will be disappointed in what they end up getting if ror is traded.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ignoring the Cap, ROR's contract really isn't that bloated from here on out though, since the worst of it is almost done. He gets $8.5M this year (with $7.5M being paid on 7/1) and then it's $6M / year for the final 4 years. So somebody trading for him after 7/1 will pay only $25M for 5 seasons of play. Even if someone trades before 7/1, they are paying him an average of $6.5M over those 5 years which isn't bad for what he brings.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
their offence was terrible, with ror one of the few good pieces at fwrd. He's one of the only bloated contracts on the slugs that's not only moveable , but will actually return something good.

If they're trading him, it's a cost cutting move and/or a move to tank. Like duchene, i think buff fans will be disappointed in what they end up getting if ror is traded.

Buffalo wouldn't be the first team to make a trade for the sake of changing the makeup of the room and lineup. Calgary traded Phaneuf for a collection of junk at the beginning of the decade. A Philadelphia team 1 year removed from a SCF appearance traded Richards and Carter for packages of lesser young players, prospects and picks. Pittsburgh gave up a 40 goal scorer in Neal for Hornqvist and Spaling.

Teams have a tendency to do stuff that flies in the face of fan logic at times. Carolina looks poised to trade Skinner, despite finishing 23rd in GF, for example. The potential for the Sabres trading O’Reilly for something less than the perfect deal shouldn’t be discounted. Not to say he would be cheap to acquire; he plays a premium position and does it well. The team may not have as much leverage as the fans want to believe. The same applies to us with regards to Skinner as well.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

You've badly misread the situation. The reason we are looking at getting rid of ROR is our GM buying into the awful "losing culture" narrative that leads to terrible mistakes being made. The reason we lose games is because we have a roster consisting largely of bad players and a coach who is unqualified for the job, not some voodoo about culture. We should in no way be moving him unless we got a wacky offer for him that we just couldn't turn down like if Dundon lost his mind and offered us both Hanifin and the #2OA or something.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Ignoring the Cap, ROR's contract really isn't that bloated from here on out though, since the worst of it is almost done. He gets $8.5M this year (with $7.5M being paid on 7/1) and then it's $6M / year for the final 4 years. So somebody trading for him after 7/1 will pay only $25M for 5 seasons of play. Even if someone trades before 7/1, they are paying him an average of $6.5M over those 5 years which isn't bad for what he brings.

The question is how many teams would actually find the structure of his contract more meaningful than his AAV? Arizona, Carolina and Ottawa are the obvious ones.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
You've badly misread the situation. The reason we are looking at getting rid of ROR is our GM buying into the awful "losing culture" narrative that leads to terrible mistakes being made. The reason we lose games is because we have a roster consisting largely of bad players and a coach who is unqualified for the job, not some voodoo about culture. We should in no way be moving him unless we got a wacky offer for him that we just couldn't turn down like if Dundon lost his mind and offered us both Hanifin and the #2OA or something.

I mean, have you considered that Papa Slug isn't going to come out to the media and say, "We want to save money while we tank, and ROR is the only bloated contract that will return assets." ?

But if that is the case, I think the point still stands- that ror isn't going to return what some Sabers fans are insisting.

I don't think Bob Mac would say ror is the most likely to be moved unless it's a plant by Buffalo to try and drum up a bidding war.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I mean, have you considered that Papa Slug isn't going to come out to the media and say, "We want to save money while we tank, and ROR is the only bloated contract that will return assets." ?

But if that is the case, I thibk the point still stands- that ror isn't going to return what some Sabers fans are insisting.
When has Terry Pegulia ever struck anyone as a guy who doesn't want to spend money? I mean, come the f*** on.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
When has Terry Pegulia ever struck anyone as a guy who doesn't want to spend money? I mean, come the **** on.

Why spend money on a guy if the plan is to be bad anyway, when you can trade him, save money and get assets back?

I don't follow the sabres- but unlike Hall for Larsson, RyJo for Jones or Duchene for Girard + futures, Buffalo isn't dealing from a position of strength. Quite the opposite. Their offense was historically bad last year, and one of the three forwards with value, the only matchup center on the roster, is for sale?

I don't know the situation, fair- I guess I just don't see how "culture change" makes any more sense than they're planning to tank.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If the plan was to tank then why did we absolutely NOT TANK this past season? The reason we were so bad was because of a bad roster and a coach who is horrible (other than Dead Weight he is easily the worst in the league). In fact, when everyone bleats on about us tanking the only year we actually did that was the McEichel year and that was the year you had 2 franchise changing players and finishing last assured us of one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad