Music: The Official Hip-Hop Thread: Part VIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

void

Jan 5, 2006
I'm sorry but you guys have no right to trash JEFFREY if Broccoli (!?!?!?!) is your favorite song of the year.

left hand path

Oct 29, 2016
the noname, danny brown, denzel and ka releases are the only ones from this year that i regularly come back to

left hand path

Oct 29, 2016
i liked jefferey a lot the first couple times but i put it on earlier and wasn't feeling it. thug has a lot of potential to do some really cool and interesting **** but i doubt he ever will

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Do you guys like Anderson Paak? I almost always fall asleep if I have to listen to more than one of his songs in a row.

Tried out Yes Lawd, couldn't get past 3 songs. Malibu was better, but still, just doesn't work for me.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Do you guys like Anderson Paak? I almost always fall asleep if I have to listen to more than one of his songs in a row.

Tried out Yes Lawd, couldn't get past 3 songs. Malibu was better, but still, just doesn't work for me.

I love him, very smooth stuff on both records he put out this year. His albums have been filling the role Madlib's Shades of Blue did in the past for me, just something to put on when I just want to cool it for a bit.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

I tried to listen to him but just couldn't get into him. IDK if it was his voice or what.

i liked jefferey a lot the first couple times but i put it on earlier and wasn't feeling it. thug has a lot of potential to do some really cool and interesting **** but i doubt he ever will

Used to despise Thugger, but I've started to like him somewhat recently. I like him a lot on features or duets, but not so much on his own. I guess I can only take him in small doses.

There was only like 2 or 3 songs on Jeffrey I liked. Riri was my favorite. His best stand alone song, imo, is probably "I Know There's Gonna Be Good Times" even though that's technically Jamie xx's song and there's a small Popcaan part.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
As for the Cole album, I only listened to it once so far, and was mostly in the background, and nothing stood out immediately. Definitely more of a concept album. Based on one listen I'd say it's probably his worst album, not that it's bad though.

I'll give it a few more listens to form a better opinion. I didn't start loving 2014 Forest Hills Drive til like my 3rd listen.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Lil Yahtzee's verse on Broccoli is an instant skip/fast forward for me. The song's hook is catchy as all hell though.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Also apparently the L.O.X. dropped an album yesterday or something. I'l check it out, report back.
Yea, it's not that good.

I actually thought that the L.O.X. might transition pretty well to 2016 because their sort of hyper-masculine thug rap should mix pretty well with modern production, but it really doesn't. They have a few crossover/trap inspired tracks, and they aren't very good, which is disappointing. The more 1995 the beats sound, the better the L.O.X. work.

Kind of sad to think of the fact that none of the L.O.X. members will have a classic album. Perhaps that's related to the fact their sound only works in one style. Once songs become about anything other than killing people they struggle.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The Cudi album was just as boring as J Cole's imo and almost twice as long lol. I did like the beats a lot though, and it's definitely a step in the right direction from SB2H

void

Jan 5, 2006
I was never a huge fan of Run The Jewels but RTJ3 is insane. :amazed:

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
This Dave east album is really, really good...

Edit: so I've been through the album about 3 times now. I haven't heard a better one all of last year

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad