Music: The Official Hip-Hop Thread: Part VIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
j. cole was lucky and benefited from getting hype in a period (around 08-10) where rap was sort of in a lull, just prior to a slew of actually good and interesting rappers coming out.
I agree with this take on J Cole. There was a definite period of time when the rap scene was just a wasteland.

There wasn't really a solid, relevant mainstream lyricist in the game as Em basically fell off the map, the 90's rap sound was dead, Yeezy was trying to do R&B, Nas was on some irrelevant old man ****, and Jay was retired/spitting lazy, trash bars.

The underground scene was pretty trash as well. Def Jux was dead and EL-P's career kind of looked over, Doom was doing the same irrelevant **** he's still doing today, I think everyone was kind of getting tired of Mood Muzik, Little Brother had released a poor album, then broke up, and a lot of really great early 00's underground acts either stopped producing music, or fell into a sort of black hole.

Honestly the only sort of hip hop genre that I can think of that was even remotely decent was the sort of college educated white-guy super-backpack demographic stuff like Aesop Rock/Elzhi/Atmosphere/Reflection Eternal.

There really wasn't a marketable major label lyricist in the game, labels got so desperate they even tried to make major stars out of MURS and Lupe Fiasco. J Cole always had flaws, but he was a marketable rapper that seemed to have both some level of skill and a respect of hip hop purism that was extremely lacking in that timeframe. A lot of people latched onto that persona, and he's been able to ride that wave for a while now.

That said, everything has just gone nuts since then, and J. Cole just isn't able to stand out against the actually dope artists that are dominating the game right now.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Disagree with both of these statements. J Cole IS a great emcee. When he's on, he has great flow, can pump out some great lyrics, and has good beat selection. Born Sinner, Friday Night Lights, Warm Up, Forest Hills Drive are all great projects, no matter what period of time you are talking. When you are talking about consistent quality of material, he is up there with the best of em. In fact, I consider him one of the best around.

The guy can flat out rap, no question about that. This time he tried was too hard to "deep" or whatever you wanna call it, and it didn't come out right. Even after that, he produced some really ****ing good tracks on this album. Collectively, it was a fail though due to some of the **** poor tracks.

Just finished listening to Vice City by Anonymuz, verdict - SOLID. The beats are really ****ing good, and he mostly does a good job of delivering over them. The guy can spit, no doubt, but his flow seemed kinda one dimensional to me on this album. Enjoyed it.

Naw, I don't really see it. His projects are decent and listenable, but he's just an okay emcee. Mechanically he's pretty average/above average for a 00's rapper, but he has a tendency to say some corny **** and tell stories a bit awkwardly.

That said, when you think of the sort of chaotic and/or hyper technical bars that you're seeing pumped out today by guys like Kendrick, Danny Brown, and Lupe Fiasco (in many ways the progenitor of this style) J Cole doesn't really compare. Very few guys today that just spit in a more traditional style can hang right now, and they are guys that murder every single bar. (for example, Pusha T)

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Agreed on J Cole, he's like a Bishop Nehru or Logic where I can listen to him and not want to turn it off but it just makes me wonder why I'm not listening to somebody else instead.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Just got back from Aesop Rock's show, it was awesome. They never missed a beat and the crowd was surprisingly hype for a bunch of white hipsters. Highlights were America the Beautiful, Mystery Fish, Rings, Kirby, TUFF, None Shall Pass, Jonathan & Oatmeal Cookies. Also got my vinyl copy of The Impossible Kid signed, all around a great time. Would recommend seeing him

Last edited:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Naw, I don't really see it. His projects are decent and listenable, but he's just an okay emcee. Mechanically he's pretty average/above average for a 00's rapper, but he has a tendency to say some corny **** and tell stories a bit awkwardly.

That said, when you think of the sort of chaotic and/or hyper technical bars that you're seeing pumped out today by guys like Kendrick, Danny Brown, and Lupe Fiasco (in many ways the progenitor of this style) J Cole doesn't really compare. Very few guys today that just spit in a more traditional style can hang right now, and they are guys that murder every single bar. (for example, Pusha T)

Definitely agree. Cole is pretty generic and just boring, though his music isn't bad per say. I'm also biased, I think Lupe is fantastic and often gets overlooked.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
2016 is coming to an end, what are your favorite hip hop albums of 2016?

My top 10 in order:
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
ATCQ - We got it from here
Aesop Rock - Impossible Kid
Death Grips - Bottomless Pit
Clipping - Splendor & Misery
Ka - Honor Killed The Samurai
Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered
YG - Still Brazy
Noname - Telefone
Denzel Curry - Imperial

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way

Cole doesn't have the same technical ability on bars as Kendrick, or Brown, but his flow is great. He does well with this limitation. The only sign of a good emcee shouldn't be his ability to throw bars. If that was the case, then you can bring in TechN9ne into the convo. However, TechN9ne has one generic flow that he uses everywhere.

At the end of the day, this is music, so how the overall sound comes together makes a big difference. Danny Brown's voice in most songs is annoying as ****, and I feel his high pitchy stuff really brings down some of the songs a notch for me.

Cole's music sounds better to me when he gets it right. The beats and his flow go very well together. The one consistent complaint I have against him is the fact that his songs generally lack variations in his albums. 2014 and Born Sinner were exceptions, but even Friday Night Lights had that feel to me.

My top 3 of the year so far:

TLOP (Kanye)
T4YS...-_- (ATCQ)
Atrocity Exhibition (Danny Brown)

Still need to do some catchup for a top 5/top 10. Vice City will probably end up in my top 5.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Basically every notable project that's gonna come out this year is out so now's a good time to do my final big list. IMO this year has been incredible, for reference I only had one 9/10 last year.

9/10:
Death Grips - Bottomless Pit
Injury Reserve - Floss
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
A Tribe Called Quest - We Got it From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service

8/10:
Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid
Anderson .Paak - Malibu
YG - Still Brazy
NxWorries - Yes Lawd!
Blueprint & Aesop Rock - Vigilante Genesis
Elzhi - Lead Poison
Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered.
L'Orange & Mr. Lif - The Life & Death of Scenery

7/10:
Royce 5'9" - LAYERS
Denzel Curry - Imperial
ScHoolboy Q - Blank Face LP
Flatbush ZOMBiES - 3001: A Laced Odyssey
BADBADNOTGOOD - IV
Aesop Rock & Homeboy Sandman - Lice Two - Still Buggin'
Atmosphere - Fishing Blues

6/10:
Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
Gucci Mane - Everybody Looking
Vince Staples - Prima Donna
YG - Red Friday
Chance the Rapper - Coloring Book
Kid Cudi - Passion, Pain & Demon Slayin'
STATIK KXNG - Self-titled

5/10:
Royce 5'9" - Tabernacle: Trust the Shooter
De La Soul - and the Anonymous Nobody...
J. Cole - 4 Your Eyez Only
Tory Lanez - I Told You

4/10:
Dalek - Asphalt for Eden
Rae Sremmurd - SremmLife 2
Drake - VIEWS
The Game - 1992
J Dilla - The Diary
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - This Unruly Mess I've Made
Future - EVOL

3/10:
Gucci Mane - WOPTOBER
Future - Purple Reign
Desiigner - New English
PARTYNEXTDOOR - PARTYNEXTDOOR 3
Snoop Dogg & Daz Dillinger - Cuzznz

2/10:
Travis Scott - Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight
Yung Lean - Warlord
Young Thug - JEFFERY
Snoop Dogg - COOLAID

1/10:
Lil Yachty - Lil Boat

Fav. tracks:
Injury Reserve featuring Cakes da Killa - What's Goodie
Danny Brown - Ain't it Funny
Aesop Rock - Mystery Fish
Death Grips - Three Bedrooms in a Good Neighbourhood
A Tribe Called Quest - The Space Program

Least fav. tracks:
Young Thug - Harambe
Lil Yachty - Intro

Fav. verse:
A Tribe Called Quest - The Space Program (verse 1 - Q-Tip & Jarobi White)

Least fav. verse:
Young Thug featuring Gucci Mane, Travis Scott & Gunna - Floyd Mayweather (verse 5 - Travis Scott)

Bangers:
YG - Who Shot Me?
Gucci Mane - No Sleep (Intro)
Injury Reserve - Oh ****!!!
Travis Scott & Young Thug featuring Quavo - Pick Up the Phone
Injury Reserve featuring Cakes da Killa - What's Goodie
Run the Jewels - Talk to Me

void

Jan 5, 2006
2/10 for JEFFREY? Come on. I'm not even a fan of Young Thug but that was a solid project.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I know this will probably kill any credibility I have as one of these "real hip hop" fans, but my favorite song this year was probably "broccoli". I just can't deny how insanely catchy it is.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm inclined to agree about Broccoli. I'm a bit of a hip hop "elitist" to at least some degree but that song is just way too catchy. Legitimately might be the best bass line I've ever heard.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I'm inclined to agree about Broccoli. I'm a bit of a hip hop "elitist" to at least some degree but that song is just way too catchy. Legitimately might be the best bass line I've ever heard.
It sucks because there has been so much good hip hop this year and I feel bad for thinking that a borderline mumble rap song is my favorite song of the year, but it is so undeniable. Has some of the best production I've heard...well ever tbh.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Just finished Bobby Tarantino by Logic and it was a sick project. Flexicution, Wrist, 44 bars are great tracks. Definitely one of the best I've heard this year.

This project reminded me of Vice City with the beats. Awesome.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I kept hearing this so I checked it out and hated it. Pick Up the Phone is what kept it from being equal to Lil Boat to me
Yea I hate it as well. I can stomach some level of trap and mumble rap, but Young Thug has garbage raps and doesn't really have good melodies either. I don't understand it at all.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I just don't understand how people say that it's hype or fun to listen to. It just sounds like a bunch of random noises jammed together to me. For example, that CoCo song from last year wasn't really my thing, but I understand how people liked it because the beat did go hard as ****. Young Thug doesn't, it's just horrible to me.

I also hate the ****ing hipsters that try and pretend like Young Thug is some super-progressive sound that's redefining the English language and **** when he's really just a guy that mumbles a bunch of incoherent mumble vomit onto tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad