The Official Android Thread Part XV: Time For Some Oreo!

Jori

Not sure who to blame really. Not everyone reads tech blogs or follows tech news closely. However, I received three separate notifications encouraging me to return the Note 7. I received emails from Samsung and T-Mobile; also there was a pop up notification on the device itself.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with the device that I returned over the weekend. Yet, when the manufacturer is encouraging you to shut it down, stop using it, and return it; then that's what I'm going to do. I was of a mind to keep the device until new stock was available, but I have seen the light and the device is now back with T-Mobile.

I most likely will buy another Note 7, but if the new Nexus/Pixel is announced prior to new stock availability, I can always change my mind :nod:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Not sure who to blame really. Not everyone reads tech blogs or follows tech news closely. However, I received three separate notifications encouraging me to return the Note 7. I received emails from Samsung and T-Mobile; also there was a pop up notification on the device itself.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with the device that I returned over the weekend. Yet, when the manufacturer is encouraging you to shut it down, stop using it, and return it; then that's what I'm going to do. I was of a mind to keep the device until new stock was available, but I have seen the light and the device is now back with T-Mobile.

I most likely will buy another Note 7, but if the new Nexus/Pixel is announced prior to new stock availability, I can always change my mind :nod:

Samsung has done everything they can to tell people to return their Notes. Some carriers really butchered it early on by telling people to keep their phones and not honouring Samsung's announcement, but now that it's much, much worse than originally anticipated and every Note 7 except the China variants are ticking time bombs, carriers are starting to get their **** together, too. Some people are willing to risk themselves because they don't want to wait for another Note 7, or go through the hassle of setting up another phone even though Samsung is offering S7s and S7es and offering to payout the difference to the customer - no. They'd rather hold on to it. Then you get cases like this six-year-old whose parents let him play with the phone and it ended up exploding in his hands.

It sucks for Samsung who really seemed to be firing on all cylinders in 2016, first with their S7 and S7e phones and then, initially, the Note 7, but now a mandatory recall, over $5-billion lost over the Note 7 itself, Apple announcing the iPhone 7 in the midst of all this and Google's Pixel being released by next month. It's all just really bad timing for Samsung. The Note 7 is pretty much a write-off and Samsung better hope the stigma doesn't stick with them heading into 2017 because to casuals, any Samsung "7" is a "fire phone".

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Oh I agree. This should solely be on the shoulders of whoever let the kid play with a phone that should have been returned long ago.

"Oh well it [was] 35 out of a million..." Every phone except China's variants are ticking time bombs.

And now it's more than 35 and up to 2.5-million.

The crazy thing is that 35 out of a million is a huge problem. Let's say they sell 20 million. That's potentially 700 explosions. I see some Samsung apologists around saying that it's a tiny margin of failure. I find that utterly laughable. 35 exploding devices is pretty massive, frankly.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Samsung has done everything they can to tell people to return their Notes. Some carriers really butchered it early on by telling people to keep their phones and not honouring Samsung's announcement, but now that it's much, much worse than originally anticipated and every Note 7 except the China variants are ticking time bombs, carriers are starting to get their **** together, too. Some people are willing to risk themselves because they don't want to wait for another Note 7, or go through the hassle of setting up another phone even though Samsung is offering S7s and S7es and offering to payout the difference to the customer - no. They'd rather hold on to it. Then you get cases like this six-year-old whose parents let him play with the phone and it ended up exploding in his hands.

It sucks for Samsung who really seemed to be firing on all cylinders in 2016, first with their S7 and S7e phones and then, initially, the Note 7, but now a mandatory recall, over $5-billion lost over the Note 7 itself, Apple announcing the iPhone 7 in the midst of all this and Google's Pixel being released by next month. It's all just really bad timing for Samsung. The Note 7 is pretty much a write-off and Samsung better hope the stigma doesn't stick with them heading into 2017 because to casuals, any Samsung "7" is a "fire phone".

In France, they are going to send out remote kills to unreturned Note phones it sounds like.

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
Samsung is down like $16Bn or something. I wasn't particularly interest in the note 7, but here's to hoping that samsung lowers the price of the note 7 to entice buys back to their brand, that or offer other incentives.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto

I have the S7 Edge and am now constantly asked if my phone is going to blow up or if its the one that blows up….

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
All the batteries catching fire makes me wonder if companies would try and go back to removable batteries. :sarcasm:

Just think of the heat Samsung would be avoiding, if people could just walk into their local B&M, and get a new OEM battery, swap out the old one, and walk out with their phone.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
All Samsung had to do was not rush to get their phone out. What a disaster. As an attorney who has dealt with a good amount of product defect stuff, this is a classic example of a case where a rush to release resulted in a dangerous product. I guarantee you that the lawsuit will show internal emails about trying to beat Apple to market. It's just how this works.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
All Samsung had to do was not rush to get their phone out. What a disaster. As an attorney who has dealt with a good amount of product defect stuff, this is a classic example of a case where a rush to release resulted in a dangerous product. I guarantee you that the lawsuit will show internal emails about trying to beat Apple to market. It's just how this works.
Pretty much this.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
This might be the worst failure from a phone I can think of in... maybe ever. I can't think of another phone having issues this awful. I'd kill for Sony, LG and HTC to swoop in and not suck, but yeah... LG V20 might be the only one who can pull that off.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
How does an exploding phone make it through testing?

Samsung wanted to beat Apple to market and decided to rush QC/QA. They are going to pay with massive lawsuits, recalls, lost revenue, etc. And their standing in the market will be poisoned by this in the future.

As much as I love their TVs, I have never once really enjoyed a Samsung phone. Had a few of them in the past (last one was a GS4). Issues every single time.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I've heard about "Samsung lag" and such, and have seen my tech-ignorant parents struggle with even updating the OS without concern, but this is almost beyond belief.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
TouchWiz (and whatever they call it now since it still lags) is just pure garbage. Samsung can't design an OS to save their lives.

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If Google gets their **** together (I wouldn't count on it considering their attention spans when it comes to software, namely, messaging apps) they can really dig into Samsung's market share now with the Pixel phones for those Samsung users who aren't switching to iPhones.

If Google can really market their new phones as the Android version of the iPhone, premium, clean software, etc., now would be the perfect time to do it.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
If Google gets their **** together (I wouldn't count on it considering their attention spans when it comes to software, namely, messaging apps) they can really dig into Samsung's market share now with the Pixel phones for those Samsung users who aren't switching to iPhones.

If Google can really market their new phones as the Android version of the iPhone, premium, clean software, etc., now would be the perfect time to do it.

They've had that, it was called Nexus (now Pixel, but I associate Pixel with pretty, but overpriced HW).

And you can even buy the 6P in Best Buy. It's got an awesome aluminum unibody shell, OLED 1440p screen, premium Sony sensor w/ dual flash, stereo speakers, and USB C.

Anecdotal story, twice this week, I've pulled out my 6P, first at the bar on Sunday, and today during work, and each of my co-workers (both of whom own different Samsung Galaxys) thought it was a Samsung or Droid. :(

It's all about marketing. I only when with Android because of Nexus and their more reasonable pricing and OS updates...I just can't afford to spend $700-800 on a phone.

That's the rub for Google. People associate Android with Samsung. Now, after nearly a decade, Google has to deal with the 800 lb gorilla in the room that are the US carriers and OEMs.

(however, long-term, Google needs to get another design of CPUs IMO, Qualcomm is just letting them down).

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Should I wait out for the cheaper version of the Pixel... Or should I buy the One Plus 3?

My phone just died and I'd love to get one right away... but I also think the Pixel is going to be beautiful.

Someone help pls. Anyone have a OP3 and loves it?

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Just updated my 6p to Android 7 and I have noticed some performance issues, specially when I scroll on the web, it's very choppy, anyone with a different experience?

Edit: Nm, seems much faster after I restartedy device. So far so good, I like a split screen feature, not sure I'll use it much but I think it's done well.

Last edited:

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

Google needs to cut the crap and call it the "Google Phone" or something actually marketable. Nexus? Pixel? WTF is this crap? To the average person it sounds like some cheap rubbish like Huawei.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Should I wait out for the cheaper version of the Pixel... Or should I buy the One Plus 3?

My phone just died and I'd love to get one right away... but I also think the Pixel is going to be beautiful.

Someone help pls. Anyone have a OP3 and loves it?

I was thinking OP3 until I saw this news: http://www.androidcentral.com/onepl...=slider&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=ac

I don't know what this means for the future of software updates, but OP already has a pretty poor track record, and I can't imagine this means it'll be getting better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad