Speculation: The Official Bjugstad Thread: Alias Hate and Love not far from each other

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Bjugstad would be fine if he was paid less and Smith/Marchessault weren't sacrificed to keep him.

Looked fine on the 3rd line with McCann and Brickley at the start of the season. He is a complementary player who is overpaid.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
The thing that makes Bjugturd such a polarizing figure on this board is the false advertising. You have a 6"6 monster Center who was drafted high, and looked promising in his first few seasons. What we are seeing now is a complete failure of a person to succesfully utilize his skill set. And thats infuriating.

Either he has bad coaches or he straight up refuses to listen to his coaches. Also, society does not favor obviously apparent stupidity.. Bjugturd shows time and time again that he does not have the wit to be sucessful in a fast paced league like the NHL

Add to the fact he gets 'special protection' from the lord of the land sir tallon.

So you have someone that looks like hes something hes not [a top 6 forward], who is dumb, and who gets special protection from the ruling class . Sounds to me like a classic archetype for the spoiled incompetent prince that ends up at the guillotine once the people revolt.
Or he's got bad ass back problems.

Not everybody is Ovechkin and puts up 30 goals while playing hurt.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
People said he quit, didnt care, then hated on when he didnt thank the fans fast enough
People try to compare it to Bouwmeester, but Soup didn't quit on this team while he played nor did he express desire to leave at the deadline like Bouwmeester did.

Maybe Bouwmeester was hurt around the deadline that year, his poor play was a result, and I got it all wrong. I'm willing to accept that truth and apologize for all the times I blamed Jaybo for when it looked like he stopped playing with any bit of heart. But he really went from like the best defenseman in the league(IMO) to someone who would easily let people by.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Not sure what the point of this thread is when every thread is a Bjugstad hate/love thread.
I am hoping people will be considerate and put their trade talk about Bjugstad or how they want to get rid of him in this thread as the GDTs have gotten out of control the past month or so.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I guess you weren’t here after management “blew it up” and every thread was people complaining about the defense.
Oh you mean the posts about the entire team? That was relevant after those moves directly were followed by a sharp turn in the direction from where team had been trending for 2 years in a row?
And that's after years and years of suckatude, thinking we're finally past that crap, only to be sent back down that road just to stroke ownership's ego. Yeah, that's exactly the same as Bjugstad. :sarcasm:

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I honestly think the issue with Bjugstad is mental. He needs to simplify his game and do what he does best, which is shoot the puck. I think he also needs to play meaner and more aggressive. He seems like a nice guy off the ice, but he has to show a different dimension while on the ice. When the puck isn't going in for him, which it isn't right now, he's a non-factor...doesn't play PK, isn't great defensively and doesn't get much PP time either. It's almost like he could benefit from a stint in the AHL to get some confidence back. I just don't see a point in trading him at this point, to be honest. The return is going to be underwhelming and it likely won't provide us with anything useful right away, plus we'll likely have to retain salary.

I don't agree that he's waiver fodder or that he's not an NHLer. I think he is a useful top 9 guy, but I can see why there's so much animosity towards him due to his draft position, size, shot, etc. He just hasn't been able to put it all together. Especially this season, with the amount of opportunities he's been given in the top 6 and hasn't really been able to run with them.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I honestly think the issue with Bjugstad is mental. He needs to simplify his game and do what he does best, which is shoot the puck. I think he also needs to play meaner and more aggressive. He seems like a nice guy off the ice, but he has to show a different dimension while on the ice. When the puck isn't going in for him, which it isn't right now, he's a non-factor...doesn't play PK, isn't great defensively and doesn't get much PP time either. It's almost like he could benefit from a stint in the AHL to get some confidence back. I just don't see a point in trading him at this point, to be honest. The return is going to be underwhelming and it likely won't provide us with anything useful right away, plus we'll likely have to retain salary.

I don't agree that he's waiver fodder or that he's not an NHLer. I think he is a useful top 9 guy, but I can see why there's so much animosity towards him due to his draft position, size, shot, etc. He just hasn't been able to put it all together. Especially this season, with the amount of opportunities he's been given in the top 6 and hasn't really been able to run with them.
Yes, I agree with that. These two sentences right here would help him so much.
If I were a coach for the Panthers, I would do one thing. I would take Barkov and say, "you see this puck, this is yours. Don't give it up to anybody, including teammates. You see that opposing net, that's your only focus, just do one thing, go towards that, and put this puck in there. When the other team shuts you off, that's when you look for another option". Then I would take Bjugstad and tell him the same thing.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com

I also don’t think he’s waiver fodder. If the guy was making 1-1.5 Million I think we would all be ok with him on the team
if he made a lot less but his high cap hit and the fact it seems like Tallon banked on his potential and protected him in the expansion draft over 2 better forwards that were cheap and have an expansion team in 1st place in the league disgusts many of us to no end.

Regarding his “talent” it seems like he is shot mentally. He has the physical tools to be a force out there. His skating is above average, his imposing size and his board game is excellent, he gets his stick on a lot of pucks because of his long reach similar to how Barkov does and his shot is beyond blistering. So what happened to this guy? I would like to say his injuries made him jittery about wanting to pay the price to score perhaps? Maybe he’s just comfortable being just one of the guys on the team and he doesn’t aspire to be a very good player anymore since he got paid. Whatever it is I don’t think I have ever seen an enigma like the guy with all those physical tools and no idea what to do with it. Just imagine if Bjugstad had Huberdeau’s tenacity to his game! The guy would be a perennial all star but alas he’s just an overpaid 3rd liner playing with a top 10 Center and providing nothing but secondary assists off the boards.

Reactions: ShootIt

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
As has been stated previously; Bjugstad needs to shoot more. However, he has/had a rifle shot one-timer from near the faceoff dot on the powerplay. But there is no one out there to set him up for that shot.

His best years were when he was the first or second line center. We know that won't happen again with Barkov and Trochek here though.

So what should happen? IMO, a good start would setting him up for that one-timer and see if that works.

Maybe get his confidence back.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
That's probably why he hasn't been scratched yet. He'd never recover from it and would probably be worse afterwards.

Aww poor lil baby, might hurt his feelings, might make him feel useless. The truth hurts Bjuggy.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
As has been stated previously; Bjugstad needs to shoot more. However, he has/had a rifle shot one-timer from near the faceoff dot on the powerplay. But there is no one out there to set him up for that shot.

His best years were when he was the first or second line center. We know that won't happen again with Barkov and Trochek here though.

So what should happen? IMO, a good start would setting him up for that one-timer and see if that works.

Maybe get his confidence back.
He is fourth on the team in shots and I think I heard during one of our recent games, he leads the team in high danger chances. He's slumping and snake bit. Same thing happened to Smith last season, but not as long. Needs to keep shooting and shooting.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He is fourth on the team in shots and I think I heard during one of our recent games, he leads the team in high danger chances. He's slumping and snake bit. Same thing happened to Smith last season, but not as long. Needs to keep shooting and shooting.

No Smiths streak was just as bad, he went 28 games last year with 3 goals. He hit a ton of posts, missed high and wide, whiffed on open nets and shot directly at the goalies logo.

Boughner should give Nick more PP time to shoot and score to get some mojo going. If he can't get scoring then at least you've tried everything for him in the top 6.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017

I think you are right on.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
McCann and Bjugstad both have 0 since January 1st lol

But only one cost us 4.1 Million caphit, the real Money he earns, get straight up the next 3 Years.
But McCann last Games special in the Fo also pretty worse not good for an Center under 40%. But that both cant score is not a good Sign, or how someone call it befor "Medicorecity" all the Way.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00